Geno: Lady Vols are 'any other school now'

He didn't say it when Holly was there because Holly was no longer the coach when he got asked this question.

It's unreal how this thing is being taken out of context and blown out of proportion. All he's saying is that it's not the rivalry that it once was. No one can deny that. The journalist and outlet are just trying to spin for clicks and apparently it's working.

Well, don't defend him. He should've said that it will take time to get to where it use to be instead of saying that TN is just like another team out there.

Reactions: mlindsay
Well, don't defend him. He should've said that it will take time to get to where it use to be instead of saying that TN is just like another team out there.
Should have said? No way. Could have said? Maybe.

Dangerfield, Walker and Williams are all elite players. I believe Dangerfield is one of the best PGs in D1. Williams and Walker were both #1 ranked players. They played behind two seniors last year and I expect them to step up this year. Soph #5 ranked Nelson-Odada improved last year but still has a way to go. However, I believe that the UConn staff is as good as any when it comes to developing post players. After those 4 it gets a bit fuzzy. If Westbrook gets a waiver she will start and if she starts you will see her play to her potential. The only ranked recruit coming in is Aubrey Griffin currently ranked 21 on ESPN. Supposedly Auriemma is very high on her. He also has Evelyn Adebayo a transfer from Murray State. She averaged 18/11 last year. Polish guard Anna Makurat has also committed. I don't know anything about her but if Auriemma would go all the way to Poland to recruit her she must have something going.
I expect that UConn will be a final 4 team again this year. Possibly a NC contender if Westbrook plays.
People put to much stock into a players ranking coming out of high school. Sometimes it carries over into the next level, but often it does not. Some players if not peaked have almost reached their potential in high school. In today's WBB world when players play year-round from an early age and engage personal trainers to work on individual skills, there is often not much left to develop in that respect by the time they even get to college except physical development and working within a team concept.

Just because Walker and Williams #1 rated and elite in high school, does not mean they will be that in college. I know that the posters on the Boneyard have been disappointed in their expectations of Walker. They also had high expectations from Williams at the start of last season based on her rating and showing in the McD AA game. No player in the 18 class established themselves as #1 for the four years they were rated. It was a case of musical chairs. Williams just ended up at the top at the end. There really were no standouts throughout.

I suspect that Williams has little upside left. She is a solid and smart player who knows when to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves on the court. She is not, however, a go-to player who can consistently create her own shot. She does not possess the superior athleticism for that. The key is that she is subpar on defense and admits that she needs to get quicker. Footspeed is the key to playing good defense and you can only improve footspeed so much. That same footspeed is what creates a quick first step and is essential if you are not very fast for creating shots off the dribble. A good defender can always shut you down. While Westbrook is not as technically sound as Williams, she because of her quickness still has a bigger undeveloped upside. Unlike athleticism, you can increase your BB skills and court awareness.

People put to much stock into a players ranking coming out of high school. Sometimes it carries over into the next level, but often it does not. Some players if not peaked have almost reached their potential in high school. In today's WBB world when players play year-round from an early age and engage personal trainers to work on individual skills, there is often not much left to develop in that respect by the time they even get to college except physical development and working within a team concept.

Just because Walker and Williams #1 rated and elite in high school, does not mean they will be that in college. I know that the posters on the Boneyard have been disappointed in their expectations of Walker. They also had high expectations from Williams at the start of last season based on her rating and showing in the McD AA game. No player in the 18 class established themselves as #1 for the four years they were rated. It was a case of musical chairs. Williams just ended up at the top at the end. There really were no standouts throughout.

I suspect that Williams has little upside left. She is a solid and smart player who knows when to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves on the court. She is not, however, a go-to player who can consistently create her own shot. She does not possess the superior athleticism for that. The key is that she is subpar on defense and admits that she needs to get quicker. Footspeed is the key to playing good defense and you can only improve footspeed so much. That same footspeed is what creates a quick first step and is essential if you are not very fast for creating shots off the dribble. A good defender can always shut you down. While Westbrook is not as technically sound as Williams, she because of her quickness still has a bigger undeveloped upside. Unlike athleticism, you can increase your BB skills and court awareness.

Geno for some reason puts a lot of stock in players ranking coming out of high school and he's ultimate authority in WBB. Or so I have been told.

Williams did have that breakout game against Notre Dame, she didn't consistently follow up that effort for the remainder of the season.

I suspect Megan Walker and #22 (formerly #2 at Tenn) were ranked as the top 2 in their class due to their athleticism.

These are all good points and even Breanna Stewart had a rocky freshman season up until the NCAA Tournament, but then she took off! It's a really big jump from high school ball to elite DI basketball! Moreover; the same can be said for the jump from DI basketball to the WNBA and very few players handle that easily. Candace Parker and Breanna Stewart both made the move pretty well, but many others really struggle.

Williams breakout game against ND only reinforces my perspectives on her being an opportunist on the court. Her big games were against ND and the McDonalds AA game. In the McDonalds game there was little defense being played so Williams who was feeing it took advantage. The ND guards consist of Mabrey who is relatively slow and Ogunbowale who plays no defense. Don't get me wrong she is a really good player but I doubt she will turn in to the player that is reflective of those two games.

I always say, you are never as good as your best game, nor as bad as your worst.

By the way both Dangerfield and Westbrook had surgery and will be out for 4 months. Not a good look for their chances this coming season. I suppose that is why Westbrook applied for an injury waiver.

The Lady Vols may not be Final Four material as they were in the past but they are NOT "just another team"..They are, in fact, the ONLY team to have made every NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Championship tournament since the NCAA began sanctioning women's sports in the 1981–82 season....

According to all of the internet women's college basketball coaches, the lady Vols have the talent to be an elite basketball team, but they were held back by coach Holly Warlick.

Which means the Lady Vols basketball team should make it to the Final Four at least this upcoming season.

Williams breakout game against ND only reinforces my perspectives on her being an opportunist on the court. Her big games were against ND and the McDonalds AA game. In the McDonalds game there was little defense being played so Williams who was feeing it took advantage. The ND guards consist of Mabrey who is relatively slow and Ogunbowale who plays no defense. Don't get me wrong she is a really good player but I doubt she will turn in to the player that is reflective of those two games.

I always say, you are never as good as your best game, nor as bad as your worst.

By the way both Dangerfield and Westbrook had surgery and will be out for 4 months. Not a good look for their chances this coming season. I suppose that is why Westbrook applied for an injury waiver.

Westbrook didn't apply for an injury waiver.

According to all of the internet women's college basketball coaches, the lady Vols have the talent to be an elite basketball team, but they were held back by coach Holly Warlick.

Which means the Lady Vols basketball team should make it to the Final Four at least this upcoming season.

And,
Every upcoming season,,,FF should always be a UTLV goal
Always!

Reactions: MAD

( According to to the internet women's college basketball coaches, the lady vols have the talent to be an elite basketball team).. I hate lairs, & i like ppl who speak to truth..All of these coaches were defending Holly as in doing a great job, either they want the program to die or they don't want Holly to pass the lever she was.

Reactions: Only1COJ
s
Geno for some reason puts a lot of stock in players ranking coming out of high school and he's ultimate authority in WBB. Or so I have been told.

Williams did have that breakout game against Notre Dame, she didn't consistently follow up that effort for the remainder of the season.

I suspect Megan Walker and #22 (formerly #2 at Tenn) were ranked as the top 2 in their class due to their athleticism.

Auriemma's recent comments about Walker -
“I think the big thing with Meg is just understanding what can I do and what can’t I do? Where are my strengths and where are my weaknesses," Auriemma said, “and how can I take advantage of my strengths to be as good a player as there is in the country? Because she is that talented. And what are my weaknesses? So she can start to address them. A lot of times when you’re a great player coming out of high school you seem to think you have none because nothing ever got in your way, and the best players — the ones who really grow the most — are the ones who when they get to college they start to look in the mirror and go ‘This is what I’m great at,’ and they also can look in the other mirror and go ‘I’ve got to get better at this.’ And the ones that can honestly do that take off. I think this is the year she’s going to take off.”

As for freshman Williams, she averaged almost 12ppg which would have put her 3rd in scoring on the UT roster.
That while playing behind UConn's two high scoring seniors. As for defense, I don't know many freshmen that get to D1 knowing how to play defense.

VN Store

Back