Georgia player dies

I bet the insurance they had on the car has already paid it's limits. Unfortunately the law in Georgia is pretty clear that drag racing on public streets is outside the scope of employment, so this is one of those weird things where the news is so bad, it's good for the University itself.
I'm pretty sure drag racing is outside the scope of anybody's employment everywhere.

It still is problematic for UGA simply because you had university staff involved, using university assets (or things that the university had control over, like a leased car), and the negligence of a university employee led to this happening. She was doing stuff that clearly ran against university policies, sure, I bet UGA still gets sued and ends up paying something to make it go away. If sued, UGA could play the whole thing out and probably end up in the clear, but I doubt they'd want that.

I bet the insurance they had on the car has already paid it's limits. Unfortunately the law in Georgia is pretty clear that drag racing on public streets is outside the scope of employment, so this is one of those weird things where the news is so bad, it's good for the University itself.

I am sure there is a lawyer who will argue it was the BAC not the racing that was chief cause of accident and UGA is still on hook because she was obviously acting in an official capacity after a football event in a football rented vehicle.

Don’t see how they get off hook.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I am sure there is a lawyer who will argue it was the BAC not the racing that was chief cause of accident and UGA is still on hook because she was obviously acting in an official capacity after a football event in a football rented vehicle.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd surmise they would ultimately be off the hook in a lawsuit because she was violating university policy by driving the vehicle to begin with (it was supposed to be used for recruiting activities only). Regardless of whether she was drunk or racing.

However, that certainly doesn't mean they can't be sued. Any situation like this where an employee is involved opens up a liability situation. I'm sure they will be sued, and to prevent spending even more money on lawyers and having it drag out in the press for months/years, I'll bet they pay something hefty to the families to make it go away.

Reactions: Plecoptera
With deaths involved during the street racing, why would the charges not include a felony charge?

I've practiced law in Georgia for 20 years and it's pretty cut and dry that drag racing is outside the scope of one's employment, that's a legal defense that would be decided by a judge not a jury. In any event, I strongly suspect that whatever insurance policy UGA had on the vehicle has paid it's policy limits already because the insurance policy would be on the hook for the driver's negligence also, so it's a no brainer.

The fact that some lived is indeed a miracle.
Always wear your seatbelt. One of the people who survived (and with only minor injuries, if I'm remembering correctly) was wearing his. I think the other person hospitalized with more serious injuries was wearing theirs as well. LeCroy and Willock were not.

Reactions: jp1

VN Store

Back