Game Thread: SEC: Lady Vols v Wildcats

Doubt if anyone is still watching, but that last play shows what kind of program we are right now..Horston ( who has a career high in points tonight, granted), missed a 3 foot shot, the girl guarding her got the rebound & beat our whole team down the court...Horston because she missed the shot, was the last player down, & barely crossed mid court, while her assignment was shooting a layup...If one of your best players is allowed to do that, your basketball program is doomed...I might lose more games, but if that is who you are, 5 star of not, u couldn't play for me...Hope she matures over the summer, but if you can't give your all, u shouldn't play, period

The Person who should be coach is sitting in a box watching the game sipping a drink in the 4 quarter she's a lady vols legend and has credibility with young hIgh school stars hey fullmer open the check book and hire her.
Yes I saw that and thought the same thing. When that sweet daughter gets older that very well may happen!

Reactions: Sportslady
Emily will never play meaningful minutes for us I do not think. Kellie did not recruit her either. Kellie has done more than I was expecting with what we had coming back. Truth is several of our players are just lazy and not very talented. Zay will help but not like we need her too I am afraid. We got more out of Lou than was expected and no point guard is shown. Need shooters and toughness all around. Davis is a good player but not great and somewhat pouty!
At least give Emily a chance before you comment, she might surprise.

It is Kellie's job to develop these players. She has done a poor job of it. Horston should be far better than she is. Key should be much better. By this time of year things should be clicking for them.

And the team should look like it knows what it is doing.

Right now we look like we just piled out of a clown car.
Although u agree, this is a weird game to call Horston out. Yes, she had 4-5 turnovers but she was excellent on offense and played pretty good defense tonight.

I just got a real question here. Did anyone else realize that Warlick was a $hitty coach besides me? Why was she kept so long just because she was able to coast the first several years on a program that still had Pat's influence. She was petty, lacked leadership ability and just generally a bad coach.

Last edited:
The Person who should be coach is sitting in a box watching the game sipping a drink in the 4 quarter she's a lady vols legend and has credibility with young hIgh school stars hey fullmer open the check book and hire her.
She has no Coaching experience, but I bet she could help with recruiting.

Doubt if anyone is still watching, but that last play shows what kind of program we are right now..Horston ( who has a career high in points tonight, granted), missed a 3 foot shot, the girl guarding her got the rebound & beat our whole team down the court...Horston because she missed the shot, was the last player down, & barely crossed mid court, while her assignment was shooting a layup...If one of your best players is allowed to do that, your basketball program is doomed...I might lose more games, but if that is who you are, 5 star of not, u couldn't play for me...Hope she matures over the summer, but if you can't give your all, u shouldn't play, period

She watched players do this in the program for several years. It's like when Pruitt took over the football program.

Reactions: Tnphil
The development of Jordan Horston during the off season will tell us almost everything we need to know about whether KJH is better than the previous staff. JH is obviously an insanely talented player, but is young and raw. Her inconsistency is on view almost every sequence, she makes one, she gives one away. Attention and focus seem to wander.

Fix this over the offseason, as any coach worth their salt must be busting to do, and it will make a huge difference in this team next year. Plus it would be a great sign that the obvious talent of JH will not go the way of Narad, Russell, etc.

Kellie has done a good job with what she has, but this team simply does not have a player with the fire to lead, or even to win. Davis has talent, but she is no leader because she does not give the effort to play hard. Burrell plays hard, but like a bull in a china shop. Key is probably the weakest center we have ever had. She cannot catch or hold the ball. Horston could be good, but she has a lot to learn, and needs to play under control. Brown can take charges, but sadly, she cannot guard a tree. Massingale scares me every time she attempts to pass the ball. Hopefully, Kellie is recruiting players who have the fire and the desire to play hard for 40 minutes. We have not had that in quite a while. Accolades don't score points or prevent them being scored; effort and desire do. Games like tonight take the life out of you. We allowed the refs to take us out of the game with crappy calls early, and then we gave up.

Look, all the "the Lady Vols program is dead" stuff is silly. Major programs in other sports undergo periods of improvement and decline. The Lady Vols experienced unprecedented stability for a number of reasons, some of which aren't even in play for women's basketball anymore. And in most sports, programs rise and fall. If 21-7 is dead then GREAT. That's a hell of a floor for "dead." This has been a really underwhelming year for the Lady Vols, no doubt, and they have a lot of soul searching to do in the off-season, particular on their affinity for turning the ball over, but this stuff about the program being dead is exaggerating the current state. Anything can turn around in sports. And Tennessee's got much better odds to turn things around than the average program. So long as there's a commitment to fixing the problem, Tennessee is already leaps and bounds ahead of most programs.

The development of Jordan Horston during the off season will tell us almost everything we need to know about whether KJH is better than the previous staff. JH is obviously an insanely talented player, but is young and raw. Her inconsistency is on view almost every sequence, she makes one, she gives one away. Attention and focus seem to wander.

Fix this over the offseason, as any coach worth their salt must be busting to do, and it will make a huge difference in this team next year. Plus it would be a great sign that the obvious talent of JH will not go the way of Narad, Russell, etc.

SHe did this at the end of one of the most frustrating games she has been in...Give the kid a break.
Damn it! and read the below post!

Tough to win when God’s hand was guiding the Ky shooters. Give them their due. Great game but I still bleed Orange. All you gloom & doomers can kiss off![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Raebo
You know, it’s easy to bash the players, and bash the things the coaching staff do, or don’t do, but at the end of the day, the intensity was not there from our players.

By now, they ought to know that the name, “TENNESSEE,” doesn’t scare anyone anymore. Those days are long gone. We may not have the best shooting night, but we sure as heck should never have a bad game of taking care of the ball, rebounding, and playing defense, despite how well a team shoots the ball.

There were countless times I saw KY miss a shot, and then TENN players would just watch the ball and KY run and get a rebound. Tonight, my top performers were Lou Brown, Jordan Horston, and Tamari Key. Lou was willing to give her body on those charges, and she took the opportunity when she had it to score.

Sure, Jordan had many turnovers, and missed chippy layups, but she was the most consistent and most aggressive player on offense. Her defensive had ups and downs, but I applaud her for having more effort than most. Tamari, while she got into foul trouble, I loved her intensity with blocking those shots. She took that one ball away from Blair’s Green near the end of the game. That’s the type of intensity I want all our players to have 40 minutes a game, not just when you’re down 20+ points and the other teams slacks off their intensity.

I want Rae to quit being out of control and trying to force her offensive game. She had many trips down into the paint and could not connect on easy layups all because she was “hoping” she would get a foul called, and that didn’t work tonight. She’s got to learn to finish the layup and quit trying to rely on a whistle being the factor.

Rennia was just not on at all. She wasn’t even looking for her shot tonight. Almost like she didn’t want to be there. I’ve said it before, Rennia has been the go-to player all year, and KY defended her well. We have got to have a consistent second, third, fourth, fifth scorer to offset so much attention from Rennia. Lou did that in the first quarter, but then faded away. The one thing I liked about Jordan’s game, even if she missed, she stepped up and made a bucket, she wasn’t afraid of the outcome and took the risk. Right or wrong, you can’t blame her. Someone has to be willing to take chances. Look at Rhyne Howard, she trusts herself and is comfortable taking chances. She doesn’t always make those crazy shots, but it worked tonight, and it’ll work again, I’m sure.

It’s time we regroup and get back to basics. Lord knows, the next several days are going to be long.

While many comments can come off negative on these posts, I always try to remain positive. Pat had years where they weren’t winning and losing too. It happens to everyone. I don’t think we should just give up on our Ladies and Coach Harper. It’s only her first year, and these players, current and new, had a coaching change they had to adjust to. We can’t understand what that’s like, because we’re not in the team’s day-to-day routines. I ask all Lady Vol fans, to be patient. Patience is a virtue. All good things come to those who wait. I know we’ve waited over 10 years to get back to the top, but I’m telling you, once the time comes, that wait will have been worth it. Something great is brewing in Knoxville!

Go Lady Vols!

Last edited:
This team needs the fanbase' support and backing more than ever right now folks,
Spirits can easily be broken
Keep in mind that potential recruits and families read this board

They need us to be strong for them.

If you feel the need to post negativity, do it on somewhere else please
These kids have nine days to read your posts, give them support and backing.

No, not false praise, they don't need that either, just think about who reads this when you post in the next 9 days

So when the Lady Vols lose a game do we have folks who just lose their minds or is there a subset of “fans” that get all their life frustrations out by ragging on this team and staff. Honestly folks, if a loss makes you turn on a team you supposedly support, get a new team or don’t watch at all.
The stupid comments on here are just too numerous to discuss but I will point out those who say the program regressed over the season as particularly ridiculous. The competition got much stiffer in the last 25% of the season. So we struggled with some of the top 10 teams. I don’t know how you look at Rennia, Rae, Jaz, Jordan, Key and say they aren’t better now than they were at the beginning of the season. I would certainly say we are not consistent but are certainly better. Kentucky shot lights out tonight. The howling crowd will attribute that to every negative thing they can think of regarding our team and staff. We have been a pretty good defensive team this year. Why in the hell would you think that we just forgot how to play defense or just didn’t care. I would encourage those of you who just swing by this site to drop a load of horse manure every time we lose to get a new team or therapy.

SHe did this at the end of one of the most frustrating games she has been in...Give the kid a break.
Damn it! and read the below post!
No, she did it several times. So did Rae. Then there were those inexplicable times (maybe due to screens) we saw Key or Brown on Howard. Defensive intensity was just not the same tonight, from players or coaches.

And thanks, but I'll read and post as I please. Since I don't suffer under delusions of my own self-importance nor have the extreme need to interject myself into the team psyche, I can do so with full realization that what I say or think has zero impact on anyone's "spirit"., much less their recruiting decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amb3096 and olddog
Just a quick note after reading most of these comments:

There are many very successful college coaches who started out with bad records the first year or two. If I remember correctly, Coach K lost a bunch his first year or two.

I think HCKH has done fairly well with the team she inherited and the culture she inherited. She still has some growing to do, I'm sure; but at this point, I'm ready to give her the three years you would give any new coach to recruit their own players and install their own system.

No, she did it several times. So did Rae. Then there were those inexplicable times (maybe due to screens) we saw Key or Brown on Howard. Defensive intensity was just not the same tonight, from players or coaches.

Try not to be yourself,, just once

VN Store

Back