George Quarles Highest Winning Percentage HS Coach

I lived in Maryville during Quarles' entire tenure here. Neither my wife or I were from Maryville so we weren't vested in MHS as much as the parents who were Maryville natives. With no dog in the hunt, but getting the chance to follow them up close, I can tell you Quarles was truly great. The thing I loved was his willingness to gamble. He had a whole set of gadget plays and he would run them under any condition. He never got tight. He was always incredibly level. If you can find one online, look at any interview after a championship games. You can't tell if he won or lost.

When our daughter was about to go to MHS I called to see if I could get season tix. He answers the phone and very nicely tells me there's a freaking waiting list that's three years long.

I was absolutely stunned when he left. I understand serving your alma mater but he could have coached another 20 years and set some incredible records. Before anyone says it was money, it was rumored in town that he was well-compensated beyond the school pay.

Reactions: VolnJC
I lived in Maryville during Quarles' entire tenure here. Neither my wife or I were from Maryville so we weren't vested in MHS as much as the parents who were Maryville natives. With no dog in the hunt, but getting the chance to follow them up close, I can tell you Quarles was truly great. The thing I loved was his willingness to gamble. He had a whole set of gadget plays and he would run them under any condition. He never got tight. He was always incredibly level. If you can find one online, look at any interview after a championship games. You can't tell if he won or lost.

When our daughter was about to go to MHS I called to see if I could get season tix. He answers the phone and very nicely tells me there's a freaking waiting list that's three years long.

I was absolutely stunned when he left. I understand serving your alma mater but he could have coached another 20 years and set some incredible records. Before anyone says it was money, it was rumored in town that he was well-compensated beyond the school pay.

CGQ is a great coach but he is an even better person. My family and his family are friends and he's never once been arrogant or cocky about the success he had at the HS level. I always wanted him looked at for OC at UT but I guess that just wasn't in the cards.

I saw where Maryville beat Alcoa again, that's like 17 out of the last 20

Reactions: Pappy
CGQ is a great coach but he is an even better person. My family and his family are friends and he's never once been arrogant or cocky about the success he had at the HS level. I always wanted him looked at for OC at UT but I guess that just wasn't in the cards.

He interviewed with Fulmer and OC Dave Clawson for a spot on Tennessee's coaching staff in 2008. It's a good thing for him that he didn't get it.

Quarles actually got off to a bit of a rocky start. He was just 10-7 in his first 17 games at Maryville after taking over in 1999. He went 240-9 after that.

Reactions: tn4elvis

Look at the enrollment difference. Alcoa’s guys have to play both ways the whole game while Maryville can platoon. Alcoa is hurting for a QB and is turning then all over.

There’s a reason he left and nobody wants to deal with it.

Reactions: Blkgto
He interviewed with Fulmer and OC Dave Clawson for a spot on Tennessee's coaching staff in 2008. It's a good thing for him that he didn't get it.

Quarles actually got off to a bit of a rocky start. He was just 10-7 in his first 17 games at Maryville after taking over in 1999. He went 240-9 after that.
That's incredible.I remember him losing 4 or 5 games his first year and they were almost ready to run him out of town.

Let’s just say it wasn’t for that awesome opportunity at Furman.
In your previous post, you teased: "There's a reason he left and nobody wants to deal with it," .

How is anyone supposed "to deal with it", if they don't know what you are talking about? If you didn't want to explain what that meant, then you shouldn't have brought it up.

In your previous post, you teased: "There's a reason he left and nobody wants to deal with it," .

How is anyone supposed "to deal with it", if they don't know what you are talking about? If you didn't want to explain what that meant, then you shouldn't have brought it up.
I don’t want to deal with it either.

VN Store

Back