Game Thread-Tennessee Lady Vols (12-7, 5-2 SEC) @ Georgia Lady Bulldogs (10-10, 1-6 SEC) 2-1-2024, 7:00 PM (EST)

Lets talk about what matters.. Jewel Spear is now averaging 13.4 ppg putting her in the Top 20 in SEC scoring for the entire season.

In SEC play, she is averaging 16.8 ppg which would make Spear the 8th leading scorer in the SEC.

Rickea Jackson is averaging 18.8 ppg on the season and is currently the 2nd leading scorer in the SEC despite missing 8 games.

Tennessee best basketball still has not been played yet.

A lot of opposing coaches and teams know this as well. Nobody will prefer to face this team in February and through the SEC/NCAA tourney.

I would pick the team that scores 95 points on the road yesterday to have a chance to beat any team in the SEC.

It’s two sides to this story. People have discredited the win because it’s Georgia.

That doesn’t matter. Tennessee has two elite basketball players in Rickea and Jewel.. a formidable defender in 6’6 TK that has recovered from missing an entire season, two athletic perimeter defenders in Jasmine Powell and Kaiya Wynn, and depth with shooters Karo, Sara, and Tess in the rotation. Jillian will have a breakthrough moment. It always happens in sports. People talk about players and how bad they look when struggling, and the moment they start playing better and regain confidence it becomes a distant memory.
Tennessee should and will beat LSU.
We can talk all day long and look at HS rankings (that others have told me are irrelevant in the case of Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd) who are sitting out but on the court I’m not taking Flaujae over Jewel Spear and neither did team USA.

The freshman is still a freshman. TK versus Reese is going to be a major factor. Rickea versus Morrow is a mismatch in Rickea’s favor. Morrow is too small particularly height wise closer to 5’10 than 6’0.

If this matchup is Williams vs Rickea it’s an even bigger mismatch in Rickea’s favor.

The PG battle is even.. Powell just can’t get in foul trouble or play one on one basketball.
Powell was all conference at Minnesota. People talk “elite” and say what the LVs don’t have in certain players. That’s their opinion. Night in and night out Powell is making explosive plays that if you change the name on the back of the jersey this is what major sport channels are showing as top highlight plays from other players with “hype” behind their name.

Against SC, still Tennessee has the best two players on the court. Tennessee right now just needs to focus on Tennessee.

Last point, Vandy or Alabama isn’t beating Tennessee with Tamari Key starting at center the roster depth and balance is a strength in the SEC. For one thing, I think the LVs will have more fan support at the game at Vandy than the home team.

Karo plays well off the bench. Her and Jillian give the team a better combination of post depth than it was with TK and Jill playing together off the bench. With the emergence of Kaiya Wynn that’s three solid players coming off the bench and puts TK as a rim protector and offensive weapon in the post with Spear and Rickea.

Question: How many times has any team scored 95 points or more in an SEC game this season on the road?
Gamecocks:
98-36 vs UK
97-65 at TAMU

Barbies:
99-68 vs Mizzou

Each have at least one other where they got into 90’s.

In the aftermath of the Ole Miss loss, it would be vital for us to win the next four before the SC game. One down, three to go.

We all know Georgia is horrid, but that was a dominant victory on the road. Can’t take those for granted regardless of the opponent. Next up is a home game against a bad Mizzou team that we should be able to win by double figures. Would be a horrible loss, but I think we take care of business and win that one comfortably.

Now, how does beating the snot out of a bad Georgia team translate to going on the road against a Bama next week? Time will tell. My gut tells me if the ladies play as well against Bama as they did tonight against Georgia, they’ll be hard for Bama to handle.

These next three are big. As long as you win the next three, you’re playing with house money against SC. Lose any of those three, and we will have put ourselves behind the eight ball.
I agree with your analysis, however, what players KJH put on the floor together really matters. She can not afford to have Powell, Spear, Jackson, or Key on the bench at long periods of time. Missouri is a team who can get hot shooting the three and sometimes we have trouble defending the three. We need a lineup that best defends the three.

I think that KJH should avoid a lineup of Tess Darby, Pucket and Striplin on the floor together at the same time, especially against a three shooting team or a quick, or fast team. All three will play their hearts out but they just do not have the speed or quickness to keep up with quick and/fast players.

Last night I noticed our players seemed much more active on defense, which everyone who has ever played intense defense knows takes a LOT of energy and stamina. Trying to stay low for long periods of time makes the legs feel heavy and wobbly pretty quickly (some days more quickly than others), and so I'm guessing Harper told them to go hard for as long as they can and then she'd give them a breather/recharge period.

This is not a bad way to go, but I think going forward the breather breaks need to be shorter, and that starting five needs to try to break through the pain and start gadually -- though not TOO gradually! -- increasing the length of time they can stay on the court and remain effective.

It's a double-edged sword thing. Yes, it's great that all but Edie is getting substantial minutes every game with all the constant subbing, but it can also bite you in the butt when your top five can't go 40 if they ever need to.

I think our players' brains, because of the substitution pattern Kellie has always used, are now wired to tell their legs and lungs they need a break WAY sooner than they should be. It's like battery memory. If you never let a battery run down before recharging it, eventually it won't hold a charge for very long at all.

Last night I noticed our players seemed much more active on defense, which everyone who has ever played intense defense knows takes a LOT of energy and stamina. Trying to stay low for long periods of time makes the legs feel heavy and wobbly pretty quickly (some days more quickly than others), and so I'm guessing Harper told them to go hard for as long as they can and then she'd give them a breather/recharge period.

This is not a bad way to go, but I think going forward the breather breaks need to be shorter, and that starting five needs to try to break through the pain and start gadually -- though not TOO gradually! -- increasing the length of time they can stay on the court and remain effective.

It's a double-edged sword thing. Yes, it's great that all but Edie is getting substantial minutes every game with all the constant subbing, but it can also bite you in the butt when your top five can't go 40 if they ever need to.

I think our players' brains, because of the substitution pattern Kellie has always used, are now wired to tell their legs and lungs they need a break WAY sooner than they should be. It's like battery memory. If you never let a battery run down before recharging it, eventually it won't hold a charge for very long at all.
I love that battery analogy! So grateful Ni-Cads are going the way of rotary phones…

Our starting 5 played the most minutes of our worst quarter… that should tell u something. Even South Carolina plays 11-12 constantly. I think what we did was good if not should be expanded. Just have a shorter leash even for the starters imo.

Our starting 5 played the most minutes of our worst quarter… that should tell u something. Even South Carolina plays 11-12 constantly. I think what we did was good if not should be expanded. Just have a shorter leash even for the starters imo.
Long bench (regular season) vs short bench (tournament) argument/discussion. Pops up on the regular on the men’s basketball forum. Found a great analysis, although somewhat dated (2017), but covered a ten year period.

Long bench (regular season) vs short bench (tournament) argument/discussion. Pops up on the regular on the men’s basketball forum. Found a great analysis, although somewhat dated (2017), but covered a ten year period.
For tournament play I totally agree

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I was delighted to see Coach Kellie break up the Karoline Sarah underneath and go with Sarah and Tamari. I would've been fine with Tamari and Karoline just not her and Sarah. Tamari alleviates a lot of the defensive woes of one or the other. I really loved how we kept taking the shot the defense was giving us and not trying to force it inside as much. We showed patience on offense moving the ball side to side until we got a great open look. We didn't go away from taking the open shot even after just 4 of 15 from the three in the first half we came back with 8 of 14. We did find a way to lose the turnover battle after having only 7 to their 12 we ended up with 15 to their 14. We won the boards by a huge margin in this game they were only getting one shot and even though they scored 30 in the third quarter just one shot although they were making the shot.
Agree,,,she finally is heading in the direction of an SEC lineup and not an MVC lineup...Sara and Karoline can still get their minutes,,,this type of line up just sets the initial game-tone in a much different stratosphere

I agree with your analysis, however, what players KJH put on the floor together really matters. She can not afford to have Powell, Spear, Jackson, or Key on the bench at long periods of time. Missouri is a team who can get hot shooting the three and sometimes we have trouble defending the three. We need a lineup that best defends the three.

I think that KJH should avoid a lineup of Tess Darby, Pucket and Striplin on the floor together at the same time, especially against a three shooting team or a quick, or fast team. All three will play their hearts out but they just do not have the speed or quickness to keep up with quick and/fast players.
This to the umpteenth power!

Got to take in consideration on who they were playing last night. Most teams will look a lot better when you play those type of teams

Reactions: Golfteacher
Got to take in consideration on who they were playing last night. Most teams will look a lot better when you play those type of teams
Zackly,,,but then again, how badly we beat those "Sisters of the Poor Mercy" teams,,,will give us a good barometer for the team's ability to bring up the killer instinct

I do not have a problem with a rotation scheme like KJH if you have the dwags to get it done. However, subbing should be based upon several things, which includes but is not limited to, dictated by the team
you are playing, their lineup, their talent level, the other team’s subbing scheme, your talent level and a bushel basket of other things. Subbing because people get tired is always a consideration, however, you have to be careful not to allow subbing to depress your game and things start heading South. UConn has won championships with an 8 person rotation. We have to be honest KJH does not have a great 9 or 10 person rotation. There are certain situations where some players should never be on the floor at the same time, while other times it might be fine. When ever a coach sub in a player it should be made with both defense and offense in mind. If a lineup starts to go South the coach should use their timeouts judicially. Subbing should never allow the boat to sink.

I do not have a problem with a rotation scheme like KJH if you have the dwags to get it done. However, subbing should be based upon several things, which includes but is not limited to, dictated by the team
you are playing, their lineup, their talent level, the other team’s subbing scheme, your talent level and a bushel basket of other things. Subbing because people get tired is always a consideration, however, you have to be careful not to allow subbing to depress your game and things start heading South. UConn has won championships with an 8 person rotation. We have to be honest KJH does not have a great 9 or 10 person rotation. There are certain situations where some players should never be on the floor at the same time, while other times it might be fine. When ever a coach sub in a player it should be made with both defense and offense in mind. If a lineup starts to go South the coach should use their timeouts judicially. Subbing should never allow the boat to sink.
Absolutely. Pretty sure Kellie is into the maffs and analytics enough to utilize them to direct her decisions regarding lineups and substitutions. Unfortunately, I think her heart and feels interfere on a regular basis.

Reactions: VolBalls33
Absolutely. Pretty sure Kellie is into the maffs and analytics enough to utilize them to direct her decisions regarding lineups and substitutions. Unfortunately, I think her heart and feels interfere on a regular basis.

Fair point. I would add that there is likely a high correlation between Kellie's favorites and the players who work hardest in practice. So, there is a balance of rewarding effort (which is necessary for team morale) and getting the best match-ups.

On work and hustle, Strickland's minutes have been climbing since she returned from her concussion and the one thing she brings is effort. She seems like a scrappy player who is willing to chase after every loose ball and just get into the mix.

Teams need that kind of junk yard dog player--hi, i am here for the fight, not so much the basketball--as an energizer and irritant to the opponent.

I think when Kellie was complaining about her team being "too nice", it was that lack of scrappiness at issue. Jordan Walker had it and you can see flashes of it in Powell. But JP is not a player you want to get hurt or in foul trouble.

So, there is a good role for Strickland to fill. Become the player other teams hate.

Last edited:
I have them going 2-0 at home against SC and LSU. Jewel and Rickea are game changers. The entire core of the roster around them is playing good basketball.
Perhaps, it’s possible of course, esp with Spear playing so well lately. Love your optimism WC, it’s enthusiastic tbh. Peace and hope all the best to every team with no injuries, life is short, let’s enjoy all the possibilities and reward the efforts along the way.

Simply put, she seems to have wised up about substitutions. In her first few years here, she seemed to just make substitutions randomly---with the idea of just giving various players some playing time--and our play regularly deteriorated as numerous players entered and left the floor regularly. Maybe she was analytical about it--but it didn't seem so, as she was inserting players who were not productive on one or both ends. It had the appearance of willy-nilly. This year, she has shortened the rotation--which has been needed for years--and reduced the minutes of those who are not very effective. I'm not sure why it took a veteran coach and staff so long to get a handle on it, frankly. Certainly, getting Key back and playing good minutes as helped us defensively--and we are a team that needs all the defensive help we can get.

She is a Danny White hire who did a really great job at UCF but Georgia has been a challenge.
She's an abrasive personality that many in the game thought would struggle at Georgia. She has a talented recruiting class coming in next year and they'll have to show out in a hurry to get any momentum.

VN Store

Back