Gaston Moore ?

He participated in Senior day activities so my assumption is he doesn’t plan on coming back. He is only a RS junior so my guess is he has graduated and is either going to pursue a coaching career or is just done with football all together.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
He participated in Senior day activities so my assumption is he doesn’t plan on coming back. He is only a RS junior so my guess is he has graduated and is either going to pursue a coaching career or is just done with football all together.

Staff should promise him a GA position in return for one more year

CJH's offense is apparently difficult to grasp. Joe never did get it. Someone new to the system might struggle. That may be the reason Nico sat more than he played.
Yep. Jumping right into the fire is risky if everything doesn't line up...unless pressed. I'm sure there's examples, but trying to remember when a talented frosh who wasn't pressed into playing because of need or they were the obvious best, and were handed the keys in Y2. I guess Heath would be the only semi equivalent.

CJH's offense is apparently difficult to grasp. Joe never did get it. Someone new to the system might struggle. That may be the reason Nico sat more than he played.
I'd heard just the opposite about the Heupel system but that it depends on both qb and wr being able to read the defense and be on the same page. Both require quick decisions which Joe wasn't so great with.

I'd heard just the opposite about the Heupel system but that it depends on both qb and wr being able to read the defense and be on the same page. Both require quick decisions which Joe wasn't so great with.
So the WR was never at fault? Did Josh tell you that or did you figure it out on your own

Wasn't he a PWO anyways? I am sure he was getting some financial help but he was probably having some out of pocket expenses so by being a GA at least he would have some income.

Reactions: VFLBerg
So the WR was never at fault? Did Josh tell you that or did you figure it out on your own
Not what I said. Success depends on both in Heupel's system. McCoy was settled and a comfort blanket for Joe. Thornton never got comfortable in the slot, but he did show signs of getting it when moved outside. Once we went to the freshmen, that left White and that combined with Joe's limitations in the middle of the field hurt badly. Even when we had McCoy and Thornton, the staff didn't feel comfortable with Milton in the middle of the field. Their play calling demonstrated as much. Only against a far inferior opponent like Vandy did the staff let him go there a bit more. Bottom line is that it takes both, but even with experienced WRs(which he didn't have most of the year), this staff didn't trust him. That's on Joe.

Is he coming back ? I've been impressed with him what little I've seen. If Nico went down would he be #2 next year?
There is an interesting read on the Tony Basilio site today regarding Gaston Moore. Apparently, they are trying to get NIL $$ set aside to keep Moore on the roster.

All we've seen of Gaston Moore is some meaningless snaps against 2-3 string defenses. We don't know how he could or if he could handle the load against some good defenses.

Reactions: livefaith
Merklinger will be in the mix.
Yeah. I think the hard pill to swallow is we’re going to be thin and inexperienced at the position for a while. But the talent is getting a lot better you’ll have Nico then Merk then Mac coming in 25. You’re going to see a very talented and loaded QB room in a couple of years. Hard to get portal help though with Nico here and being the obvious starter.

Not what I said. Success depends on both in Heupel's system. McCoy was settled and a comfort blanket for Joe. Thornton never got comfortable in the slot, but he did show signs of getting it when moved outside. Once we went to the freshmen, that left White and that combined with Joe's limitations in the middle of the field hurt badly. Even when we had McCoy and Thornton, the staff didn't feel comfortable with Milton in the middle of the field. Their play calling demonstrated as much. Only against a far inferior opponent like Vandy did the staff let him go there a bit more. Bottom line is that it takes both, but even with experienced WRs(which he didn't have most of the year), this staff didn't trust him. That's on Joe.
Good point. The Bama game last year showed teams what happens when you cheat a safety up or to one side. Most teams kept both safeties back this year taking the middle away. Our running game benefited from it. Hard to fault Joe when theirs really nothing there in the middle. He got picked 3 times this year trying to force the ball to the middle. We didn’t have the separation this year from our WR’s to present much of a deep threat hence a lot of bubble screens. I personally think our WR’s was more of a problem than Joe.

Good point. The Bama game last year showed teams what happens when you cheat a safety up or to one side. Most teams kept both safeties back this year taking the middle away. Our running game benefited from it. Hard to fault Joe when theirs really nothing there in the middle. He got picked 3 times this year trying to force the ball to the middle. We didn’t have the separation this year from our WR’s to present much of a deep threat hence a lot of bubble screens. I personally think our WR’s was more of a problem than Joe.

I agree the WR's were more of a problem than Joe but that doesn't fit the narrative of "play Nico". And why do all of these threads progress to blaming Milton?? It is getting old.

Yeah. I think the hard pill to swallow is we’re going to be thin and inexperienced at the position for a while. But the talent is getting a lot better you’ll have Nico then Merk then Mac coming in 25. You’re going to see a very talented and loaded QB room in a couple of years. Hard to get portal help though with Nico here and being the obvious starter.

We shall see. I am pretty optimistic about QB play moving forward. Obviously, this has no bearing on next season but UT has had young talented QBs step up and compete right away in years past. Hopefully, Nico comes in and plays well from the beginning. The DB position is a bigger worry for me.

We saw him in the O&W spring game and he managed the offense quite well.,
O&W game Defense vs Bama or UGa defense. There's a big difference there guy. I'd just don't know if he's capable of handling that load. Maybe he can. Well probably never know.

VN Store

Back