Game Thread: SEC: Lady Vols v Wildcats

I hope so, I've been negative at times but the
team is a lot like the football team lack of
consistency. The ladies all need to get on
the same page. When they do look out!!!!
Go Lady Vols.

If this game is that much of a nail biter, I may not make it. If I don’t, please send donations to St Judes in lieu of flowers. :)
lol! I'm with you there.

If our Lady Vols DO happen to get the win tonight, I don't feel like I will have any choice but to haul my @ss over to Greenville tomorrow. I had planned to rest this weekend instead of spending so much of it driving, but dang... I can rest in my next lifetime, right?! lol

GO LADY VOLS! Make me have to drive, drive, drive!

I believe most will come to understand why Kellie has been substituting so much with her young players. This particular team has talent on the bench but is way short on experience. The only good way to get game experience is to play. To move forward, Kellie could either play her seven best players most of the game and win a little more impressively or play ten to improve the bench and develop better tournament legs. Kellies approach all along has focused on long term player and team development which will pay dividends when it comes to tournament play. JMO

lol! I'm with you there.

If our Lady Vols DO happen to get the win tonight, I don't feel like I will have any choice but to haul my @ss over to Greenville tomorrow. I had planned to rest this weekend instead of spending so much of it driving, but dang... I can rest in my next lifetime, right?! lol

GO LADY VOLS! Make me have to drive, drive, drive!
We lost by 4 AT Kentucky, before Howard broke her finger, but then, Rennia scored 27 points in that game. We can win this game, might wanna start packing. 🙂

Just saw Holly. She is here on crutches. Looks good otherwise.

That's great to hear! My heart hopes she is there in support of her Lady Vol sisters, as that would be the perfect venue to re-enter the family after having taken time away to heal and regroup. Hopefully enough time has passed for everyone to move on and remember her ONLY for the many past glories and good times the program enjoyed. It's time.

P.S. Editing to say that I also acknowledge that her presence "could* be a distraction if not handled right. But I trust Kellie to handle it right.

Last edited:
Sure hope the defensive intensity stays ramped up. I feel pretty confident Rennia will have a much better night. All I need Jordan to do is turn in another solid, steady performance, nothing spectacular. To do so twice in a row and against better competition and in this setting would be huge for her and for us. If the posts can bring 24 pts like last night it would be great. Someone needs to hit some 3s.

Tonight can we please not do whatever that little dosey-doe weave dance out at the center circle is? That has become downright embarrassing. It's way too far out, and no one ever does anything off of it, no cuts or anything. They just exchange the ball a few times (and we all know how dangerous that can be for our team) then head downcourt and start the play. Is this a time wasting technique? Are we so efficient offensively we can waste the first 10 seconds of the shot clock? I can't figure out the purpose of our version of the tried and true weave.

Go Lady Vols!!

Who do y’all think is the best defender to put on Rhyne Howard? I kinda like going with Jordan Horston. She’s so lanky and quick and has the height to match her. I think we need to put emphasis on her, and force KY to come up with another answer. I say we hound the ball down low and let KK and Key go to work early so we can free up our outside shooters. And no clogging the paint!

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Who do y’all think is the best defender to put on Rhyne Howard? I kinda like going with Jordan Horston. She’s so lanky and quick and has the height to match her.
I'll bet we see a combo of Horston, Davis, and possibly Burrell at times on Howard. Maybe change up defensive looks on her throughout the game.

That's great to hear! My heart hopes she is there in support of her Lady Vol sisters, as that would be the perfect venue to re-enter the family after having taken time away to heal and regroup. Hopefully enough time has passed for everyone to move on and remember her ONLY for the many past glories and good times the program enjoyed. It's time.

P.S. Editing to say that I also acknowledge that her presence "could* be a distraction if not handled right. But I trust Kellie to handle it right.
Actually, I find the timing of this awkward, our team needs no distractions now, and their focus doesn’t need to be anywhere but on beating Kentucky.

Tonight can we please not do whatever that little dosey-doe weave dance out at the center circle is? That has become downright embarrassing. It's way too far out, and no one ever does anything off of it, no cuts or anything. They just exchange the ball a few times (and we all know how dangerous that can be for our team) then head downcourt and start the play. Is this a time wasting technique? Are we so efficient offensively we can waste the first 10 seconds of the shot clock? I can't figure out the purpose of our version of the tried and true weave.

Perhaps it's some kind of brilliant hypnosis technique that we'll spring on an unsuspecting opponent at the perfect moment when, all of a sudden, it's NOT what their scouting report said it was (a waste of time) and it DOES result in a purposeful cut for an easy score. Lull the opponent into a sense of confidence that nothing is going to happen and then BAM!!! lol

But seriously, I hate that "thing," whatever it is.

Actually, I find the timing of this awkward, our team needs no distractions now, and their focus doesn’t need to be anywhere but on beating Kentucky.

Yes, I went back and edited to include that valid point. Hopefully there will be no awkwardness, which would be perfect.

I'll bet we see a combo of Horston, Davis, and possibly Burrell at times on Howard. Maybe change up defensive looks on her throughout the game.
I think that is pretty good guess. Jaz May even be okay to put on her at times, especially if they’re going to set a lot of offensive screens to confuse our defense.

Reactions: glv98
It’s not like she is around the team to even be a distraction. Doubt they would even know she’s here. Some people worry to much. She is just here to watch some basketball and support the girls just like the rest of the fans. Kellie has nothing to handle concerning Holly. I’m sure Holly wouldn’t allow that to happen anyway. She’s still a Lady Vol for Life, she just isn’t our coach any longer.

Kellie has nothing to handle concerning Holly. I’m sure Holly wouldn’t allow that to happen anyway. She’s still a Lady Vol for Life, she just isn’t our coach any longer.

I agree. I didn’t mean to imply that it would necessarily be a huge problem to handle, but just that if Holly comes by to say hey to the team that Kellie will know exactly how to make that moment unawkward for anyone. I don’t know for sure that Kellie hasn’t already been around this year’s team — she may have long ago reached out for all I know — but if she hasn’t, then her former players could be forgiven if it did feel a bit awkward the first time they talk to her. I’m sure Kellie would give her a big hug and be happy to see her, thereby signalling to the kids that everything’s A-Ok. :)

Tennessee and Kentucky have near identical records (21-7 vs 21-9), and identical conference records (10-6), and yet Kentucky is 16th and Tennessee is unranked. The Wildcats' two wins (Mississippi State, Texas A&M, both at home) are the only real difference in these two teams. Granted, Tennessee hasn't had a signature win this year to speak of aside from a surprise road result at Notre Dame, but the difference the publicity and press around the two teams this year is a little bit interesting to consider.

Howard is going to get her points but Vandy’s center matched her on offense. Vandy was aggressive on defense and did no give up despite being down 9 to start the 4th qt.
Points off turnovers could be a real key and do not forget about Roper and Patterson. Roper was really effective against Vandy.

Tennessee and Kentucky have near identical records (21-7 vs 21-9), and identical conference records (10-6), and yet Kentucky is 16th and Tennessee is unranked. The Wildcats' two wins (Mississippi State, Texas A&M, both at home) are the only real difference in these two teams. Granted, Tennessee hasn't had a signature win this year to speak of aside from a surprise road result at Notre Dame, but the difference the publicity and press around the two teams this year is a little bit interesting to consider.

Also, Kentucky had a bad home loss against Florida, and another bad loss last week at Vanderbilt. Tennessee has had no truly bad losses.

Sure hope the defensive intensity stays ramped up. I feel pretty confident Rennia will have a much better night. All I need Jordan to do is turn in another solid, steady performance, nothing spectacular. To do so twice in a row and against better competition and in this setting would be huge for her and for us. If the posts can bring 24 pts like last night it would be great. Someone needs to hit some 3s.

I like this comment as I’ve said all season that they run this weave which serves no purpose but run the shot clock down only to throw up a poor shot! Let the guards slow down, penetrate and look for a open teammate, and for Pete’s sake, don’t throw it to the wrong team! Lol

I will remember Holly for who she was: the good, the bad and the ugly.

VN Store

Back