Game Thread Lady Vols vs Albany

No one is trying to get the best shot every possession, its always the first open shot. lol

Poor defense by Meme there... our players turn their body too much and give up one side completely.

What is it about an open shot you don't like? As opposed to a shot with 4 defenders hanging off you?

Russell has never attempted a shot with four or two players hanging on her or Graves for that matter.

What is it about an open shot you don't like? As opposed to a shot with 4 defenders hanging off you?

And if four players are hanging on russell or graves, there are mix matches and gaps all over the floor to attack, nope we settle for a three, a long range three... U make no sense.

We just aren't a good basketball team at all right now.

There isn't any excuse for how poorly this team is playing.

That is preferable to not getting a shot off at all, which is what happens when we try to force it inside.

At least the other team would have to defend, burn energy for an entire shot clock than rather defending for 5 to 10 seconds, each possession. Teams spend way more time on offense vs our defense, cos we quick shoot, turnover....

We spend most of the game playing defense, cos our guards are ....

Reactions: 1 person
And if four players are hanging on russell or graves, there are mix matches and gaps all over the floor to attack, nope we settle for a three, a long range three... U make no sense.

You didn't answer the question. What is it about an open shot you don't like?

As for the three...I want the team to be balanced and efficient offensively. That means inside and outside scoring from all over the court. Put pressure on the defense to guard you everywhere. Right now, nobody guards the LV's anywhere except in the paint. That won't change until somebody other than Graves and Russell begins to hit shots.

Just win I guess we haven't seen a turnover we don't like. Some are just plain stupid decisions.
Defense got weak while Russell was on the bench. 5 of 13 from the three.

They have a lot of talent, but 30-28 against Albany at the half is a little rough. Texas is going to roll in here on a mission Monday. I always felt Pat was a bit too defense and not enough offense, but I sure do miss seeing that mentality on defense today. Hope they pull it together.

Wonder if we can figure out how to get Mercedes some shots only two in this game. Graves has only one.

Ball movement is looking a little better this game. Its the turnovers that are killing us. The substitution plan is not that bad either right now maybe she's learned not to sub 3-4 ppl in at the same time.

We just aren't a good basketball team at all right now.

There isn't any excuse for how poorly this team is playing.

I agree but its still early. We are a talented team no less. Once we become a good basketball team, we'll be fine.

Keep playing hard Graves and Russell, please don't get frustrated cos you are playing with average guards,
more movement Graves and Russell, let's play off each other setting back screens and rolling to the basket.

At least the other team would have to defend, burn energy for an entire shot clock than rather defending for 5 to 10 seconds, each possession. Teams spend way more time on offense vs our defense, cos we quick shoot, turnover....

We spend most of the game playing defense, cos our guards are ....

I don't disagree with this. I don't like turnovers or quick shots either. I agree with you about the LV guards, they are...whatever...not very good. But I don't think the answer is to abandon any pretense of an outside game in favor of all the time throwing the ball into the interior which IMO will result in even more turnovers and more packing-the-paint by the opponent.

Well, that was an interesting half of basketball. Not sure if the coaching staff or the girls are stuffed with turkey like I am. They sure look lethargic, kinda like they don't want to be there! Someone needs to light a fire or this is gonna end up as a loss!

Now to rattle some of my "friends"...who did the best job coaching this half, Albany or Tennessee?

Here's the problem with the Lady Vols right now:

1. They don't know who they are as a team. Sometimes we press, sometimes we play zone, sometimes we play man to man, and all this adds up to we're not really great at anything.

2. Many of the players don't know who they are as players. The team lacks roleplayers. Middleton needs to understand that all she can do is shoot threes that's her only job. Jones needs to defend and rebound. Cooper needs to shoot and manage the offense. A lot of them play outside of their competencies.

It's on the coaches to correct this and provide direction and develop the players and team.

VN Store

Back