Gary Patterson

orangelo

Just wondering a couple of things about Patterson

Didn’t he have interest in us in the past?
Would he still be considered a good hire by the fans?
Money wouldn’t be an issue here he is only under contract till 2022 and makes 4.7million a year. So the buyout would be relatively manageable.

I personally could get behind the hire. But didn’t know the rest of Vol Nations thoughts

Yes...he wanted the job and we spurned him. Twice I think.

I would consider him a good hire. Always liked him. He's slipped the last couple of years, but sometimes all that is needed is a change of scenery.

There was a day where he would have been perfect. That time has passed IMO. He should not get a call from us.

Reactions: Border Vol
Tennessee wouldn’t be hiring it’s 4th coach (since) now......or be the dumpster fire it is if they had hired him instead of Kiffin.

He wanted the job......it was reported “Tennessee” thought the job was too big for him.......he just went 12-1, 13-0, 11-2 the next 3 seasons after not getting the Tennessee job.

He might be on the down swing now......but that hire could have changed Tennessee’s fortunes for sure.

Just wondering a couple of things about Patterson

Didn’t he have interest in us in the past?
Would he still be considered a good hire by the fans?
Money wouldn’t be an issue here he is only under contract till 2022 and makes 4.7million a year. So the buyout would be relatively manageable.

I personally could get behind the hire. But didn’t know the rest of Vol Nations thoughts

Yes, he was very interested and would have taken the job in 2008. Mike Hamilton wanted to "win the press conference" and hire Kiffin. Kiffin was willing to make his salary under $2MM if Hammy nuked the buyout provision. Mike Hamilton thought Patterson's assistants/coordinators weren't up to snuff (including Justin Fuente). We passed on Brian Kelly and Patterson to hire Lane Kiffin with a nuked buyout. You can't make up how stupid that sounded then and how stupid it sounds now.

The time has passed. We were too cheap 12 years ago.

He said he went to meet with Hamilton and Hamilton basically came off like an ass and he was done. Hamilton had his mind made up on Kiffin already at that point. Or had his mind made up for him more likely.

Yeah, Hamilton essentially insulted the co-coordinator system, his personality ("too much of a football coach"), the caliber of his assistants, and his aptitude to coach in the SEC.

Dealing with Hamilton was so bad in 2008 that when we reached out in 2010 after Kiffin left, Patterson was so put off by Hamilton that he wouldn't even use it as leverage to secure more $$$ from TCU.

Patterson was interested in the job when Hammy hired Kiffin, but his daddy couldn't coach football...

Tennessee wouldn’t be hiring it’s 4th coach (since) now......or be the dumpster fire it is if they had hired him instead of Kiffin.

He wanted the job......it was reported “Tennessee” thought the job was too big for him.......he just went 12-1, 13-0, 11-2 the next 3 seasons after not getting the Tennessee job.

He might be on the down swing now......but that hire could have changed Tennessee’s fortunes for sure.

Patterson taking over the 10th ranked scoring defense, with Eric Berry on board; and Tajh Boyd already committed, (before Kiffen telling him he'd never play here)...
I tear up every time I think about it. Then I have to go to confession for the, uh, uncharitable thoughts I have about Mike Hamilton.

Reactions: JoAllan and BigDave

VN Store

Back