Gary Danielson

Radio here is about 10 seconds ahead of Dish. I tried but it's always been that way. After Danielson showcased our guy, 21, flopping, I was ready to turn Bob K on!
We complained all last year about flopping, so I had no problem with it being called out. Hell, I thought it was funny….of course we didn’t do that 20+ times like Ole Miss.

I don't care for the guy at all but if that is what is on the channel he can at least sound interested in the game and the teams....Oh Tennessee scored again and is up by two scores but Florida will come back just wait. I was beginning to think he has dementia.

How about Verne Lundquist and his "hob nail boot" crap. Verne is revered cuz he's old. His play by play consisted of "oh boy." No description of the play...just "oh boy." I don't hate Verne but towards the end it was pretty bad.
He didn’t know where he was half the time

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Kesling is awful. I'd rather listen to Helen Keller try and call the game than his bumbling mess. Can't wait for him to go
What if the curse on the Vols was two-fold? Things haven’t been right since Kessling replaced Ward and the V-O-L-S were taken down. Well, we put the letters back up. Now we just need to get rid of Buckeye Bob to break the curse.

Tennessee gave any commentator plenty of mistakes to point out.
How do they keep missing that? We've had whole host of bad games on national television in the past years. And it was always against our rivals, who've at different times been better to much better than we have. All these whiney assed people are quite off-putting. Volnation is still great, but we do have some real duckbilled platypuses around here.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
How do they keep missing that? We've had whole host of bad games on national television in the past years. And it was always against our rivals, who've at different times been better to much better than we have. All these whiney assed people are quite off-putting. Volnation is still great, but we do have some real duckbilled platypuses around here.
Gary knows more about the schematics of football than 98% of the people on hear that’s probably never seen a down of football in their own shoes.

Reactions: GoVolunteers
Just an absolute color commentator and Brad Nessler will put you to sleep. ESPN and Fox have the best announcers in my opinion. CBS should be ashamed of these two. Be glad when SEC leaves them.

Honestly, I think Danielson and others use the broadcasting booth to send messages to the opposing coaches.
Every single game Danielson calls, he points things out that coaches need to look for in upcoming plays.
Constantly pointing out open recivers and backs, saying the other coaches need to watch for that when they run the same play next time.
He's done it at least twice in the game so far, pointing out that UF booth needs to watch for the RB to be open on a wheel route.
Not ONCE has he said the same thing about a UT play.

Not just this game, I've noticed him doing it numerous times over the years.
I hate when UT plays on CBS, means that Danielson is calling the game.

Makes me wonder if maybe somewhere in the past a Vol slept with his girlfriend or some such. :p:p

Well he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I doubt he’s ever had an insight that wasn’t obvious to even a rookie peewee coach. Listening him calling the game is like listening to a blind man describing the sunset.

I thought the highlight of his stupidity was when Florida jumped offside and our center hiked the ball over Hooker’s head. He kept saying how lucky UT was that there was a penalty or we would have lost yards, instead of saying what a good play our center made. Not only dumb announcing, but showed bias too. All in all he seemed discombobulated all day.

I enjoyed listening to Kesling today. I thought he called a good game. I do miss Tim Priest, he was sometimes hilarious, and his replacement is a bit slower, both in his way of speaking and his thought processes. But Kesling was good today.

I never listen to the TV when we're on CBS any more. Have learned to put the radio on, sync them up, and enjoy the game that way.
I agree with you. I’ve softened on Kessling over the years. I have YouTube TV. Our local radio station carries the games so I go to their website and stream that. I’ve found the timing is almost in sync. May need to adjust some as the game goes on

Did he once say anything really nice about TN? He left no doubt in our minds that he was a FL cheerleader. And I thought there were to be no biases in reporting. I tried to give him a chance but he went back to his wicked ways.

Quit picking on Beth. I catch a few PAC12 games late on Saturday night. She seems do her homework & is quite knowledgeable about the game she is calling. Can’t say that about all SEC announcers.
She was sort of lost on that UT KY game last year, and even when she does her homework, there is just this one little thing about her voice:
4l8kik.gif

What if the curse on the Vols was two-fold? Things haven’t been right since Kessling replaced Ward and the V-O-L-S were taken down. Well, we put the letters back up. Now we just need to get rid of Buckeye Bob to break the curse.
Underrated post.

Kesling sucks.

How about Verne Lundquist and his "hob nail boot" crap. Verne is revered cuz he's old. His play by play consisted of "oh boy." No description of the play...just "oh boy." I don't hate Verne but towards the end it was pretty bad.
I thought Larry Munson was the announcer associated with hobnail boot. When did Verne get associated with this?

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I thought Larry Munson was the announcer associated with hobnail boot. When did Verne get associated with this?
From the context, I think djohnnyg was actually referring to the Dobb-nail boot call, the 2016 game. And Verne's "oh boy" commentary (I think he actually said, "my goodness" after a long pause without anything at all being said, listen for yourself and see).

[play starts at 11:56 mark, "my goodness" is heard at 12:34]

EDIT for a p.s.: You know, listening very closely to Verne and Gary for the first time, I think Verne was actually in tears, and speechless during all of the aftermath of that play. He knew it was his last season, so emotions could be running high. And I don't think it was him who said "my goodness," at all. I think that was Gary Danielson trying to help cover for him while he regained his composure.

Verne shouts, "It's caught! It is caught! Jauan Jennings! Jauan Jennings!!!" and then the mic goes quiet and you just hear crowd noise (well, and the music over-dub in this version). And it's silent from the booth for a long time. Then Danielson pops in after about 10 seconds, saying, "another hobb-nail boot..." then more silence. Then it sounds like Danielson again after another 5 seconds, with "my goodness." Then more silence, then Verne comes back in, his voice literally cracking with emotion as he says, "You know, I'm gonna miss doing the SEC."

I think the huge drama of it got to him. I think we've sold him short all these last several years, thinking he had a milquetoast response. Just the opposite, it seems to me. Good on you, Verne.

Last edited:
From the context, I think djohnnyg was actually referring to the Dobb-nail boot call, the 2016 game. And Verne's "oh boy" commentary (I think he actually said, "my goodness" after a long pause without anything at all being said, listen for yourself and see).

EDIT for a p.s.: You know, listening very closely to Verne and Gary for the first time, I think Verne was actually in tears, and speechless during all of the aftermath of that play. He knew it was his last season, so emotions could be running high. And I don't think it was him who said "my goodness," at all. I think that was Gary Danielson trying to help cover for him while he regained his composure.

Verne shouts, "It's caught! It is caught! Jauan Jennings! Jauan Jennings!!!" and then the mic goes quiet and you just hear crowd noise (well, and the music over-dub in this version). And it's silent from the booth for a long time. Then Danielson pops in after about 10 seconds, saying, "another hobb-nail boot..." then more silence. Then it sounds like Danielson again after another 5 seconds, with "my goodness." Then more silence, then Verne comes back in, his voice literally cracking with emotion as he says, "You know, I'm gonna miss doing the SEC."

I think the huge drama of it got to him. I think we've sold him short all these last several years, thinking he had a milquetoast response. Just the opposite, it seems to me. Good on you, Verne.

Just said Alvin Kamara is one of his favorite players.

Reactions: ohhbother

Just said Alvin Kamara is one of his favorite players.

VN Store

Back