Game Thread Lady Vols vs Texas

And they are only Freshman. Winning big games like this as freshman, breaking Texas 3 games winning streak.

Green, and Russell, combo on the court is going to be nice.

We're back.

Reactions: 1 person
Well I hope all Lady Vol fans will get behind this team. They are not going to be perfect you will never be with freshmen playing a huge role. One thing you can bet on they will fight to the end as hard as they can and that is all you can ask for.
I really appreciate the way they play hard and I can accept some of the mistakes as learning to play at this level.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd have thought the Lady Vols would have lost with 18 TO's

True story! The turnovers came late (and probably a little too late). Someone made an awesome coaching move after 2 turnovers in using Russell as a release valve. I think TX is a good team and getting Holmes back she will slide into that 4 spot and give them a boost! I also think they win the BIG XII... 3/4 TX freshman were recruited by the LV ( Patterson, Boothe, and Littleton) I wonder what they think about all the playing time and freedom or freshman are getting ? I saw Boothe play against GA and she made some good plays but could barely get up and down the floor. I wonder if an injury has slowed her conditioning down? Littleton struggled to loceuonand down the floor too but she has also had injury problems.

Reactions: 2 people
Frozen, get what your saying, truly do, but this team has some young players that we’re really tested today, and still hung tough. Always room for improvement. Guess it was more for me about Pat being happy for Holly and the team for accomplishing beating a #2 ranked Texas team, no matter how sloppy ,they hung tough and got the win! I️ don’t think Pat would be to sad about that! Just my thoughts , that’s all!

Frozen, get what your saying, truly do, but this team has some young players that we’re really tested today, and still hung tough. Always room for improvement. Guess it was more for me about Pat being happy for Holly and the team for accomplishing beating a #2 ranked Texas team, no matter how sloppy ,they hung tough and got the win! I️ don’t think Pat would be to sad about that! Just my thoughts , that’s all!

Definetly wouldn’t be happy with the sloppy play but would be happy with the win. Best of all she would put on a sly smile knowing this team can get better!

Definetly wouldn’t be happy with the sloppy play but would be happy with the win. Best of all she would put on a sly smile knowing this team can get better!

Holly did say in the post-game show she'd give the team a grade of about 75 today. 100 for effort, but have to cut down on turnovers, shoot better, continue to improve on defense.

I agree with a lot of that...the team gave great effort and played tough especially down the stretch and with a lot of freshmen on the floor. I'm sure Pat would be happy with those things but not with the overall level of play. Both teams were very sloppy and a lot of that was due to the inexplicable calls being injected into the game by the officials every 3 seconds, or not.

Was watching 2nd half in a restaurant. On the dbl tech Texas committed a line violation on the in bounds before the foul calls. Did anyone explain how they then got possession? Back court ref called the violation.

Well I hope all Lady Vol fans will get behind this team. They are not going to be perfect you will never be with freshmen playing a huge role. One thing you can bet on they will fight to the end as hard as they can and that is all you can ask for.
I really appreciate the way they play hard and I can accept some of the mistakes as learning to play at this level.

Westbrook plays with a lot of composure. She is hands down the best guard Tennessee's had since Hornbuckle.

Was watching 2nd half in a restaurant. On the dbl tech Texas committed a line violation on the in bounds before the foul calls. Did anyone explain how they then got possession? Back court ref called the violation.

Many questionable calls, very little in the way of explanation. Refs are very lucky this was a win or they'd be hearing a lot more.

She'll be better than Hornbuckle very soon.

I wouldn't be surprised. She's already a great defensive player, but seems to be a better passer than Lex ever was. Today she showed she can be a scorer. If she continues to look for her shot, she could be one of the best guards to play for the program. She's got such a complete game.

I have a question... has anyone seen SCSPUR?!? They said they would make sure they came back to visit Sunday (I think they were implying that was when we lost)?!?

SCCCCCSPURRR where art thou’? We miss you oh sooooo much and you promised you would visit... 😞😞😞

We didn’t lose like you may have wanted but you promised you’d visit! 😉

I am asking all posters to put up the SCSPUR signal... if you don’t know it here it is

🐔🍗🤮

Please remain humble VA Vol.... I'm here to congratulate you all on a hard fought victory but you guys still have tough games to be played.

Reactions: 4 people
Please remain humble VA Vol.... I'm here to congratulate you all on a hard fought victory but you guys still have tough games to be played.

Oh trust me I am humble but just like you felt you needed to defend your team and Wilson I am doing the same! This win was good for their confidence but I have stated many times this win doesn’t define us whether we won or lost. However, I will give you props for coming back to congratulate Lady Vol nation. We have lots of tough games ahead but believe you me we will embrace our team no matter the outcome as long as they play with heart 😁. I’m even going to like your post! PLUS Dawn showed a lot of class in congratulating the LV she has SEC pride and I truly believe she was happy for the LV to win...

Reactions: 6 people
Exactly! They were for sure that we didn't have a chance and just know they would boast! Somewhere they are wishing they didn't say that and are truly worried about our match up in January!

LMAO!!! Well for starters I would like to congratulate you all on a hard fought win and I must say I was wrong on my prediction. But I'm far from worried SC is 2x better then Texas and we don't have 10 McDAA on our Roster. You guys had twice more TOs then assist, if that happens agaisnt SC you can consider it Game Over. Also Texas bigs are null and void. Wilson and Jennings are tens times better even on their worst day! Enjoy the win but don't get too Cocky.... that's our thing :)

Oh trust me I am humble but just like you felt you needed to defend your team and Wilson I am doing the same! This win was good for their confidence but I have stated many times this win doesn’t define us whether we won or lost. However, I will give you props for coming back to congratulate Lady Vol nation. We have lots of tough games ahead but believe you me we will embrace our team no matter the outcome as long as they play with heart 😁. I’m even going to like your post! PLUS Dawn showed a lot of class in congratulating the LV she has SEC pride and I truly believe she was happy for the LV to win...

Absolutely! like I said I'm all class yeah I talk smack here or there but I know when I'm wrong and when congratualations are due!

LMAO!!! Well for starters I would like to congratulate you all on a hard fought win and I must say I was wrong on my prediction. But I'm far from worried SC is 2x better then Texas and we don't have 10 McDAA on our Roster. You guys had twice more TOs then assist, if that happens agaisnt SC you can consider it Game Over. Also Texas bigs are null and void. Wilson and Jennings are tens times better even on their worst day! Enjoy the win but don't get too Cocky.... that's our thing :)

If only SC has anyone to score against Tennessee besides Wilson. My guess is that Jennings won't be getting many easy looks. If Tennessee can shut down McCarty, you think anyone's afraid of Harris?

I'm not underestimating SC, but don't think for a minute that the matchups favor you. Plus, you have no depth.

If only SC has anyone to score against Tennessee besides Wilson. My guess is that Jennings won't be getting many easy looks. If Tennessee can shut down McCarty, you think anyone's afraid of Harris?

I'm not underestimating SC, but don't think for a minute that the matchups favor you. Plus, you have no depth.

Facts!

I was reading that post like “are they for real”?????

The possessions we lost on Ref calls cannot be ignored. Some were so obvious that it seemed that they were doing it on purpose especially that male Ref with the black hair. I have to think he is from Texas.

I think they scored 6 points off of possessions resulting from being awarded the ball when it was out on them. White and Higgs had 4 missed travel calls that resulted in baskets. We had one.

Texas looked like crap because we played great defense and Holly had two players going back in transition at all times to limit their transition game (which is their strength). That's good coaching. Easy decision but deserves credit for getting the team to stay disciplined in that game plan. We made them play uncomfortable.

Westbrook was outstanding on McCarty. Nobody gets by her easily, if at all.

Russell was outstanding. Nared was outstanding. Great Senior leadership. They didn't have their best games offensively in terms of efficiency but did a lot of the dirty work on both ends. They, along with Green, kept a lot of plays alive at the end.

Green was my POY because of what she brought off the bench... NO DROP OFF. London can rebound anything.

Higgs was kept in check and forced into bad plays constantly. That's great defense, both on ball and help side.

Our offense obviously has room for monumental improvement. That's not surprising consider Tennessee doesn't have the most fluid system. But lets remember that the coaching staff has limited the amount of offensive schemes to help keep the froshies heads above water. They will continue to add and grow on that end. Movement is our biggest weakness.

We did not give up a ton of offensive rebounds. Against Texas that is huge.

Lots of positives to take away from an ugly game along with a fair share of negatives. Both teams need to/will get better.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back