Game Thread: SEC: Lady Vols v Wildcats

Gotta say f-it and clear the roster. The only problem is Harper is struggling in recruiting. Can't even get an early commitment from a younger sister. This is hard to watch.

Reactions: Prophet1
Emily will never play meaningful minutes for us I do not think. Kellie did not recruit her either. Kellie has done more than I was expecting with what we had coming back. Truth is several of our players are just lazy and not very talented. Zay will help but not like we need her too I am afraid. We got more out of Lou than was expected and no point guard is shown. Need shooters and toughness all around. Davis is a good player but not great and somewhat pouty!

The Person who should be coach is sitting in a box watching the game sipping a drink in the 4 quarter she's a lady vols legend and has credibility with young hIgh school stars hey fullmer open the check book and hire her.

Reactions: orangealways
Gotta say f-it and clear the roster. The only problem is Harper is struggling in recruiting. Can't even get an early commitment from a younger sister. This is hard to watch.
I think younger sister will commit but not any hurry for me. Need to get Kellie a few players and if she can get a few we will know where she is a keeper. I think yes but what do I know, I have only been around upper level basketball for 45 years!

Emily will never play meaningful minutes for us I do not think. Kellie did not recruit her either. Kellie has done more than I was expecting with what we had coming back. Truth is several of our players are just lazy and not very talented. Zay will help but not like we need her too I am afraid. We got more out of Lou than was expected and no point guard is shown. Need shooters and toughness all around. Davis is a good player but not great and somewhat pouty!
A point and Athletic bigs

Look, all the "the Lady Vols program is dead" stuff is silly. Major programs in other sports undergo periods of improvement and decline. The Lady Vols experienced unprecedented stability for a number of reasons, some of which aren't even in play for women's basketball anymore. And in most sports, programs rise and fall. If 21-7 is dead then GREAT. That's a hell of a floor for "dead." This has been a really underwhelming year for the Lady Vols, no doubt, and they have a lot of soul searching to do in the off-season, particular on their affinity for turning the ball over, but this stuff about the program being dead is exaggerating the current state. Anything can turn around in sports. And Tennessee's got much better odds to turn things around than the average program. So long as there's a commitment to fixing the problem, Tennessee is already leaps and bounds ahead of most programs.

Never a good sign when at the end of the game you have to look at the game program to find out who the other team has on the court.

And I know that we can’t control the refs, but these refs were awful! They were so in favor of KY and handed them several possessions.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
A few of us, Rae and Jordan, gotta learn to keep playing hard on D. I usually don't go for lack of efforts posts, but a few times they have flat out refused to close hard on a 3 pt shooter. Both are young, they'll learn.

We were never going to make much of a run with Davis sub par. Love her, she's had a great season, could be very special next year, but she is NOT ready for the WNBA.

This game reminded me why I have soured on women's basketball. Lady Vols basketball is just hard to watch. Middling program that just keep getting slapped.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Look, all the "the Lady Vols program is dead" stuff is silly. Major programs in other sports undergo periods of improvement and decline. The Lady Vols experienced unprecedented stability for a number of reasons, some of which aren't even in play for women's basketball anymore. And in most sports, programs rise and fall. If 21-7 is dead then GREAT. That's a hell of a floor for "dead." This has been a really underwhelming year for the Lady Vols, no doubt, and they have a lot of soul searching to do in the off-season, particular on their affinity for turning the ball over, but this stuff about the program being dead is exaggerating the current state. Anything can turn around in sports. And Tennessee's got much better odds to turn things around than the average program. So long as there's a commitment to fixing the problem, Tennessee is already leaps and bounds ahead of most programs.

No offense to KJH but a real commitment from a legendary program is not pulling a coach from a Missouri Valley school. It’s UNC pulling a head coach from Kansas or UK pulling the top recruiter in the game from Memphis.

While we are leaps and bounds ahead of most programs, most programs don't make the NCAAT.
We are also leaps and bounds behind the top programs.

Reactions: orangealways
A few of us, Rae and Jordan, gotta learn to keep playing hard on D. I usually don't go for lack of efforts posts, but a few times they have flat out refused to close hard on a 3 pt shooter. Both are young, they'll learn.

We were never going to make much of a run with Davis sub par. Love her, she's had a great season, could be very special next year, but she is NOT ready for the WNBA.

Davis is a mediocre defender at best...doesn't move her feet and waves her arms ineffectively as her man goes by her. She also can't handle contact and takes plays or whole halves off. She needs to toughen up. She gets a lot of accolades for her offense but is not a good example for the rest of the team.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I think younger sister will commit but not any hurry for me. Need to get Kellie a few players and if she can get a few we will know where she is a keeper. I think yes but what do I know, I have only been around upper level basketball for 45 years!
I don't know but maybe they should have turned the team over to Coach Jumper.

This program is a lot like the UCLA men’s program. A lot of history but no recent success and They just don’t attract the top talent anymore. I don’t ever see this program being more than a middle tier SEC team again

You attract top talent by hiring an elite coach. We made no effort to do that. We hired a coach that hasn't proven a thing at this level. It isn’t likely to get any better.

Exactly! The Doomsday Preppers always come out to jump in the gloom when we play badly. I'm surprised by how many didn't realize how far we had fallen, guess they weren't paying attention when we lost to Alabama several times in a row. And of course, not many people are down for the process of rebuilding step by step.

Also I'm not seeing the need for this total roster clearing. Some improvement, the return of Zaay and a couple of timely reinforcements and we should take the next step next year. If not, I'll buy 20 yrs worth of food and join the preppers.

KeKe Mckinney needs a slice of humble pie based on that post game interview. Maybe MS St. will give it to her. And please do something about that blue hair.

This is what you get when you are the punching bag and teams can issue payback to a program 2 to 3 degrees of separation from Old Dominion or Louisiana Tech.

No offense to KJH but a real commitment from a legendary program is not pulling a coach from a Missouri Valley school. It’s UNC pulling a head coach from Kansas or UK pulling the top recruiter in the game from Memphis.

Yeah, I'm not commenting on the current coaching or the decisions made, just the overall tone of acting like the program is in a grave and buried. It seems goofy to make that claim. I don't know if Tennessee has found the solution with the changes they've made. But there's a lot of resources to work with to find out, and hopefully they can do that. I know they won't treat it like they did with Pat at the helm, but perhaps they'll give it enough attention to get the program to a good place.

Reactions: glv98

VN Store

Back