Gary Patterson Would’ve Set Us Back

Gary Patterson in 2009 would have been a much better higher than the parade of coaches we hired. We would have had 8-9 win years with at least a couple of 10 win years. At some point it would have run its course, but he would have stabilized us for 10-11 years versus what we got.

I believe everything has been addressed by other posters. OP this was a poor take. Really no possible way Gary Patterson or Brian Kelly who either one we could have had. Hamilton had his mind made up for Kiffin and everyone knew it. Patterson vlearly wouldn't have had same record at Tennessee as he had at TCU. But thats not indicivite of his ability to coach. Its more that since Fulmers final years to now the league has evolved from a great conference to absolutely elite. So Patterson may have had a few more losses just based off SEC schedules are tougher than Big12. However at Tennessee we would not hit embarrassing lows like we have so often from Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt.

The main point is that our administration finally got it right in thinking in a progressive manner and hiring a coach in Coach Heupel, someone who is more in line with today's culture and how to lead in the game today (and lead in general). The previous mentality was to try to hire people like Gary Patterson, Brian Kelly, or Coach Pruitt. Those are all coaches with outdated philosophies and outdated leadership. In watching our season play out under Coach Heupel, the kids have been inspired, play hard, and play with purpose. This is how you build a culture.

Gary would've been phenomenal at UT. Hand him Eric Berry... At the time Gary's defense was one of the most aggressive in the country. And no way he runs off Tajh Boyd (as Kiffen did).

Had we hired Patterson, there'd have been no coaching from atop a stool, no turnover trashcan, no whiteboard kicked down on national television. To think of what we would have missed out on . . .

Gary Patterson certainly wouldn’t have bolted after a year. Neither Derek Dooley nor Butch Jones would have sniffed the Tennessee job. Most likely we would have replaced Patterson between 2016-2018 but with a much more stable program and track record. We could only imagine the caliber of coach we would have had the ability to target to succeed him.

I am absolutely THROUGH with the „what if“ coaching speculation. It is Thanksgiving and I am very thankful to have Coach Heupel standing on that sideline each week. Thinking about other scenarios just gets my blood pressure up. Enjoy the ride and let’s SMASH Vandy Saturday
Go Vols

Reactions: Volfan1000
We finally have a very strong administration in Boyd, Plowman and White that can keep solid coaches at UT in all sports.

Gary Patterson built TCU football through methods now unwelcome in sports | Opinion

The way football is played has changed, the way we lead people has changed, society has changed....I think we have finally embraced all of this and we are finally on the right side of things.

It took us a while to change our offense to a more modern style of play, and it took us several coaching changes to finally get someone who is suitable for today's game in how it is played and coached.

We almost got Gary Patterson to coach here which would have set us back another decade...let's be thankful we landed Coach Heupel and his coaching style which is well suited for today's game and will be great for getting tramsfers into the program

Think what you will. But rather than having had Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt? I would have taken Patterson, and had he stepped away for Heupel? The last 12 years might have been much more rewarding.

you can’t say this, OP…apples and oranges. Plus, when Patterson had the transcendent QB in Boykin they lit up the scoreboard. We had one of those once….

I live in DFW. The truth is that big boy football in a big boy conference caught up to little TCU…which is an equivalent to Vandy in the SEC

VN Store

Back