Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

Wow, an interesting assessment. Rickea ruined the D by being on fire. I do agree her development as a passer was a big improvement in her game, and it was beautiful to watch when she fished to Jewel and Sara as well as scored late in the season. But the important thing that ruined that yesterday was not that Rickea hit shots, it was that Jewel and Sara didn't.

Moore was asked how he held RJ to just two points in that awful second quarter after 16 in the first and his answer was the one we can all recite by bitter memory by now - he was able to change up his D and collapse on her. It is to the credit of the best offensive player we've had since Candace Parker that she was able to fight through that and score 15 in the second half. Truly a performance for the ages.

All of which makes me think about Jewel. Love her, love her happy warrior spirit, believe she'll be back, but truthfully, Jewel is Sara v.2, only with even less length. Jewel got eaten alive by their speedy guards literally fm the tip off. Like so many of our returning players, she's a step slow to do what she does consistently against the best teams. She can be great against the Alabamas of the world, but will really have to take a step forward in the off season to be the consistent scorer we need her to be next year. I'm not super confident that can happen at this point in her career, but sure hope so.

100%. It is fascinating that someone found a way to pin this loss on Rickea. Her 33 pt., 10 rebound game really killed the team...

Per Spear, all very true. But you pair her with a more athletic guard, like Cooper and then team can then play to her strengths and mask her weaknesses, Having said that, more off season work is needed but she can be a big scorer next season. A lot of great players are not the quickest.

100%. It is fascinating that someone found a way to pin this loss on Rickea. Her 33 pt., 10 rebound game really killed the team...

Per Spear, all very true. But you pair her with a more athletic guard, like Cooper and the team can then play to her strengths and mask her weaknesses, Having said that, more off season work is needed but she can be a big scorer next season. A lot of great players are not the quickest.
I have no doubt Spear will put in the work, not sure about others. I’ll wait to make an assessment on Cooper since I haven’t really seen much of her game at all. But I looked up her stats and she’s a 23% 3pt shooter and 38%ft shooter, do u think that’s a concern?

Reactions: madtownvol
100%. It is fascinating that someone found a way to pin this loss on Rickea. Her 33 pt., 10 rebound really killed the team...
Creek explained he didn't mean to pin it on Rickea. Just meant we play best when scoring is shared. I'm sure eveyone would have loved scoring to be more shared, but no one else was up to the task.

It's interesting too bc just as many will say our biggest sin was not going exclusively to Rickea more, not having her put up 25-30 shots per game. And definitely there were times we should have gotten her the ball more in crucial situations.

But in the long run, I think this staff did a wonderful job preparing Rickea for exactly the role she's most likely to have on the next level.

I'm going to miss watching her play so much. Wish we could have gotten more big wins for her. She had one of the best SEC careers in a long time, but also one of the most tumultous.

I have no doubt Spear will put in the work, not sure about others. I’ll wait to make an assessment on Cooper since I haven’t really seen much of her game at all. But I looked up her stats and she’s a 23% 3pt shooter and 38%ft shooter, do u think that’s a concern?
Of course, that was a freshman who did not get a lot of playing. Check our Rae Burrell's freshman stats and they don't look much different, She has had a whole year, injury free to work on her game. I think we need to wait and see what on her offensive game but she is athletic and quick and that is an element sorely missing in this years team. Last year, Jordan Horston did so much for this team, particularly on the defensive side and no one filled that gap this year.

I think they'll all put in the work. Just not sure the lack of speed can be worked away at this point in their careers.

Interested to get announcments fm Jewel, TK an Tess. I know they need a few days to process first.

Cooper is a mystery to me. Her athleticism jumps out when you see her in person almost like Rickea's. But I'm super worried she's Kaiya Wynn 2.0 as far as offense. Probably why she was buried so deeply on Dawn's bench. Hopefully that can and will be worked away.

Per Spear, all very true. But you pair her with a more athletic guard, like Cooper and then team can then play to her strengths and mask her weaknesses, Having said that, more off season work is needed but she can be a big scorer next season. A lot of great players are not the quickest.

Heavy sigh.

No one "pinned this loss on Rickea."

Even the TV commentators noted that her teammates were standing around watching her too much. The same poster who said that this had an effect on their getting back in transition also praised Rickea's magnificent performance and said that she "just needed a little more help." That's asking for more from her teammates, not blaming Rickea.

In fact, in the late going, I commented out loud that they should just keep going to Rickea. And, when she got her shot blocked from behind, didn't blame her a bit because she was our best option.

But whatever.

Of course, that was a freshman who did not get a lot of playing. Check our Rae Burrell's freshman stats and they don't look much different, She has had a whole year, injury free to work on her game. I think we need to wait and see what on her offensive game but she is athletic and quick and that is an element sorely missing in this years team. Last year, Jordan Horston did so much for this team, particularly on the defensive side and no one filled that gap this year.
True, but we have to have scorers. We now have 20 pts a game to make up, and a sh*t ton of defensive attention now free to harrass us. We have to have a quality young post, a quality pg (to play with DW) and a big time scorer.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I’m sure we could use her off the bench, but we need to find some guards/wings that can dribble penetrate and shoot. But we also need a starting Center, I think those are are most important needs.

Reactions: glv98
Creek explained he didn't mean to pin it on Rickea. Just meant we play best when scoring is shared. I'm sure eveyone would have loved scoring to be more shared, but no one else was up to the task.

It's interesting too bc just as many will say our biggest sin was not going exclusively to Rickea more, not having her put up 25-30 shots per game. And definitely there were times we should have gotten her the ball more in crucial situations.

But in the long run, I think this staff did a wonderful job preparing Rickea for exactly the role she's most likely to have on the next level.

I'm going to miss watching her play so much. Wish we could have gotten more big wins for her. She had one of the best SEC careers in a long time, but also one of the most tumultous.

I didn't realize that Creek was who you were addressing!! Sorry Creek!

In some way, the first quarter ironically did set the stage for the 2nd quarter fade. Everyone came out hot and as Kellie said in the presser, they weren't running their offense sets that well but were just making shots. But, they had too many TOs and rather than having a 6-8 point lead, they were down 2 at the end of the first, And in the 2nd, they went cold, NCST quintupled teamed Rickea (can't believe the refs missed NCST playing with 9 players--my memory is never wrong!!) and the LVs got buried deep.

Kellie made some great defensive adjustments for the 2nd half which is impressive because NCST had a massive speed and quickness advantage. If only they had been able to find that defensive groove earlier.

On Rickea, you can't sing her praises enough. She really deserved "more". I absolutely love how she took on this "mother" role for the team (her children). I appreciate Jaz Powell, she gave her all every night and she would have been an awesome # 2 PG, but she was not up to the level needed (though not for a lack of trying). Rickea with an elite PG would have produced a "Caitlin who?" season. I will say that Darth was right about the irony of Kellie not being able to find/develop a great PG. We will never know what Destiny would have added once she get more settled but it sure would have been nice to have another option in the mix. Wynn hit her ceiling and while she had some good moment in SEC play, she was never going to be the answer.

These stats are just eye popping. The big thing that jumps out to me is how well she played against the best competition. Last year, except her monster game against LSU in the semis, this was not true. Worth coming back this year for, afraid we won't see her like around here again for a long time.

I’m sure we could use her off the bench, but we need to find some guards/wings that can dribble penetrate and shoot. But we also need a starting Center, I think those are are most important needs.
I am hoping that TK returns. I have too say, in the press conference, she did not look the part but that was catching her at a low point. I think TK could be a monster next year with a full off season to get fit. Have her sister join for some added depth. If she does not return, then absolutely a post player is the #1 (all hands on deck emergency) priority closely followed by a PG.

I am hoping that TK returns. I have too say, in the press conference, she did not look the part but that was catching her at a low point. I think TK could be a monster next year with a full off season to get fit. Have her sister join for some added depth. If she does not return, then absolutely a post player is the #1 (all hands on deck emergency) priority closely followed by a PG.
Key can return but she needs to be a backup, let’s see if she puts in the work because it starts now and not when the team comes together.

Reactions: glv98
Most, or at least an awful lot, of the best teams have some combination of superb pg play combined with a really strong inside presence. CONN, LSU, SC, Iowa (last year), OSU, Stanford, and others have ridden that train to success. Teams without one or the other usually get tripped up along the way.

I thought the same thing watching TK at the presser. Looked like a player for whom it was over, though that could have been just about this season. Hope she comes back and hope Teoni makes Mom's life easier by coming over, whether she's any good or not, which I honestly don't know. Would be a great all time LV story.

These stats are just eye popping. The big thing that jumps out to me is how well she played against the best competition. Last year, except her monster game against LSU in the semis, this was not true. Worth coming back this year for, afraid we won't see her like around here again for a long time.

I want her to go third to the sky (permanent soft spot for Candace's former team) but if I were a GM, she would be my #2 pick over Brink. In pure objective terms, I think she is a better prospect than Clark but, there is too much $ in jersey and ticket sales too pass on CC at #1. Rickea not making AA this season is going to become one of the great "what the eff were they thinking" moments

I want her to go third to the sky (permanent soft spot for Candace's former team) but if I were a GM, she would be my #2 pick over Brink. In pure objective terms, I think she is a better prospect than Clark but, there is too much $ in jersey and ticket sales too pass on CC at #1. Rickea not making AA this season is going to become one of the great "what the eff were they thinking" moments
I agree, but I'm heavily biased. I think Rickea has a far better pro body than either Clark or Brink and eventually will have the best pro career. I want her to go to the Sky just bc it's so much closer to home for her and I always worry about them going so far from home, though Jordy seems to be doing well in far flung Seattle.

Both the Sparks and Sky will be pretty awful next year, which gives her a chance to play alot but still means she'll have a hard time playing for championships. Probably the best player to come thru the SEC in a long time with the fewest major wins. Had a good chance w Vic her frosh yr then covid and his departure tore it all up.

My ball game buddy is so excited for what the draft day outfit is going to be.

True, but we have to have scorers. We now have 20 pts a game to make up, and a sh*t ton of defensive attention now free to harrass us. We have to have a quality young post, a quality pg (to play with DW) and a big time scorer.
And that post, or another new player needs to be an excellent rebounder who can make putbacks, hopefully without bringing the ball down, or dribbling in the paint.

Wow, an interesting assessment. Rickea ruined the D by being on fire. I do agree her development as a passer was a big improvement in her game, and it was beautiful to watch when she fished to Jewel and Sara as well as scored late in the season. But the important thing that ruined that yesterday was not that Rickea hit shots, it was that Jewel and Sara didn't.

Moore was asked how he held RJ to just two points in that awful second quarter after 16 in the first and his answer was the one we can all recite by bitter memory by now - he was able to change up his D and collapse on her. It is to the credit of the best offensive player we've had since Candace Parker that she was able to fight through that and score 15 in the second half. Truly a performance for the ages.

All of which makes me think about Jewel. Love her, love her happy warrior spirit, believe she'll be back, but truthfully, Jewel is Sara v.2, only with even less length. Jewel got eaten alive by their speedy guards literally fm the tip off. Like so many of our returning players, she's a step slow to do what she does consistently against the best teams. She can be great against the Alabamas of the world, but will really have to take a step forward in the off season to be the consistent scorer we need her to be next year. I'm not super confident that can happen at this point in her career, but sure hope so.
YES, YES, and YES! In order for us to beat good teams and compete, Jewel HAD to be the Robin to Rickea, and that didn’t happen! Jewel has to get quicker next year if she’s going to be an elite scoring option!

I still can’t believe we were lucky enough to be able to witness Jackson in a Lady Vol uniform! I hate she wasn’t able to lead us to the promised land! 💔

Man we were so blessed! 😩😩😩

VN Store

Back