Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Tenn. State

Glad Saunders got to play some tonight didn't play to bad. She catches the ball fairly well. She can't get two inches off the ground but she knows how to make a layup.

Saunders played well and yes She can't get two inches off the ground but it`s ok the ball go`s in the basket. Because of her knee Lou Brown is the same way when she shoots.

Saunders played well and yes She can't get two inches off the ground but it`s ok the ball go`s in the basket. Because of her knee Lou Brown is the same way when she shoots.

Not a whole of hops in our post set. KK does not leave the ground. Saunders at least tries to elevate but there is not space between her shoes and the floor.

Key is not a leaper either. She is a bit better than KK and Saunders. I hope our young post can improve on that aspect of their game or missed bunnies will continue to be a problem.

Orange all the time. The more Orange the better.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
mad, is there a stat sheet that shows how many missed bunnies a team misses? I've looked, but can't find one.

In the heat of the game, a layup is not the same as in practice, but some of our girl's were hitting the bottom of the rim and not even the backboard.....This will get us beat against better teams.

The little Aussie girl is having a terrible time with the 3 ball.....She appears to not want to shoot the ball (don't blame her) but unless she makes a few 3's during a game, she will not be much of an offensive use to the team.

As nice a good as we played against ND Monday night, we played almost a 180 degree uglier game last night.

This team needs some serious practice time to work on a lot of things....

Reactions: Chippo
mad, is there a stat sheet that shows how many missed bunnies a team misses? I've looked, but can't find one.

In the heat of the game, a layup is not the same as in practice, but some of our girl's were hitting the bottom of the rim and not even the backboard.....This will get us beat against better teams.

The little Aussie girl is having a terrible time with the 3 ball.....She appears to not want to shoot the ball (don't blame her) but unless she makes a few 3's during a game, she will not be much of an offensive use to the team.

As nice a good as we played against ND Monday night, we played almost a 180 degree uglier game last night.

This team needs some serious practice time to work on a lot of things....

As far as I know, the missed bunnies just get collapsed in the FGM vs. FGA stat.

I totally concur that our post will need to finish better against better teams. Hopefully, we will see some improvement as the season goes on.

Rennie (the aussie freshman), she looks more athletic than Sydney Smallbone but I am not convinced she is a D1 caliber player. At minimum, she is a project player who will need a lot of off season work.

I don't think she will see the floor a whole lot when the LVs are matched up against better teams.

As far as I know, the missed bunnies just get collapsed in the FGM vs. FGA stat.

I totally concur that our post will need to finish better against better teams. Hopefully, we will see some improvement as the season goes on.

Rennie (the aussie freshman), she looks more athletic than Sydney Smallbone but I am not convinced she is a D1 caliber player. At minimum, she is a project player who will need a lot of off season work.

I don't think she will see the floor a whole lot when the LVs are matched up against better teams.

12 missed layups:
KK 4
Rae 2
Key 2
Davis 1
Jazmine 1
Lou 1
Jordan 1

Can't say they're all bunnies,,but there is a hare or two amongst these

Not a whole of hops in our post set. KK does not leave the ground. Saunders at least tries to elevate but there is not space between her shoes and the floor.

Key is not a leaper either. She is a bit better than KK and Saunders. I hope our young post can improve on that aspect of their game or missed bunnies will continue to be a problem.

Key can leap remember had a knee problem her Jr and Sr year in HS. And to note she hurt it last night a little on a rebound. But it`s all good i think Key and Saunders will be a force next year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Key can leap remember had a knee problem her Jr and Sr year in HS. And to note she hurt it last night a little on a rebound. But it`s all good i think Key and Saunders will be a force next year.

I saw that play. The TSU player backed into her and it looked like she hyper extended her knee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Maniac
im just glad the right decision was made to get a new coach and move in the right direction

Post game quote from Lou, and really nice to hear.

On the culture and environment at UT:

"Right now, all I can say is that we have a good team, and we love our coaches. It's a good environment for us. That's what our purpose is, and that's what we're worried about now. We're worried about what's going on this year. We're all happy to be here and to be apart of this program. I think that's going to show when we play. It'll also show that we have chemistry with our team and a good relationship with our coaches."

View attachment 238255

After opening with two of its first three games on the road, Tennessee takes up residence on Rocky Top for a six-game home stand. After facing TSU, the Lady Vols welcome Stetson (Nov. 19), Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Nov. 26), Air Force (Dec. 1), No. 22/15 Texas (Dec. 8) and Colorado State (Dec. 11) to The Summitt. The Air Force game is UT's Salute to Service game, while the Texas match-up is part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

The meeting with Tennessee State is the sixth between the programs, with the first occasion occurring in 1986 but the last three match-ups happening between 2013 and 2016. The Lady Vols hold a 5-0 advantage in the series.

Tennessee enters on the heels of a 74-63 road victory over No. 15/14 Notre Dame that was televised by ESPN2 on Monday night. UT had previously toppled ETSU and Central Arkansas.

The Lady Tigers, meanwhile, opened their season with an 83-65 home win vs. Wilberforce University last Friday night.

VolNation

Time to put on your thermals and get to a game.
Lets get out in force and back our new and improved Lady Vol Basketball team

Lady Vols 93 - TSU 48
I thought the Lady Vols played very well in the second half.

VN Store

Back