Gary Patterson Would’ve Set Us Back

GBOplayer

Gary Patterson built TCU football through methods now unwelcome in sports | Opinion

The way football is played has changed, the way we lead people has changed, society has changed....I think we have finally embraced all of this and we are finally on the right side of things.

It took us a while to change our offense to a more modern style of play, and it took us several coaching changes to finally get someone who is suitable for today's game in how it is played and coached.

We almost got Gary Patterson to coach here which would have set us back another decade...let's be thankful we landed Coach Heupel and his coaching style which is well suited for today's game and will be great for getting tramsfers into the program

Tennessee finally has a good coach…….so far so good, I agree.

Football has changed, again I agree.

What does not hiring Patterson like 12 years ago have to do with anything?……….seriously anything at all?

Who knows what “would” have happened because it never did; however I firmly believe Patterson could have stabilized this program starting in 09, and grown the program.

Sure Tennessee would have needed a new coach by now (theoretically because again it never happened)…….however if he did come and do at least decent, the program would have been in much better shape by the time a new coach was needed………rather than it has been via the many coaches Tennessee hired after Fulmer.

Nevertheless and again what does Patterson have to do with “anything?”

Tennessee now has a coach after years and years of complete nonsense.

Patterson was a great coach who built a good program, and now his time has passed……..however his time wasn’t passed in 2009.

Gary Patterson built TCU football through methods now unwelcome in sports | Opinion

The way football is played has changed, the way we lead people has changed, society has changed....I think we have finally embraced all of this and we are finally on the right side of things.

It took us a while to change our offense to a more modern style of play, and it took us several coaching changes to finally get someone who is suitable for today's game in how it is played and coached.

We almost got Gary Patterson to coach here which would have set us back another decade...let's be thankful we landed Coach Heupel and his coaching style which is well suited for today's game and will be great for getting tramsfers into the program

set Tennessee back………are you serious?

You mean worse than 5 coaches in 12 years?

Worse than 7 losing seasons over those 12 years?

Worse than a 4 win season and then a 3 win season just a few years later?

Worse than winning just 18 conference games over the course of 8 years?

Worse than all coaches gone, player mass exodus and NCAA investigation into paying players………after winning just 3 games?

Again are you serious…….”Patterson” would have set Tennessee back?……..have you been living under a rock for the past 12 years or so?

B215A92D-DA70-4E90-9E3B-566DF01512FC.jpeg

From 2009 to 2017 Patterson (9 seasons) had 6 11 win or better seasons (3 11 win, 2 12 win and 1 13-0), went to a bowl ever season but once and went 13-0.

Who knows what would have happened.

However to suggest that Patterson would have set Tennessee back……..over all the crap Tennessee has been through and how much Tennessee “has” been set back over the past many years is probably the most “silly” comment I have seen on here in a long time.

Hey everybody we finally got a coach………see it was a good thing we didn’t hire Patterson way back then……….things could have gotten bad………be grateful for all those in charge……..they knew what they were doing…….just had to find the right one.

Lol...no.

In no universe does hiring Gary Patterson in 2008 instead of Lane Kiffin end in a worse scenario than what we saw with Kiffin/Dooley/Butch/Pruitt, and Fulmer as AD.

Stop smoking meth.

So by your logic Kiffin, Doofus, Botch and Cornbread were better hires than Patterson?

We have Heupel. He’s done a really good job right out of the gate. The future looks promising and the program seems to be in good hands. Why rehash something that didn’t happen anyway or rehash the cast of characters that actually did set this program back? I don’t wanna live in yesterday.

Yeah, no. This program would've been in much better shape had we hired Patterson like we should have in 2010 instead of Dooley. My gosh.

I have no idea how Patterson would have done at UT. He had it made at TCU in Fort Worth where he ran the show and no one questioned him; he would've hated the media circus pressure cooker of a big SEC school. He is incredibly thin-skinned and defensive in his interactions with the media. While I think the game has passed him by, no one outside of Saban could coach defense like he could there for awhile.

Not hiring Patterson is what set the Vols back a decade.

Since we are playing theoretical, I would hypothesize that he would have been a much more stable and successful coach than any of jokes the Vols hired from 2009 to 2018.

His record over that time backs it up.

Some of y'all keep thinking they need to hire the next Saban which doesn't really exist anymore outside Saban and a few others.

Very few of these coaches are built for long term 20 year runs anymore at one place. They either burn out or their message grows stale. Or they succeed and move on.

Hiring Gary Patterson or even Kevin Sumlin would have been far better moves than any Hamilton, Hart, or Fulmer made. Both were on the cusp of great runs and would have brought stability and far greater success than Dooley, Jones, or Pruitt. In fairness, either would have run their course by now, but one coaching search for a solid program beats four for a trainwreck.

I am guessing the OP thinks we were looking to hire GP in this last cycle. No, we would have hired him instead of Kiffin. Fact is any hire would have been better than a coach leaving 2 weeks before signing day.

But reality is the bigger mistake was hiring Dooley. Should have promoted Chaney or another staffer to interim for a season and then have a true coaching search the following fall.

But we had idiots running the AD back then. Things look much better today.

Reactions: General Jack

No, hiring Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt set us back over a decade. Hiring Patterson would have steadied the ship and kept Tennessee at a normal Tennessee level until now, when we’d be looking to replace him.

We don't know if Gary Patterson would have set us back. There are too many variables in play. The level of support by a college's administration, conference dynamics, culture fit, local politics, in-state and out-state recruiting grounds, recruiting competition, coach-player relationships, and so much more. Chocolate looks and smells good, but you don't know if it is sweet or bitter until taste it. Therefore, Gary might have been a homerun or a bunt. We don't know because he never coached here.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.

I'm not sure how anyone can really make this claim after watching what has played out since 2008. Could we really have gone backwards? We've seen seasons with zero conf wins in a season and 3 total wins. We've seen record losses and some of the worst football ever played in Knoxville

Gary Patterson would have been an outstanding coach here in any of our openings. He can take less talent and get into the Top 10 at a school like TCU. His leadership style is on par with college head coaches and their Type A personality traits. They are all wired differently, some hide it better than others. Fulmer wasn't the coach everyone was led to believe during his time here, he was just presented as the good ole boy who loved his players and Tennessee. Which is true, but he had no problem doing the marine style break you down and build you up either. If you stayed down, he had no problem keeping you down too. From the looks of the article, GP did his job and then some at TCU and those that are in ties with titles were worried his personality the same one that got them on the football map was going to cause the downfall. Gary Patterson to me is TCU football.

Stupid post. He would have been great in 2009. What exactly did Kiffin, Dooley, Butch and Pruitt do ? We finally did something right with Heupel though, he’ll dig us out of the whole those idiots put us in

Reactions: sonofUT62
Excitement, expectations, confidence, and good feelings about watching the Vols has returned. We now have much more than a good group of coaches! We have a good football team to watch, support, and feel good about. I haven't felt this since a young new coach came on the scene in the early sixties! If you were around then, you know what I am talking about!

Hard to set us back farther than we are.

Reactions: VFLBerg
Gary Patterson was the far better choice than Kiffin.

He was a good coach that actually wanted to be here without all the stupid drama.

To think he would have set us back is a ridiculous claim.

Completely ridiculous statement when compared to the 2008 L Kiffin we hired. That was the horrible hire that set us back by a decade.
While I am happy with our current coach there is no doubt that hiring Patterson in 2008 would have resulted in many more wins since then than we have had with Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and Pruitt.
Get serious!

If it weren’t for Fulmer we’d have had Leach.Not a Gators fan at all but they’d do well by going back to Miss State for the next coach…the talent he could get would be dangerous.

VN Store

Back