Gator fans smell like **** thread

still overly defensive I see. sorry if reality ain't your flavor of choice.
I wasn’t defending anything...much less a “rival” fanbase. When your “reality” precludes you from ever outwardly supporting what you supposedly support, what’s REAL? The next time you post something liking our team will be the first that I’ve noticed. I’m sure there’s plenty out there but it shouldn’t be easier to find a homer tinged post from Catbone...just sayin.

I wasn’t defending anything...much less a “rival” fanbase. When your “reality” precludes you from ever outwardly supporting what you supposedly support, what’s REAL? The next time you post something liking our team will be the first that I’ve noticed. I’m sure there’s plenty out there but it shouldn’t be easier to find a homer tinged post from Catbone...just sayin.
this is the around the NCAA forum. Won't see me discussing UT pretty much at all here. rarely poke my head over in the FF. If you want to see my posts about our team look at the Off Topic thread in the PF. I am actually one of the sunshiners over there. just not 15-0 sunshine. more the we have made progress from week one and should still be looking at a bowl game sunshine.

this is the around the NCAA forum. Won't see me discussing UT pretty much at all here. rarely poke my head over in the FF. If you want to see my posts about our team look at the Off Topic thread in the PF. I am actually one of the sunshiners over there. just not 15-0 sunshine. more the we have made progress from week one and should still be looking at a bowl game sunshine.
This is you in every forum. LW strays into others and still comes off as a Gators fan...there’s no desalination process. Maybe you overcompensate in an attempt to appear objective.

This is you in every forum. LW strays into others and still comes off as a Gators fan...there’s no desalination process. Maybe you overcompensate in an attempt to appear objective.
so going back to the OP you think our record is going to be markedly better (+2) than FL this season?

Yes. Even more important, our quality of play will be vastly better.
With you on the quality of play. just not sure about the record. I think we will finish within a game of each other. with us having the head to head win.

So losing to Kentucky is grounds for termination regardless of how improved they are, but your coach shouldn’t be terminated if he loses to Kentucky this year.

Yeah. Kind of like messing up at work and the boss saying "That was a big mistake. You do it again and we got to let you go."

I’m glad we ended up with Pruitt but what Mullen accomplished at MSU was pretty impressive with the talent he had. Butch would not have been able to replicate that success with that roster at MSU.
If Butch was at Miss St for as long as Mullen was, there would have been about 5 years where he went 3-9 (0-8). Mullen is 50 times the tactician Butch is.

Mullen didn't have talented teams at Miss St. He did not target highly-touted recruits there because he wouldn't have landed them even if he did. He was better off spending his time recruiting guys he had a better chance of landing. However, it is something to consider given he's now at a big job that expects to win titles and recruit at a very high level. It is still unclear if Mullen can recruit at a high level. The early returns haven't been impressive, and if he is to get Florida where the admin and fans want to go he's going to have to recruit top players.

If you want to win the SEC you have to obtain elite (or at least very good) talent and coach it up. There's no question he's a good talent developer/identifier (especially with lightly-recruited guys overlooked by major programs), and offensive schemer. I don't know if he simply doesn't want to recruit top talent or if he's incapable of recruiting top talent. If it is the latter, that's a huge problem for Florida. And if he can't recruit at Florida, he'd have a much worse time at Tennessee. That was the risk with him, because at his previous job he couldn't recruit at a top level even if he was attempting to. It's unknown. It is the MO of some coaches/programs to focus more on lightly-recruited guys and coach them up. It even works at places like Wisconsin and Michigan St, but those schools employ that strategy because there are extenuating circumstances that Florida doesn't have to deal with. Would such an approach work at Florida? I really don't think so.

If Butch was at Miss St for as long as Mullen was, there would have been about 5 years where he went 3-9 (0-8). Mullen is 50 times the tactician Butch is.

Mullen didn't have talented teams at Miss St. He did not target highly-touted recruits there because he wouldn't have landed them even if he did. He was better off spending his time recruiting guys he had a better chance of landing. However, it is something to consider given he's now at a big job that expects to win titles and recruit at a very high level. It is still unclear if Mullen can recruit at a high level. The early returns haven't been impressive, and if he is to get Florida where the admin and fans want to go he's going to have to recruit top players.

If you want to win the SEC you have to obtain elite (or at least very good) talent and coach it up. There's no question he's a good talent developer/identifier (especially with lightly-recruited guys overlooked by major programs), and offensive schemer. I don't know if he simply doesn't want to recruit top talent or if he's incapable of recruiting top talent. If it is the latter, that's a huge problem for Florida. And if he can't recruit at Florida, he'd have a much worse time at Tennessee. That was the risk with him, because at his previous job he couldn't recruit at a top level even if he was attempting to. It's unknown. It is the MO of some coaches/programs to focus more on lightly-recruited guys and coach them up. It even works at places like Wisconsin and Michigan St, but those schools employ that strategy because there are extenuating circumstances that Florida doesn't have to deal with. Would such an approach work at Florida? I really don't think so.
Mullen will need to recruit better than he currently is to get UF back to where they want to be. Mullen was a great OC when he had Zook's and Meyer's recruits to work with, but couldn't contend with ranked teams without them. Maybe Emory turns out to be his next Dak, but I'm not sure UF gives him enough time to develop him if he keeps losing to teams like Kentucky.

Reactions: butchna
Mullen will need to recruit better than he currently is to get UF back to where they want to be. Mullen was a great OC when he had Zook's and Meyer's recruits to work with, but couldn't contend with ranked teams without them. Maybe Emory turns out to be his next Dak, but I'm not sure UF gives him enough time to develop him if he keeps losing to teams like Kentucky.
Agreed. I know it's just 2 games, but I figured he would have made Franks at least a little bit better with a full spring practice and fall camp. Mullen is great with QBs. You saw what Jimbo has done already with Mond. He looked like the top recruit they thought they were getting. Perhaps Franks was "scarred" by bad coaching as well. That poor kid has looked lost from the moment he stepped on campus.

If I was a Florida fan, I'd worry Mullen is a guy who is more comfortable taking lightly-recruited guys, or guys who are projects (Dak and Fitzgerald were both projects) and coaching them as opposed to taking a really talented kid. Some coaches find these highly recruited guys are more sensitive, temperamental, and just less-coachable than kids who are less heralded and have more of a blue collar ethic about them, and they purposely won't focus on recruiting them. Perhaps that is Mullen's thing.

This is all just deja vu

Tennessee fans begin to make fun of Florida in some way (Mullen or loss to KY) and then Florida ends up beating us in some strange way like a bird hit a JG pass to a wide open receiver in the end zone and FL intercepts and runs it back for a game winning TD....

This is all just deja vu

Tennessee fans begin to make fun of Florida in some way (Mullen or loss to KY) and then Florida ends up beating us in some strange way like a bird hit a JG pass to a wide open receiver in the end zone and FL intercepts and runs it back for a game winning TD....
Maybe if you pray to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny extra sincerely they’ll put the kibosh on that evil juju!

Reactions: nesbuddha66
Agreed. I know it's just 2 games, but I figured he would have made Franks at least a little bit better with a full spring practice and fall camp. Mullen is great with QBs. You saw what Jimbo has done already with Mond. He looked like the top recruit they thought they were getting. Perhaps Franks was "scarred" by bad coaching as well. That poor kid has looked lost from the moment he stepped on campus.

If I was a Florida fan, I'd worry Mullen is a guy who is more comfortable taking lightly-recruited guys, or guys who are projects (Dak and Fitzgerald were both projects) and coaching them as opposed to taking a really talented kid. Some coaches find these highly recruited guys are more sensitive, temperamental, and just less-coachable than kids who are less heralded and have more of a blue collar ethic about them, and they purposely won't focus on recruiting them. Perhaps that is Mullen's thing.
I’m not sure if Clemson had an off day or Mond was playing out of his mind, but he looked great. Goes to show you how a scrambling qb can neutralize a great d-line, or maybe Clemson’s d line is overrated.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
I’m not sure if Clemson had an off day or Mond was playing out of his mind, but he looked great. Goes to show you how a scrambling qb can neutralize a great d-line, or maybe Clemson’s d line is overrated.
I think Mond played extremely well and Clemson's LBs and secondary seemed vulnerable for some reason. Mond seemed to keep hitting a receiver deep over the middle when he needed to. Their secondary didn't seem prepared and got gashed for huge yards multiple times. Look at the longest reception A&M's receivers had...there was a 30, 69, 26, 28, 17, 23, and a 21. Clemson's D-line is as good as they say it is...they still had 4 sacks and 10 TFLs.

Clemson got outplayed for large parts of that game, couldn't really run the ball, but got a call their way late in the game and were able to win. Mark of a great team. They have a great chance to win it all. I think Bryant silenced most of the talk of a QB controversy for the time being too. I don't think they win that game without him moving around in the pocket and scrambling for some yards.

I think Mond played extremely well and Clemson's LBs and secondary seemed vulnerable for some reason. Mond seemed to keep hitting a receiver deep over the middle when he needed to. Their secondary didn't seem prepared and got gashed for huge yards multiple times. Look at the longest reception A&M's receivers had...there was a 30, 69, 26, 28, 17, 23, and a 21. Clemson's D-line is as good as they say it is...they still had 4 sacks and 10 TFLs.

Clemson got outplayed for large parts of that game, couldn't really run the ball, but got a call their way late in the game and were able to win. Mark of a great team. They have a great chance to win it all. I think Bryant silenced most of the talk of a QB controversy for the time being too. I don't think they win that game without him moving around in the pocket and scrambling for some yards.
Forgot about Bryant. He looks a lot better as well. The Clemson fans were upset when he initially started, but I think you’re right about him winning them over. The rest of Clemson’s schedule is fairly soft, so they have little room for error.

This is all just deja vu

Fla will bench Franks and play their backup.

VN Store

Back