Georgia player dies

Exactly right. It's dumb to act indignant about somebody asking some pretty standard questions.
Yep. Georgia fans like to thump their chest about doing things the right way when the fluff stories are coming out. This is ugly, they don’t like it but fans should expect a high standard for their program. I hate it given the circumstances but it should be a story and was going to be.

Nobody except alumni cares about Ga Tech athletics.
Mostly true, however people need to understand that the Atlanta paper is not in UGA's pocket like say, the Athens papers may be. Going back to old Furman Bisher, the Atlanta paper has a history of going after UGA athletics when needed. Tech is their hometown team.

Reactions: VolNExile
Bulldog minions going after the head sports writer of the Atlanta newspaper and he isn’t even the one doing the journalism investigation

They calling Chip Towers every name in the book

Dont fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

This is somewhat similar for GA fans to the TRob arrest in Jan 1986, although that did not involve 2 people losing their life, one week after winning the Sugar Bowl vs Miami. Tony Robinson and BB Cooper were arrested for selling drugs the week following the game while VolNation was still celebrating the victory and great season. It was a big kick in the balls. Prayers go to the families but these things need to be exposed, especially when public institutions are involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLnBama01
That Twitter thread is amazing. I have no doubt our fans would act just as dumb . . . but the situation has obvious questions.
I think Chip (or the editor) did themselves a disservice by titling the article the way they did. The fact that they went to a strip club before, by itself, isn't super relevant. I mean, they could have been visiting sick kids at the hospital before the wreck; it doesn't really matter. 95% of the criticism in the Twitter thread is seizing on that, and there is a lot of "why does it matter where they were before???" type of comments.

It's more the fact that UGA staffers were out with players at that time of night, and driving like that. The accident raises obvious questions.

I think Chip (or the editor) did themselves a disservice by titling the article the way they did. The fact that they went to a strip club before, by itself, isn't super relevant. I mean, they could have been visiting sick kids at the hospital before the wreck; it doesn't really matter. 95% of the criticism in the Twitter thread is seizing on that, and there is a lot of "why does it matter where they were before???" type of comments.

It's more the fact that UGA staffers were out with players at that time of night, and driving like that. The accident raises obvious questions.
It is also pointing to the potential for DUI. If the four were seen leaving any bar type of establishment at 2am, the same questions would have been asked. I would suspect the majority of articles dealing with deadly auto crashes would attempt to understand where the subjects had been immediately prior to the crash as it could be a clue as to what contributed to the accident.

It is also pointing to the potential for DUI. If the four were seen leaving any bar type of establishment at 2am, the same questions would have been asked. I would suspect the majority of articles dealing with deadly auto crashes would attempt to understand where the subjects had been immediately prior to the crash as it could be a clue as to what contributed to the accident.
Yeah, I mean I see where he's trying to go, but ultimately the judgment about a DUI should come after the toxicology stuff comes back.

The questions that are getting asked about the accident would still be relevant even if they didn't leave a strip club before.

It matters just because it unfortunately adds to the pile of bad ideas that were going on that night: School employee hanging out with students . . . late at night . . . at a strip club . . . using a car probably rented by the AD . . . driving reckless . . . etc. There are huge liability issues to sort out.

It matters just because it unfortunately adds to the pile of bad ideas that were going on that night: School employee hanging out with students . . . late at night . . . at a strip club . . . using a car probably rented by the AD . . . driving reckless . . . etc. There are huge liability issues to sort out.
It's all of that stuff, added up, that is relevant. By mentioning the strip club in kind of a click baity way, he allows the idiots in the replies to easily dismiss everything that follows, which is relevant.

The story is relevant because we're talking university employee with students + car probably owned or rented by the AD + driving reckless. They could have been leaving church on a Sunday morning, stone cold sober, and there would still be relevant questions.

It absolutely matters where they were before.

Staffers at a strip club would be news on it's own. Staffers at a strip club with players raises some huge red flags, and could easily have led to the events of their wreck and thus been entirely relevant.

Even if neither staffer had any alcohol or drugs the other passengers could have been under the influence and distracting the driver. Even if no one was under any influence at all, they were coming from an NC celebration, and had been to a strip club, and were undoubtedly feeling a bit frisky and probably invincible.

It's completely changes the tone vs a hospital.

It absolutely matters where they were before.

Staffers at a strip club would be news on it's own. Staffers at a strip club with players raises some huge red flags, and could easily have led to the events of their wreck and thus been entirely relevant.

Even if neither staffer had any alcohol or drugs the other passengers could have been under the influence and distracting the driver. Even if no one was under any influence at all, they were coming from an NC celebration, and had been to a strip club, and were undoubtedly feeling a bit frisky and probably invincible.

It's completely changes the tone vs a hospital.
If you change that one detail, then the story is still a story, no? You'd still have a situation where university employees were with university students, in a car probably owned/rented by the AD, and driving crazy. That's why I say it isn't super relevant where they were before.

I get your point but from my experience, there’s usually some pretty shady $h!t going down at strip clubs.
Knowing what I know now and the fact that my maturity level has finally passed that of an 8th grader(most of the time) I would not be happy about my players or kids being at a strip club.
Nothing positive can come of it, period!

Staggering huge. If he is a true bulldog, Kirby should be working on his resignation announcement right now. He should be terminated, with case, by the end of the month.

What kind of sicko puts the team celebration buffet at The Katch One? Ten year show/cause ban for Kirby Dummy; death penalty for football program. All existing players are free to transfer wherever they wish to go. As team leader, Stetson Bennett should be locked away.

Georgia's Devin Willock, Chandler LeCroy were seen leaving strip club minutes before fatal crash: report (msn.com)

Reactions: Memvol44
Staggering huge. If he is a true bulldog, Kirby should be working on his resignation announcement right now. He should be terminated, with case, by the end of the month.

What kind of sicko puts the team celebration buffet at The Katch One? Ten year show/cause ban for Kirby Dummy; death penalty for football program. All existing players are free to transfer wherever they wish to go. As team leader, Stetson Bennett should be locked away.

Georgia's Devin Willock, Chandler LeCroy were seen leaving strip club minutes before fatal crash: report (msn.com)
Yeah . . . probably not. lol

Wow. Monday isn’t your favorite day, is it?

/blue font

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Atlanta paper getting hammered from all angles for their clickbait headline hidden behind a paywall.

Fox Sports 1 personality Shannon Sharpe and his inexcusable behavior - Poynter

Controversial story
The University of Georgia recently won the college football national championship, but then tragedy struck less than a week later as the team celebrated the title. Four connected with the program — two players and two athletic department employees — were involved in a single-car accident. Two were killed and the other two were injured.

On Sunday, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution wrote a story with the headline “Strip club visit raises questions about fatal UGA crash.” The story starts with: “A late-night visit to a strip club preceded a car crash that killed a University of Georgia football player and an employee of the school’s football program, raising questions about boundaries between the program’s staff and its athletes.”

The AJC received plenty of backlash, particularly on social media. AJC managing editor Leroy Chapman Jr. wrote a companion piece to the story in “Why we’re writing this story.”

Chapman pointed out the facts of the story: A university employee, Chandler LeCroy, was driving the rented vehicle. (A crash report from the Athens-Clarke County Police Department said the driver exceeded the 40 mph speed limit.) LeCroy was killed in the crash. Chapman wrote, “Why the four occupants of the SUV wound up together that night is important to understand. Those facts will determine who is ultimately accountable and what role the university’s decisions and policies might have played. The university is responsible for ensuring the safety and well-being of student athletes.”

Investigating what happened that night is certainly a story worth pursuing. But it doesn’t mean a story must be written. As far as we know so far, the four hanging out together — no matter where it was — was not illegal and doesn’t necessarily suggest it was a reason for the accident. Devin Willock, a player who was killed, was the youngest of the group. He was 20. LeCroy was 24. The other two passengers were 21 and 26.

This tweet from a Georgia fan makes a really smart point: “This is a public interest story in a multitude of ways, from the deaths of young people to questions around what exactly happened. The AJC *should* investigate this. But it’s nothing short of shameful to write that headline and hide the article behind a paywall.”

He adds, “By writing that headline, you’re (in)directly implying that crash happened because some kids were partying in Athens and went to the downtown strip club. In short, whether you meant to or not, you’re saying the strip club visit is tied to the crash; as a punishment or a cause.”

It's all of that stuff, added up, that is relevant. By mentioning the strip club in kind of a click baity way, he allows the idiots in the replies to easily dismiss everything that follows, which is relevant.

The story is relevant because we're talking university employee with students + car probably owned or rented by the AD + driving reckless. They could have been leaving church on a Sunday morning, stone cold sober, and there would still be relevant questions.
So he shouldn’t have mentioned the strip club bc Georgia fans will dismiss a lot of issues following?

Reactions: LadyVolette
If you change that one detail, then the story is still a story, no? You'd still have a situation where university employees were with university students, in a car probably owned/rented by the AD, and driving crazy. That's why I say it isn't super relevant where they were before.
Yeah it's still a story. But is it a tragic accident, or is it a completely preventable accident that never should have even started?

Yeah it's still a story. But is it a tragic accident, or is it a completely preventable accident that never should have even started?
Completely preventable that should have never happened. Especially if the toxicology stuff comes back that the driver was under the influence, but it was still preventable even if the driver was completely sober. That car had to have been traveling at an incredible rate of speed when it crashed, like something at or above interstate speeds on a winding 2-lane road.

It's still preventable, and honestly, still scandalous, even if they weren't at a strip joint right before the crash.

So he shouldn’t have mentioned the strip club bc Georgia fans will dismiss a lot of issues following?
Didn't say that - just said he made it really easy for people to dismiss it based on the title of the article. Of course, lots of UGA people would dismiss any article that asks questions, regardless of what it was titled, so maybe it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Didn't say that - just said he made it really easy for people to dismiss it based on the title of the article. Of course, lots of UGA people would dismiss any article that asks questions, regardless of what it was titled, so maybe it doesn't really matter.
“People” may dismiss it bc they don’t want to deal with it but this will end up being a big issue for Georgia.

Completely preventable that should have never happened. Especially if the toxicology stuff comes back that the driver was under the influence, but it was still preventable even if the driver was completely sober. That car had to have been traveling at an incredible rate of speed when it crashed, like something at or above interstate speeds on a winding 2-lane road.

It's still preventable, and honestly, still scandalous, even if they weren't at a strip joint right before the crash.
I am thinking the "atmosphere" at the strip club lead to good bit of the driving too fast, regardless of alcohol. They arent going to be paying all to much attention after a trip there, doubt they are busting 70 out of a hospitals parking lot.

Yes, it has lawsuit written all over it. Especially if the driver was under the influence.
Even if she wasn’t this will be a law suit. Traveling over the speed limit transporting a student athlete at around 3am. Definitely will get uglier if she was drinking bc of the whole university employee drinking with athletes is a whole other can of worms but this will end up in a lawsuit regardless at this point.

VN Store

Back