General Feelings On Game Two

Better performance but right now we have played good enough to lose 3 or 4 games on our schedule. The D is playing ok, but there is more there to be had.

The OL and offense in general is not close to where it needs to be yet. The clock is ticking. 2 weeks to tighten it up.

Reactions: 2 people
That little bubble pass to Kamara is getting old, real fast. And where was Wolf this game? Not sure...perhaps Foster schemed him out of the game. Can't under stand why our play book is so limited, considering Dobbs' mental capacity.
Wolf was having to stay in and block

Dobbs was essentially running for his life for the most part between the Alabama game of 2014 to last night's game. He knows that this offensive line is not SEC-caliber. He knows that his LT is a freshman. Why has he suddenly relapsed to his former self and making juvenile mistakes with the football? How many times does Dobbs throw it away? I believe he only threw the ball away (into the back of the endzone towards Byrd) once last night. He's trying to play like Deshaun Watson, J.T. Barrett, etc. but those guys have the football IQ to just throw the ball away and live to see another down.

We should work passing game next week vs Ohio and throw like 30 times but I'm sure stupid staff calls very vanilla offense again

Feel more like we didn't win, they lost. Good we were able to capitalize on their errors tho

You don't outscore ANYONE 45-10 in 3 quarters and say "They lost, we didn't win." VT made one bad decision (the Jet handoff that resulted in a fumble in the 2nd quarter) and Tennessee snowballed it from there. Offense is about momentum. Defense is about consistency. And our defense has proven through two weeks that after the first quarter we don't give up much. We've outscored opponent 45-10 from the 2nd quarter on.

Reactions: 1 person
You takes Dobbs runs out and we lose, play calling went stagnant during 3rd qtr. Our Oline is bad, our success comes from Dobbs running, Hurd runs into the pile and hopes for Oline push. 0 passing game, yes we won but enough is enough with Butch's offense, it's big east football, not gonna win the Sec with it. Not putting Dobbs down so don't take it that way, without him and we suck really bad. Hate to say it CBJ is Ron Zook 2.0 Great recruiting but it stops right there on signing day and it's obvious. Here's to hoping we can ride Dobbs legs to atleast 8 wins

It can't be a fact, because there's no way to prove it. Try again, hombre.

Last week everyone was preaching the ability of Appalachian State to beat almost any team in the nation, but this week there is no proof to back up these clams.

Bottom line, we have not played well enough to win the East. With Kirk out its just going to be that much harder.

Butch had one of the best O-Line coaches in the country already on staff when he got here in Sam Pittman. However he preferred to bring his buddy Mahoney along instead. Now we're seeing the results of that decision.

You guys watch The Sports Source this morning? They were big on the strength and coach situation as well. I was actually a little surprised at the amount of negativism among those guys. I always expect a little but it was palpable. Except for Sunshine Sterling though. Love that guy. lol

UT can get the rest of the kinks out and problems corrected against lowly Ohio to get ready for Florida

Tennessee rushed 46 times for 239 yards for a 5.2 average and 3 TD. That's not bad! What bothers me is the 10 receptions for 91 yards for a 9.1 average 3 TD and 4 of those completions were to RB. We've got to have a passing game!

Tell the upfront Guys to block and you will see better passing. Our OLine is terrible. I mean real bad

I am happy with the win, HOWEVER im still uneasy about the direction of this season, not every team is gonna turn the ball over like that, thus not resulting in a lot of easy points, and if the offense cant produce like they showed they cant, then we are in trouble.

and defense let them fall forward WAY too much, cant count how many times I saw them make contact at the line of scrimmage and itd end up as a 5 yard gain or so, very frustrating to watch, but overall, defense played a respectable game.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree....we are 2-0. That's the good news!
Unfortunately we are 2-0 because the other team gave the game away. The O- line play is horrible. Don't think that can be fixed. The play calling is baaaaad. Where are the crossing routes or te down the seam? The dew passing attempt that are made are sideways or down the sideline.....use the middle of the field. The run D up the middle is weak. JRM has been a punk so far. Sooooo frustrating.
This team has top 5 talent all over the field. Unfortunately they are hamstrung by crappy o-line coaching and absolutely terrible o play calling. I will give Dobb's a half-way pass on poor decision making based on the terrible line play. But THE game is coming quick. Florida won't give the gifts that appy st and VT gave. I'm not feeling as good about Sept 24th as I did a few weeks ago!

Maybin frustrated me so much last night

We got better and played better. We pursue the ball extremely well whether winning (Tuttle/Micah) or nearly losing (Dobbs/Hurd). O-line and Dobbs inconsistencies are our Achilles heel. If we can continue to get better on offense this will be a really good team.

Reactions: Weezer
Maybe it has something to do with the fact he's running for his life every time he drops back.

I can't believe some of you have the gall to criticize the guy whose running ability makes this offense functional.

No Dobbs and we don't score a point with this o-line.

It's not that simple.

Dormady perhaps could be better at getting into his progression and getting rid of the ball faster.

Dobbs is very average at this. He has tendency to roll out even when there might be a pocket to step into.

The line is still the problem. And I think Debord does them no favors with his predictable play calling.

And something else... I'm not sure Dobbs has their respect truly.
Body language is negative when ive made a point to observe how Dobbs and his line interact. Again, thw line is ultimately the problem... but our coaching isn't exactly helping. As a matter of opinion, in think its the root of it all.

These guys still don't really believe in themselves ... and i think that stems from Butch Jones.

It's not that simple.

Dormady perhaps could be better at getting into his progression and getting rid of the ball faster.

Dobbs is very average at this. He has tendency to roll out even when there might be a pocket to step into.

The line is still the problem. And I think Debord does them no favors with his predictable play calling.

And something else... I'm not sure Dobbs has their respect truly.
Body language is negative when ive made a point to observe how Dobbs and his line interact. Again, thw line is ultimately the problem... but our coaching isn't exactly helping. As a matter of opinion, in think its the root of it all.

These guys still don't really believe in themselves ... and i think that stems from Butch Jones.

A bunch of unknowns there but you make some good points. QD could be a guy with a quicker release and better reads. Then again he could be another Peterman. We havent seen enough of him to know yet.

Here is what is puzzling me the most at the moment. The OL is obviously the weakest link as you said. Now the line may get much better once Jones and Hall get on the field, but until then it seems like it will be underachieving. I would like to think Butch recognizes this. If thats the case, then why cant him and Debord come up with an offensive scheme to counter that? We cant ever run a quick slant? I mean come on. If the coaches do not recognize the problems and cannot scheme to counter these issues then we have a huge problem in Knoxville.

Obviously, I am glad we finish strong. Beats starting fast then crating like in 4 games last year. It seems like a waste to just use Berry for Kickoff returns. I would like to see him tried in the backfield every once in awhile...same with Sutton. They are both very elusive runners.We need to utilize more of our talented players in our offense.:loco:

One thing that has concerned me on defense in the first two games is seeing #24 standing and watching a play, still in progress, rather making a hit or trying to help stop the play. It happened in the App State game and the runner scored. It happens last Saturday in the first quarter when the runner was dragging 3-4 tacklers for a first down and he failed to help stop him. He needs to get a killer attitude.

I remember Dobbs's interception came on a pass where he had plenty of time to throw, and ended up throwing it right into the chest of a VT defender. Last week he threw an up-for-grabs interception while trying to throw across his body.

Great runner, but is making poor decisions in the passing game thus far.
You crybabies act as if no other qbs throw bad passes or interceptions ever. The level of hate by some is incredible.

VN Store

Back