Geno & UConn AD Call Out Fulmer

TrentVol

After Fulmer's statement on Uros Plavsic, Geno Auriemma and UConn AD David Benedict called out Fulmer for his "noncommittal" approach to Evina Westbrook's transfer move.

Auriemma: "I’m glad to see that Phil and I agree that everything should be done for the welfare of the student athlete,” Auriemma said Sunday after UConn’s exhibition game against Jefferson. “And I think Phil supports that. Now we just need him to contact the NCAA and say, ‘you know, I support it,’ and then I’m sure there’ll be a different outcome when the appeal goes in.”

UConn AD: "It’s nice to know that Phil Fulmer is in support of student athletes as we are here,” Benedict told The Courant Sunday afternoon. “I would publicly ask him to reconsider their position on not just not taking a position on the waiver, but actually being in support of the waiver and being in support of Evina, just as she would like the student athlete there to be immediately eligible.”

Geno Auriemma, UConn AD David Benedict call on Tennessee to support Evina Westbrook transfer waiver ahead of NCAA appeal

Also from the article:

𝗪𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝘅𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗮𝗿𝗴𝘂𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗨𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗪𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗯𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸’𝘀 𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗶𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗶𝘀 𝘂𝗻𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗻, 𝗔𝘂𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗺𝗺𝗮 𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗸𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗮 “𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗹” 𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗮𝘁 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗱𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲, 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻 𝗙𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 “𝗶𝗳 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗘𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗮 𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵, 𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝗻 𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗴𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲.”

Um, I think we already have a thread on the forum about this, don't we? Am I losing my mind? I hope not. Wait, it says here in this box score that Tennessee committed 29 fouls against ETSU?! Maybe I am losing my mind. Oh dear.

Also from the article:

𝗪𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝘅𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗮𝗿𝗴𝘂𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗨𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗪𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗯𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸’𝘀 𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗶𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗶𝘀 𝘂𝗻𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗻, 𝗔𝘂𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗺𝗺𝗮 𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗸𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗮 “𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗹” 𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗮𝘁 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗱𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲, 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻 𝗙𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 “𝗶𝗳 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗘𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗮 𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵, 𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝗻 𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗴𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲.”
What is all this?

Also from the article:

What "not normal" situation? If I were Tenn top dog, AD Fulmer, Coach K, we fans, maybe even the state legislature I would cancel any and all games now and in the future with UConn. Why the hell do we need them as an opponent anyway. Even in losing I think we draw more fans to games than they do and I would bet the Tenn. program "out earns" them on the bottom line. Again,,,, why the hell do we need them. (it's not us that needs them, it's them and there "friend" ESPN ---- big money game..)

Um, I think we already have a thread on the forum about this, don't we? Am I losing my mind? I hope not. Wait, it says here in this box score that Tennessee committed 29 fouls against ETSU?! Maybe I am losing my mind. Oh dear.

What does Um mean?

After Fulmer's statement on Uros Plavsic, Geno Auriemma and UConn AD David Benedict called out Fulmer for his "noncommittal" approach to Evina Westbrook's transfer move.

Auriemma: "I’m glad to see that Phil and I agree that everything should be done for the welfare of the student athlete,” Auriemma said Sunday after UConn’s exhibition game against Jefferson. “And I think Phil supports that. Now we just need him to contact the NCAA and say, ‘you know, I support it,’ and then I’m sure there’ll be a different outcome when the appeal goes in.”

UConn AD: "It’s nice to know that Phil Fulmer is in support of student athletes as we are here,” Benedict told The Courant Sunday afternoon. “I would publicly ask him to reconsider their position on not just not taking a position on the waiver, but actually being in support of the waiver and being in support of Evina, just as she would like the student athlete there to be immediately eligible.”

Geno Auriemma, UConn AD David Benedict call on Tennessee to support Evina Westbrook transfer waiver ahead of NCAA appeal
Guck Feno and the asshat UConn AD David Bened*ck and to hell with locker room cancer Evina Westbrook!:mad:

Also from the article:

That is the reason he can kiss Tennessee butt because that is a lie and he knows it.

.... “I would publicly ask him to reconsider their position on not just not taking a position on the waiver, but actually being in support of the waiver and being in support of Evina, just as she would like the student athlete there to be immediately eligible.”
l

Who is the "she"to whom he refers? I mean it's an official statement by the AD of a university.

Time for AD Fulmer to go curb stomp GA and all of U Conn's staff! Emphasis on U Conn! ;)

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Also from the article:

Yeah....I’m of the mind that if you want a favor from me, don’t publicly criticize my program/AD and basically say an investigation should have occurred

What Geeeeno is saying is: You hillbilly's should never have signed a player of Evina's caliber,you know they all come to Stors.Now that she is trying to correct the mistake you should help her.The not normal situation he speaks of is hard to figure out.I don't think we should ever play the cheatin ba####ds again.Cancel the game Phil,I'm up for it.Then listen to the little cry baby whine!!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer issued the following statement regarding men's basketball student-athlete Uroš Plavšić:

"Uros Plavsic was denied clearance to compete with our men's basketball program this season, and our appeal of that decision also was denied. We are extremely disappointed – quite frankly, stunned – in this outcome, and feel strongly that very compelling facts support clearance for immediate eligibility. We are at a loss as to how this decision aligns with a mission of prioritizing the well-being of student-athletes, and we are struggling to provide an explanation to a deserving young man who stands to lose a year of eligibility. We will stand by Uroš and support him in every way possible as we exhaust all options in advocating for his competitive opportunity."

I understand the point that Geno is trying to make, implying that Fulmer is hypocritical for supporting Plavsic's waiver and appeal but not full supporting Westbrooks. (Although we're left in the dark by the vagueness of what Geno thinks Westbrook's circumstances at UT were or what he thinks Fulmer could have done that he didn't.) But it seems very unlikely that his rant will 1) Cause Fulmer to change his stance regarding Westbrook with the NCAA since Geno nor UConn can offer any assistance with the Plavsic appeal which has already been denied. (So, unlike with military aid to eastern European countries, there can be no quid pro quo. ) Or 2) Make the NCAA more likely to grant the appeal on Westbrook.

Geno's rants and sarcasm are often Machiavellian and often have the effect or outcome he desires. I don't get this one, unless he's just trying to show the Westbrook family that he's left no stone unturned and that it's all somehow Tennessee's fault that Evina will be unable to play this year. Or maybe it's just a roundabout way to take a shot at the NCAA at Fulmer's expense.

The whole transfer issue is getting worse for the NCAA. They would be smart to either eliminate the "sit out a year rule" or end the waiver and appeal process completely. The waiver appeals make absolutely no sense because, unlike with recruiting violations where they can choose (and often do) to lighten a penalty, that is not really possible in this case -- it's either let them play or don't. And how would circumstances or the facts be different between the waiver request and a possible appeal?

I don't see what's wrong with the NCAA policy in effect in 90% of the sports they govern: A student athlete can transfer and play the next season for another school one time during their career.

The timing of the NCAA's actions on waiver requests is also bizarre. Why does it take so long? Not knowing whether one or two players will be allowed to play until a week or so before the season starts is ridiculous. This affects the players, the coaches, even the guy that puts the websites and the game programs and media guide together, lol.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Gena is vague in his response but let's be honest here Westbrook probably has true disdain, if not hate, for the Tennessee program.

Imo she was the best player on the team last year. One of the few real playmakers that could actually dribble without looking like Kareem Abdul Jabbar dribbling down the court. In spite Holly's incompetence she remained quiet throughout the year. Then they asked her a question after the expected loss in the post season. Then once again fans (Holly supporters) go nuts and started blaming her like they have done so often during Warlock's tenure. She did what a scorned person would do. Go to the top enemy that is on the schedule so she can put an absolute hurting on her old relationship.

To me, that would not be enough to gain immediate eligibility but if add a firing, and what appeared on the outside to be an absolute awful locker room then who knows.

VN Store

Back