Game Thread Lady Vols vs Mississippi State

They were smart enough to pull her away from the basket. If you noticed she was almost always at the elbow when the shot went up.
It's a function of Tennessee's defensive philosophy. From what I have seen the past 3 years Tennessee switches and they just don't switch back. You could see Miss St. purposely setting screens to get the match ups they wanted because they knew Tennessee wouldn't switch back. McCowan rarely left the paint that's why she got 18 rebounds, 10 of them offensive. Any team can pull Russell from the paint by just screening.

It's a function of Tennessee's defensive philosophy. From what I have seen the past 3 years Tennessee switches and they just don't switch back. You could see Miss St. purposely setting screens to get the match ups they wanted because they knew Tennessee wouldn't switch back. McCowan rarely left the paint that's why she got 18 rebounds, 10 of them offensive. Any team can pull Russell from the paint by just screening.

I said earlier that I don't know why Tennesse switch everything, when they don't have to. That's why everytime Green is in she's always on the perimeter guarding guards.

I said earlier that I don't know why Tennesse switch everything, when they don't have to. That's why everytime Green is in she's always on the perimeter guarding guards.

Lazy coaching. Beats having to teach them how to communicate and fight over screens. Then she can wax poetically about how great they are as defensive players and that MR can defend guards on the perimeter 😒

I've been trying to figure that out for 3 years. My guess is that is what they are taught and that's what the staff feels most comfortable with.

I've been trying to figure that out for 3 years. My guess is that is what they are taught and that's what the staff feels most comfortable with.

As much as they've gotten beat by switching these last few years it would seem like a no brainier, especially when teams essentially play a four guard lineup.

It will be interesting to see how far the Lady Vols drop in this week's polls after beatdowns by Notre Dame and MSU.

Lazy coaching. Beats having to teach them how to communicate and fight over screens. Then she can wax poetically about how great they are as defensive players and that MR can defend guards on the perimeter 😒

There's no help side defense what so ever. You're right they really don't communicate on D .

It will be interesting to see how far the Lady Vols drop in this week's polls after beatdowns by Notre Dame and MSU.

I'm thinking 1 spot maybe 2. In the grand scheme they technically lost to teams that were ranked ahead of them anyway but the way they lost(both but double digits) might cause a drop of 2 pots. However, Oregon losing to Oregon St. a couple days ago could help them and Oregon and Oregon St. play again tonight. So I'm thinking if Oregon loses again tonight the LV stay right where they are.

Reactions: 1 person
Playing a very good team with a great scorer and a huge post. This is definitely a Final Four team Tennessee's up against. Tennessee's performance today will show them if they are ready to compete with teams in the Final Four.

Not ready and not even in the conversation.

The LVs probably won't fall out of the top 10 yet, even though the past two losses were blowouts. Miss St plays like a FF team, but the LVs weren't even in the game today. Great crowd, awful basketball.

Reactions: 3 people
one of the reasons we lost that ND game is because Mercedes Russell didn't get the ball enough. well this game she gets the ball and scores, but her teammates came up cold. lady vols are getting inconsistent. hope they can fix it, I thought they would have earlier today. disappointing

The LVs probably won't fall out of the top 10 yet, even though the past two losses were blowouts. Miss St plays like a FF team, but the LVs weren't even in the game today. Great crowd, awful basketball.

yep that's the problem. Lady Vols weren't in the game at all this game and didn't play hard. LVs weren't in the game against ND in the 2nd half either, because they got soft due to the big lead they had.
Warlick is struggling to get the team to play hard for 40minutes

Unfortunately after this 4 game stretch, which we all had highlighted on our calendar, it's pretty clear that this is the same Tennessee team we've been accustomed to under Holly and company.

I think many of us, myself included, had seen a handful of DIFFERENT (in a good way) aspects to the team early going that gave us new hope and new life. Specifically:

- The team actually beat the teams they were supposed to: Marquette, Wichita, and Kentucky. In the past, these games would make us hold our breath. Remember when unranked Penn State beat us last year 70-56?

- The team also a team they weren't supposed to beat: Texas.

- The team also went undefeated longer than any Holly team.

- The team beat bad teams by a LOT like they were supposed to unlike teams in past year. For example, last year we beat Troy 110-84. This year? 131-69. Scored 21 more points and held Troy to 15 fewer. May not sound like much but it got my attention because teams like UCONN and Baylor seem to destroy inferior competition and we just haven't been doing that lately.

- The team had a team franchise turnover low: 4 against Alabama State. That accomplishment really made me hopeful.

Despite that, now that we are into the meat of the season and facing teams with competent coaches and some with star players, we are back to the high turnovers, the inconsistency on offense, the inability to make adjustments, and the lack of leadership from both players and coaches.

I guess it's still possible that this stretch was the aberration, not the good points made earlier in the season, but until proven otherwise, I still feel like they're on the outside looking in.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm disappointed in the loss and in losing 3 of 4 during the toughest part of their schedule but I hope they move around that brick wall and right the ship for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately after this 4 game stretch, which we all had highlighted on our calendar, it's pretty clear that this is the same Tennessee team we've been accustomed to under Holly and company.

I think many of us, myself included, had seen a handful of DIFFERENT (in a good way) aspects to the team early going that gave us new hope and new life. Specifically:

- The team actually beat the teams they were supposed to: Marquette, Wichita, and Kentucky. In the past, these games would make us hold our breath. Remember when unranked Penn State beat us last year 70-56?

- The team also a team they weren't supposed to beat: Texas.

- The team also went undefeated longer than any Holly team.

- The team beat bad teams by a LOT like they were supposed to unlike teams in past year. For example, last year we beat Troy 110-84. This year? 131-69. Scored 21 more points and held Troy to 15 fewer. May not sound like much but it got my attention because teams like UCONN and Baylor seem to destroy inferior competition and we just haven't been doing that lately.

- The team had a team franchise turnover low: 4 against Alabama State. That accomplishment really made me hopeful.

Despite that, now that we are into the meat of the season and facing teams with competent coaches and some with star players, we are back to the high turnovers, the inconsistency on offense, the inability to make adjustments, and the lack of leadership from both players and coaches.

I guess it's still possible that this stretch was the aberration, not the good points made earlier in the season, but until proven otherwise, I still feel like they're on the outside looking in.

The good thing is the LadyVols get to play Ole Miss and LSU before their next really tough matchup. If they can beat the next 2, which they should, then they'll play Texas AM. Then we'll see if they learned from the OT loss or not, and we'll see how far from elite we've got to go.

I'm disappointed in the loss and in losing 3 of 4 during the toughest part of their schedule but I hope they move around that brick wall and right the ship for the rest of the season.

We've seen this movie before. We already know how it ends.

My not so expert opinion would have a starting lineup of MR, KD, MJ, JN, & RD until further notice. Play those two freshmen guards only in short spurts until they get their minds right. I think meme could handle pg duties. enough to get the ball to a shooter or the post.

No MORE Turnovers!

I'm curious to see how they respond as well. They actually did more or less what their Massey Ratings predicted in going 1-3 (though according to Massey, they should have won at TAMU and lost at USC). Going forward, Massey predicts them winning out. I'm not so sure, but so far, they've actually lived up to or exceeded those expectations.

I'm curious to see how they respond as well. They actually did more or less what their Massey Ratings predicted in going 1-3 (though according to Massey, they should have won at TAMU and lost at USC). Going forward, Massey predicts them winning out. I'm not so sure, but so far, they've actually lived up to or exceeded those expectations.

Their remaining tough games are LSU, Georgia, TAMU, Mizzou and SC. I doubt they win all of these. I can see them losing to Mizzou, Georgia and SC, and even again to AM. Really the only one where they should be a big favorite is LSU, but they've got some unpredictable guards who can really light it up.

They need to win out to send a message.

VN Store

Back