GAMEDAY CENTRAL: #8 UT vs. S.Carolina

I believe I saw a dose or two tonight on the floor. I'd be surprised if Pat's problem wasn't on their mind frequently, but something else is amiss here. No idea what.

This. This group, for whatever reason, doesn't play well together. There's no team chemistry with this group. There's also no leadership, and it shows on the floor.

This team is afraid to shoot the 3 ball...Yes, they hit one of eight, but SC shot 22 times and hit 7.....All this get the ball inside to the bigs is killing em.....The outside shooters are too tight in fear of missing.

They lost this game on defense. They didn't bring any. Low energy for whatever reason. If they had played defense like they can, this game would have been a walk. You don't let someone hit 7 three point shots without letting them know you're in their face from time to time.

They lost this game on defense. They didn't bring any. Low energy for whatever reason. If they had played defense like they can, this game would have been a walk. You don't let someone hit 7 three point shots without letting them know you're in their face from time to time.

I totally agree...Give her a hard foul for a change.....Refs call touch fouls, make it count.

But keep shooting 3's...just 2 more in would have won the game.

Saw this morning that Kaela Davis has reopened her recruiting...Things are not looking good!

If she don't want to come to the most historic program in womens bball because of one season then screw her. She may not play for pat summit but this program and what pat has built is bigger than pat and will strive on because of what she established here...

If she don't want to come to the most historic program in womens bball because of one season then screw her. She may not play for pat summit but this program and what pat has built is bigger than pat and will strive on because of what she established here...

We have not shown the will or taken any concrete action to continue to the post Pat era. As I said after the ND debacle, "Vol fans would like the world to stand still and let Pat's coaching tenure end gracefully and on our perception of her terms. Unfortunately, today's high school jrs and seniors will not come to UT based on our rich past. They, and their parents, must, and will, look at their individual futures. They can't live in our tradition or on Pat's legacy. If Pat was her true self, she would emphatically tell you the same thing."

Any observer of basketball can see this group has no chemistry/identity and,compared to LV championship teams,it has no talent. Until the high school kids are convinced UT has a real plan to the future, the truly elite players we need will pass on UT.

Reactions: 1 person
These aren't high school kids. These are young women.

As tragic as CPS's situation is, the players have to create their own leadership and momentum. It can't all come from above (the coaches.) It also has to come from the players' hearts.

This is such a sad situation, but it's time for the Lady Vols to take control of their own fates and start playing up. No one else can do it for them, and when they look back 10 or 20 years from now, they're not going to be satisfied with the thought that the coaching staff was adrift.

So terribly sad, so heartbreaking for everyone involved.

Reactions: 1 person
These aren't high school kids. These are young women.

As tragic as CPS's situation is, the players have to create their own leadership and momentum. It can't all come from above (the coaches.) It also has to come from the players' hearts.

This is such a sad situation, but it's time for the Lady Vols to take control of their own fates and start playing up. No one else can do it for them, and when they look back 10 or 20 years from now, they're not going to be satisfied with the thought that the coaching staff was adrift.

So terribly sad, so heartbreaking for everyone involved.

Nice post. A number of people are blaming the coaches at this point. Coaching by committee, it seems. I don't think that is the problem. We have some very good coaches in place. Pat is still running the practice regardless of what some might say. The coaching and game plans are solid and in place. We have some players who are not giving it their all and are not following the directions that are being laid out for them during the game. I have no idea why this is happening. That, I will lay on the coaches. If someone is not following the game plan and not laying it all out there, they need to sit on the bench until they figure it out. We seem to have two players who are giving the 100% and trying to cover for some who aren't. During the games, when they slide to help cover the ones not putting out, they are getting beat on the inside. Listening to the interviews after the SC game was unsettling. There seems to be a problem within the team that no one has found a fix for.

Nice post. A number of people are blaming the coaches at this point. Coaching by committee, it seems. I don't think that is the problem. We seem to have two players who are giving the 100% and trying to cover for some who aren't. During the games, when they slide to help cover the ones not putting out, they are getting beat on the inside. Listening to the interviews after the SC game was unsettling. There seems to be a problem within the team that no one has found a fix for.

The coaching is the problem.....The outside shooters have been chastised so much about the 3 ball, they are too tight to take the shot....Stricks ball has no arch, comes in flat....She needs encouragement from the coach to shoot the 3 when open...not fear of what might happen if she misses...The usual pained look on her face (when has she last smiled) is pure tension.

Simmons sometimes takes ill advised shots, but she hits enough to make up for it....She should be shooting the 3 ball... Instead she is taken out and sits on the bench and shakes her head.....She should have been in the game, like Burdick, who is another shooter that should have been putting up jumpers...Our shooters were watching the game like us...This comes from coaching decisions...Not sure who, but it is wrong.

I once heard Pat in in interview say she prefers the inside game and leaves the guard play to DeMoss...This inside game has no dominant post player and is ineffective against a team with one...The inside game, or lack of one, has directly led to everyone of the losses, yet this is what is stressed as the game plan....

If the guards would play as guards and take open shots, instead of working to get the ball inside most the time, where it is often a missed lay up or a turnover, this team would not be so easy to defend.

On defense, put a player on their hot shooter and stick very close to her....Keep a hand in her face, deny the ball...Wear her down with pressure defense...If necessary, stick her hard with a (legal) foul from time to time...Don't let her go laughing down your home court after another uncontested 3 ball....Where is the coaching on this???

Last edited:
I don't see the hilarity in the loss. Maybe I missed the punch line.

They are so bad it's funny. Freaking pathetic. Starting to act like our football team when it declined. 40 straight sec wins, now 2 losses already this season. Unacceptable to me.

VN Store

Back