Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

A very "tall" ask of Tennessee to go into North Carolina States' house and get a dub.

We played well enough (in three quarters) to win. Unfortunately, the game is 4 quarters. For what ever reason we completely abandoned our game plan in the second quarter. After scoring 14 points in the first quarter Jackson scored two in the second. When that happens you usually lose!

We need at least two atheletic 6 foot tall wings/ guards who can handle the ball and finish at the rim. Understand their role! In other words we need a Rivers or a James. In the SEC you have got to get to the rim and finish. I am glad we have Wells for next year (maybe) but in the SEC height and length is a difference maker.

Reactions: Rixxx and travis929
I said it at the time: We screwed up by getting into an up-tempo game with a team that's much better at that style of play than we are. We should
have had a strategy of playing a deliberate, half-court game. Did we? It certainly didn't seem like it. We let the game get away from us when it was imperative that we keep it close. You can't fall behind a good team by 16 or whatever it was at the half and expect to win.

It is interesting how many games of this type we have played against good competition. We have either a 1st or 2nd quarter when we stink it up, we're down by double digits going into the second half and then we rally in either the 3rd or 4th to make it close--though usually lose in the end. It's not a winning pattern.

Not going to matter until we have a coach who holds them accountable.
I agree. Everytime we play a tough team we can’t never seem to get a lead and control
the game. We don’t play well till we’re down double digits and then it’s too late. This team can’t stay motivated, we are very slow overall. And some of our faster players get out if control. I am sorry for Kellie, but it’s been 5 years and things aren’t looking better. Sloppy passing and ball handling leads to turnovers and teams that move well in transition kill us with layups and easy looks. Sloppy play continues and that is ultimately on the coach. We aren’t getting closer to being a championship type team. Our offensive flow is offensive, we look lost on offense. No identity at all. Kellie has had 5 years to go find players that are sound and aggressive and quick. We need players that confident and will scrap. We have none of that.

Not all in with this staff but you have to give them credit for half time adjustments and motivation because after a putrid first half we saw a very different team in the second half.
But we always have to get kicked before we play. We have to be prepared from the get go. This team loves to take to many breaks.

What are u saying?
Key Is not a backup. I think her overall game improved this year. She is not a backup for the majority of D1 teams. Yes she has plenty of room for improvement. As for the rest I mostly agree, Puckett may start in another conference or low SEC. Sorry I was so short had to get in the yard for some evening chores before dark.

We got Wells, but she got hurt early, and went out for the season. Looking now like that may have been a huge loss.
I was never in on Wells, maybe she can be a backup for a few mins but not big time mins at all. I’m sorry but I, not holding back anymore I’m just going to give my true feelings.

Danny White made his first post about the Lady Vols on X today.

The comments are now filled with fans begging him to fire Kellie or at least send Jon to the bleachers with the kids.

Are you listening Danny?

Key Is not a backup. I think her overall game improved this year. She is not a backup for the majority of D1 teams. Yes she has plenty of room for improvement. As for the rest I mostly agree, Puckett may start in another conference or low SEC. Sorry I was so short had to get in the yard for some evening chores before dark.
Lauren Betts was a backup and she’s way better than Key, she has too many flaws in her game to be a starter for a team like the LadyVols, she can barely catch a pass, has a hard time making layups, she doesn’t fight for position even against smaller players, she doesn’t fight for rebounds, too many times small guards snatch the ball out of her hands and she just throws her hands up and she doesn’t move well at all. But a positive is she's tall and u can’t teach height.

Two plays typified this game, one early, one late. First was tip off where Jewel fell asleep. Last one was when Rivers stuffed Tess. That about says it all. We had by far the best player, but they had more good ones

It's not about coaching, it's about players. Harper is a decent enough coach, she's just not a good recruiter. It's also not new, we've said this all year. Our margin for error was razor thin all year and when Jewel and Sara both have bad games, we have almost no chance. And both had the worst games they've had in a long time today. And when Tess contributes, esp against elite competition, it's a bonus. Didn't happen today.

Poor JP, we knew she was bumping against her ceiling with the heavy load she had to carry. She is not selfish or stupid or a ball hog. She's a good but not great pg who looks bad when her options are taken away. And she's a wonderful kid.

None of what happened today or before has the slightest bit to do with "not deciding to play" "not holding accountable", etc. That's stupid stuff fans say. It has to do with simply not having enough elite players. We have/had(hate typing that) exactly ONE. And she is/was so very elite she was almost able to carry the whole team on her back today, and many other days.

What an absolute pleasure to get to watch Rickea play these last two years. She's special, one of the best we've had in the last 20 years, and unfortunately, probably the best we will have in the foreseeable future. So glad to see her go out in an absolute blaze of glory today, sort of bookending her awesome game at Florida St early this season.

I do give the players, and coaches, credit for never quitting, and always fighting like hell. Just wish they hadn't had to do that so often.

This season does feel like a step back and next season feels like the edge of the cliff. KJH will be back, unless she resigns, but without a huge portal haul, it's going to be rougher than rough. She just has to find a way to get 2 or 3 more truly elite players, and that's a very tall task. Whether it's NIL or what, she has to get it worked out. We'll see.

Last edited:
Not all in with this staff but you have to give them credit for half time adjustments and motivation because after a putrid first half we saw a very different team in the second half.
We need a coach that can make IN-GAME adjustments at an ELITE level. A coach that can make adjustments before the damage is done. Getting down big vs ranked teams has been an issue for Kellie her entire career at TN.

Game slippage in general is a major issue for her.

Two plays typified this game, one early, one late. First was tip off where Jewel fell asleep. Last one was when Rivers stuffed Tess. That about says it all.

It's not about coaching, it's about players. Harper is a decent enough coach, she's just not a good recruiter. It's also not new, we've said this all year. Our margin for error was razor thin all year and when Jewel and Sara both have bad games, we have almost no chance. And both had the worst games they've had in a long time today. And when Tess contributes, esp against elite competition, it's a bonus. Didn't happen today.

Poor JP, we knew she was against bumping against her ceiling with the heavy load she had to carry. She is not selfish or stupid or a ball hog. She's a good but not great pg who looks bad when her options are taken away.

None of what happened today or before has the slightest bit to do with "not deciding to play" "not holding accountable", etc. That's stupid stuff fans say. It has to do with simply not having enough elite players. We have/had(hate typing that) exactly ONE. And she is/was so very elite she was almost able to carry the whole team on her back today, and many other days.

What an absolute pleasure to get to watch Rickea play these last two years. She's special, one of the best we've had in the last 20 years, and unfortunately, probably the best we will have in the foreseeable future. So glad to see her go out in an absolute blaze of glory today, sort of bookending her awesome game at Florida St early this season.

This season does feel like a step back and next season feels like the edge of the cliff. KJH will be back, unless she resigns, but without a huge portal haul, it's going to be rougher than rough. She just has to find a way to get 2 or 3 more truly elite players, and that's a very tall task. Whether it's NIL or what, she has to get it worked out. We'll see.
I think if a few elite players enter the portal we will get someone, we have open spots for players like that. Most of the top teams have elite players already, so they might come here so they can shine.

VN Store

Back