Game Thread Lady Vols vs Chattanooga

I never said we don't have things to work on. My point is a W is a Win, SC barely beat UCLA yesterday and several ranked teams have lost this year. Look at Louisville, teams need time to gel. I am glad to be undefeated. Keep in mind this is also their 4th game in 9 days, part of why Holly subbed. Plus she probably wants to see how different lineup work and don't.

These are all good points and I agree with them. But I can't help but think if Tennessee's five best players and Chattanooga's five best players all met on a play ground court at random somewhere one fine summer day without the team jersey's and without the coaching staffs - the Chattanooga five would get run off the play ground court by Tennessee's five.

Reactions: 1 person
Unfortunately I'll miss most maybe all of this game when it airs live, but the stats that I think will most likely lead to a win are:

- Turnovers ---> Less than or equal to 10 SHOULD mean a likely WIN. 17 or more will likely mean a close game or loss.

- Minutes ---> THESE players should have the most minutes: Graves, Russell, DeShields, Cooper, Carter, and Dunbar because they GENERALLY take care of the ball, can score, and play defense. If Jones, Moore, and Middleton get the lion share of minutes, then we likely are going to be back to that stagnate offense either turning it over or just not getting good production. What good is elite defense if you just go to the other end of the floor and turn it over or look clueless on offense? I'm lukewarm with Reynolds. She takes care of the ball. Average defense. But, she can't create her own shot or get a lot of assists. So ... hard to say.

TURNOVERS
I haven't seen the game but the box score says 19 turnovers and I suspect that had something to do with only a 2 point victory at home. The shooting from outside was still bad 3-18 16.7%.

MINUTES
More of the same and not how I'd prefer to see it distributed. At least Graves and Russell got the most minutes.

Player ---> MIN
Bashaara Graves F ---> 28
Mercedes Russell C ---> 27
Te'a Cooper G ---> 22
Diamond DeShields G ---> 21
Andraya Carter G ---> 17
Kortney Dunbar F ---> 10
TOTALS --->125 ---> 62.5%

Player ---> MIN
Jordan Reynolds G ---> 23
Jasmine Jones F ---> 19
Alexa Middleton G ---> 14
Meme Jackson G ---> 13
Nia Moore C ---> 6
TOTAL ---> 75 ---> 37.5%

Didn't see the game but got updates and we were whooping ass and won by 2. What happened?

UTC shot 44% from the field, 47% from three point. LV's shot 39% and 16%, respectively. Holly had bizarre substitution patterns which resulted in a 12 point second qtr, a 7 point third qtr, and a 14 point fourth qtr. After having a 23 point lead, the LV's barely held on for the win.

I've got at couple questions. First, why did the Lady Vols back off the press that worked so well in the first quarter and for most of the 2nd?? Why did Holly make so many substitutions and kill the momentum that they got from the first quarter?? Is she that hard up to play the bench? Does it not make sense to keep your foot on the pedal and not let up?

UTC shot 44% from the field, 47% from three point. LV's shot 39% and 16%, respectively. Holly had bizarre substitution patterns which resulted in a 12 point second qtr, a 7 point third qtr, and a 14 point fourth qtr. After having a 23 point lead, the LV's barely held on for the win.

So much for Holly's vaunted defense. For some reason teams smoke us from behind the line

Here is a quote posted tonight by a member of the ESPN.com staff:

"Tennessee continues to challenge itself w/ schedule and it's early in season, but offensive rhythm is still miles away."

I've got at couple questions. First, why did the Lady Vols back off the press that worked so well in the first quarter and for most of the 2nd?? Why did Holly make so many substitutions and kill the momentum that they got from the first quarter?? Is she that hard up to play the bench? Does it not make sense to keep your foot on the pedal and not let up?

I can't answer why Holly may have backed off the press, but, in general, a press doesn't bother a well coached team. Did you see how easily UTC started to score against it? Presses seldom work against well-drilled teams. That is why I am not in favor of them except as a surprise trap every so often.

As for the substitutions, I have no idea what she is doing. I prayed all during the pre-season that Holly would pick a starting 5 and play them to death to avoid this exact result. I know she has some injuries to deal with and it's still early so she can experiment a bit, but if she's still doing this when the team leaves for the west coast, I'll be scratching more than my head.

Here is a quote posted tonight by a member of the ESPN.com staff:

"Tennessee continues to challenge itself w/ schedule and it's early in season, but offensive rhythm is still miles away."

I saw that, but I thought what was even more telling was Lobo's reply.

"Offensive rhythm was there in first game when they only had six players. Fun challenge for Holly."

If Holly wants to do this crazy sub thing, why not have a short rotation of say 7 and then when they build up a big lead, let the rest play for most of the 4th quarter. Why give up momentum???

Teams would be crazy not to play zone against us, and Cooper is very likely to be far less effective against a zone than against man defense--we've seen that already, last 2-3 games.

We played 5 guards tonight. Here is their cumulative stat line;

Total minutes played (by 5 guards): 89 minutes
Total shots made: 6
Total shots attempted: 19
Cumulative shooting percentage by guards: 32.5 percent
Three point shots/attempted/percentage: 2 for 10 for 20 percent
Total assists: 5
Total turnovers: 8
Total steals: 9

Chattanooga isn't half as good as they were last season. Looks like the LadyVols will apply a beating tonight

The Mocs return nine players from last season including four starters. One, of whom, is their leading scorer and re-bounder. So, why are they worse this year?

Reactions: 2 people
The next game with Albany WILL NOT be a gimme. They are 4-0 so far, and remember they almost took Duke out last year in the opening round of the NCAA tourny...

Good crowd at the game again tonight. Didn't hear any complaining from anyone. It's early in the season folks. Good time to experiment with different sets and players on the floor. March is where it counts.

VN Store

Back