Game Thread Lady Vols vs. ETSU

I am excited about the Freshmen class....
They are already contributing and having an substantial effect on this team.
Jaz is a calming influence and a good defensive player with point guard skills. She is going to be a good player for us...

Zay has good offensive skills and when she learns to slow down and be smarter with the ball she will be hard to stop. She can get to the goal but just doesn’t know it yet! The light bulb has not come on yet! Decent on defense.

Collins is the Bull in the China shop player.. Aggressive to a fault! She can make that mid range shot and when she learns to score from 2 ft. She will be a real asset! Almost perfect as a free throw shooter and that allows her to be in the games late.... Needs better foot work to help her defense!

Rae..... She is the steal of this class ! Once the game slows down and she calms down ! Just WOW.... She can make the mid range shot and can make the three.... The only one who can score from the inside and decent foul shooter. Pretty good defense and at 6’2’ she will make a good wing or 4 player.

None of them are a top five player..... JMO
However, they all are top 20—25 type of players... And all will contribute for all of their four years . You cannot ask for much more out of a class! Don’t forget ..... these kids haven’t played ten games as of yet. They are only going to get better!!!!!! It is going to be enjoyable to watch them grow! JMO 🤔

This young team has a good bit of growing to do but they have the potential to take Tennessee back to the top of womne's college hoops. Lots of talen...skills need development.

Can Holly get it done? Time will tell...the talent is there.

Fulmer should fire Holly before we end losing 8-10 games in the SEC she isn't and will not get it done period.

Reactions: feathersax
This team will not lose 8 to 10 games. Max 6 at the end of the season.

Those six losses can be strewn out or grouped, but not at the end of the year.
At the end of the year, I want us to be peaking.

Right now we're developing leadership and character, on the court.
That is more important than 6-10 losses to me.
Last year leaders on the floor disappeared.
We can see them this year.

Now if we could solve that disappearing continuity thing Q2 - Q4

6 losses is one more than I project, but ok, even 7...IF we are learn something and are still hitting our peak at the right time.

6 losses is one more than I project, but ok, even 7...IF we are learn something and are still hitting our peak at the right time.

Are u kidding me?? if the loose 6 at the end of season that will be wonderful.. I think they'll loose more than 10 seriously, because when i look at all they teams that will improve come championship time, i don't think vols would be among the improve teams.

Any close game or a lose will always bring them out! Lol
Question how is this schedule going to help us down the road? Most of these wins would have happened regardless, just by this team's athletic ability and skills. How have they been prepared to face the sec? If you know going in that you are pry going to win unless there is a complete meltdown how is mental toughness developed? If you think that regardless of how many turnovers you commit, how many free throws you miss or how you play you are going to win-where is the insensitive to get better and learn from mistakes. I hope its there. It had better be. They probably learned more from their loss than all te orher wins over the cupcakes they have played. 9 and 1 looks good on paper and a coach's resume but does it mean anything if the competition is lacking?

Reactions: Momto2
That has been Holly’s teams for years. They play according to the opponent. The sec is down a bit this year but if you do not bring it you will lose.

Every team brings theira game against us. No matter we are still Tenn and that still matters better be ready. What concerns me is possible injury. Injury to meme or ew and we are toast. No grest history of this coaching staff developing second tier players.

I really like Collins she is not particularly good at anything but she is very active and energetic and plays hard. She is good for a putback or two and a few at the foul line. Green really needs to work on her shot shooting 34 percent from the field has taken 104 shots. That is way to may bad possessions and many of the shots have been bad decisions. She is an active defender not very good at rebounding or boxing out her player. I think she will eventually be a star player because she is very athletic needs a lot of improvement on her basketball skills. Rae just seems to be a little uncoordinated seems she grew tall quicker than her body adjusted. She has a great looking shot that hasn't been falling hopefully it will all even out and she will get a streak going. Even as a freshman she is the third best rebounder on the team. She will be a star player by at least her junior year. Have been a little surprised by Massengill's play. Her shooting has been terrible was a star in high school could get to the basket and score. She could also hit the three she has done neither very well thus far this season. She is a solid rebounder and may be the best defender on the team even as a freshman. I am waiting for her to get it together would really give the team a big boost. Because she is so reliable with the ball and looks to involve other players I would make her the fifth starter over Green. She doesn't make many mistakes that hurt you and is a much better defensive player than Green.

Fulmer should fire Holly before we end losing 8-10 games in the SEC she isn't and will not get it done period.

Please feel free to name, in this thread, the 8-10 teams that you feel like, that's in the SEC women's division, good enough to beat the TN Lady Vols & for them to lose 8-10 times. Go ahead, I'll wait for your answer.
Maybe to Miss St. but that's just one. Gamecocks aren't all that hot anymore. Maybe an off night for TN girls where they struggle w/a team but not losing a game. All the other games played in the SEC will be played close but NO losses. Go ahead & name those 8-10 teams that are in the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever

I meant 6 losses total. We have 1 now, probably loose to NOTRE DAME, MISSISSIPPI STATE and MISSISSIPPI STATE again in the SEC tournament and one more in the NCAA tournament, for a total of 5 and may play some team that gets hot. But no more then 6 loses.

Please feel free to name, in this thread, the 8-10 teams that you feel like, that's in the SEC women's division, good enough to beat the TN Lady Vols & for them to lose 8-10 times. Go ahead, I'll wait for your answer.
Maybe to Miss St. but that's just one. Gamecocks aren't all that hot anymore. Maybe an off night for TN girls where they struggle w/a team but not losing a game. All the other games played in the SEC will be played close but NO losses. Go ahead & name those 8-10 teams that are in the SEC.

There are always a couple/several teams that we have not shown up for in recent years.... teams that you would on paper not handicap a loss in the column.... Virginia Tech, Penn State, Alabama, Mississippi come to mind, though the details may be off a bit.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
There are always a couple/several teams that we have not shown up for in recent years.... teams that you would on paper not handicap a loss in the column.... Virginia Tech, Penn State, Alabama, Mississippi come to mind, though the details may be off a bit.

Thanks & try again. I'm talking about who are in the Women's SEC that would beat our Lady Vols this year. Post #79 VFL17 said we'd lose 8-10 games in the SEC this year if Fulmer didn't fire Holly. I asked that poster to NAME those 8-10 teams to do just that is all I asked. I'm Not talking about other teams in the country.
I want to know what 8-10 teams in the SEC that's good enough to beat the Lady Vols this year.

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
After 10 games the best freshman play has come from Mimi Collins who has an eff of 16.59. The best EFF on the team is Westbrook 22.64, C Green is next 22.26, and then Davis 21.97. All these ratings would be C ratings with Collins barely over a D. McCowan of Miss St is the highest rated player of the top ten ranked teams with a 44.15 every 40 minutes played. Going into SEC play we'll have to get advanced play from Davis and Westbrook will have to maintain the around 30 she has been playing at in four of the last 5 games. We need to find more opportunities for Green has really been underused. Zaay Green has been overused 34 percent from the field on 104 shots. 12.67 eff.
As for our record if we continue playing the way we've played in the first ten games I can see at least 5 conference losses. Against competition worth mentioning we are 2 and 1. SEC teams we play on the road are Miss St, Auburn, Texas A&M, Georgia, Missouri and Alabama. This is six road games we could lose the majority of or win the majority of or split down the middle. Kentucky, SC, and Missouri at home will be battles as well. I don't know how it will go but at the level were playing now where we need a super game out of MeMe to beat ETSU by 19 plus weak wins over other low ranked teams not the level we need to be playing going into the conference. The competition is going to moving to a level far beyond anyone we've played other than Texas, Stanford, and maybe Clemson and Oklahoma State.
The reason not to be optimistic about conference play at this point is the weak play we have gotten from this freshman class this season. They are a combined 85 of 244 from the field for 35 percent this want win in the SEC. This is far below the help that Russell, Nared, and Jackson got from last years freshman class which are our sophomores this season.
The hope is that these freshmen will pick up their games and C. Green and KK will become the post presence we are missing this season. C. Green is doing most of her work on offensive putbacks not many plays being called for her in games occasionally Evina will hit her with a pass for an easy score.
Davis must raise her game dramatically, Evina keep playing at a high level, and C. Green become more of a factor. All this plus the freshmen must have better play coming off the bench.
So I see us going 11 and 5 in the conference right now and overall for the season something like 22 and 7. SEC tourney hopefully a couple wins to 24 and 8 going into the NCAA hopefully win two there 26 and 9 for the season.
This could all change if some players finally get it and we suddenly start playing at a much higher level. Right now don't see us doing better than 11 and 5 in the conference even though at the beginning of the season thought we would be 14 and 2. The play that I've seen is well below what I expected.

VN Store

Back