Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Alabama

on Tess her one on one defense is much improved but her talking on D and playing team D is what keeps her on the floor. Her ability not to be a liability on defense is her biggest improvement If it wasn't we'd be seeing other players with her minutes.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Tess has improved on D, but its her consistent 3 pt shooting that keeps her out there. What a luxury that we have both Puckett and Pissot who can shoot deep if Tess were to falter.

I'm very impressed with Puckett's cutting ability, as well as her ability to reel in tough passes on her cuts. She's missed a couple of layups bc of those tough catches, but Sara seems to be open underneath just about everytime I look up.

The improvements by Darby, Puckett and Walker the last 5 or 6 games have been notable. And what's not to love about Jill? Obviously a little raw around the edges, but what great mobility.

When we get out of our own way, we are loaded ya'll!

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Tess is better on D, but it her consistent 3 pt shooting that keeps her out there. What a luxuary that we have both Puckett and Pissot who can shoot deep if Tess were to falter.

I'm very impressed with Puckett's cutting ability, as well as her ability to reel in tough passes on her cuts. She's missed a couple of layups bc of those tough catches, but Sara seems to be open underneath just about everytime I look up.

The improvements by Darby, Puckett and Walker the last 5 or 6 games have been notable. And what's not to love about Jill? Obviously a little raw around the edges, but what great mobility.

When we get out of our own way, we are loaded ya'll!

Oh yea we can agree to disagree on that because she was brought back in at the end of the game when we needed scores AND stops because they were on the move (not really in question but shows her importance).

What we can agree on is starting the SEC 2-0 feels great and the momentum from Stanford has carried over and YES we are loaded and fun to watch 🤩

We had a big offensive game today and shot better than 50 percent inside the arc, so it wasn't an issue, but we still don't make enough threes. Darby had 4 threes--all in the first half, I believe (or at least 3)--and they were the only treys we made in the game---4-14, 29 percent. This is going to be an issue down the road, IMO.

Hollingshead is developing, and that is very encouraging. She had a good game today, as did several players.

We are actually a better offensive team without Key in the lineup--and frankly might just be a better team overall.

Reactions: Raebo
@glv98
Wasn’t a diss, JH can’t be expected to play at a high level every game same for RJ. Perks of having both is points, if one’s down the other picks it up….add a game like Tess today and helps JH having an off day. JH and RJ both have off days it won’t end well more than likely.

Last edited:
What are you even talking about? Nothing i said has anything to do with Horston it actually had to do with your 💩 take that Kellie has a personal vendetta against Rickea.

So... NO. It doesn't take more than a fist bump to see they are getting along better or are even good.

Now Jordan didn't score well but she stuffed the stat sheets considering there were 3 other people in double figures besides rickea that means we r playing team ball and could withstand when one of our stars is having an off night.

In bigger games let's hope that doesn't happen but if it does hopefully this will give the other players confidence...
Not sure understood the message. It wasn’t a jab at JH she’s allowed to have an off day….but more RJ filling the void of her having an off day. Plus Tess having a day. But again, until she starts it’s personal a fist bump won’t change that. We have starters as bench and bench as starters.

Last edited:
[QUOTE/]Wasn’t a diss, JH can’t be expected to play at a high level every game same for RJ. Perks of having both is points, if one’s down the other picks it up….add a game like Tess today and helps JH having an off day. JH and RJ both have off days it won’t end well more than likely.[/QUOTE]

My objection is calling what JH did today an "off" game. In fact, we should expect to see this alot - Rickea scoring alot, with JH doing the all around work in other areas and chipping in timely baskets. Kudos to JH for embracing this role. There will be games where circumstances dictate JH score more, but its her across the board contributions that will mean the most. This is why having RJ is so, so important, it frees JH to be the blue collar workhorse.

Not sure understood the message. It wasn’t a jab at JH she’s allowed to have an off day….but more RJ filling the void of her having an off day. Plus Tess having a day. But again, until she starts it’s personal a fist bump won’t change that.
….whew. RJ is getting her minutes. Why continue to repeatedly invest in a narrative that is crumbling to ashes in the sun light?

[QUOTE/]Wasn’t a diss, JH can’t be expected to play at a high level every game same for RJ. Perks of having both is points, if one’s down the other picks it up….add a game like Tess today and helps JH having an off day. JH and RJ both have off days it won’t end well more than likely.
My objection is calling what JH did today an "off" game. In fact, we should expect to see this alot - Rickea scoring alot, with JH doing the all around work in other areas and chipping in timely baskets. Kudos to JH for embracing this role. There will be games where circumstances dictate JH score more, but it’s her across the board contributions that will mean the most. This is why having RJ is so, so important, it frees JH to be the blue collar workhorse.[/QUOTE]

Woo! That formatting is a mess up in there… 😉

It’s not a knock on Tamari. I love her game and wouldn’t wish what she’s dealing with on my worst enemy. I wish her the speediest recovery. If anything, it’s a knock on the system she was playing in. But of course, people on this board aren’t nuanced enough to grasp that.
Well you are right on one thing. Your initial post did not have the context you provided here.
We all love TK and look forward to her return to health and playing with her team. LVFL!!!!

Walker doesn't often get a lot of love on this board, but she had a solid game. Loved seeing her calmly knocking down all those free throws. Played under control.

Jill is like a panther prowling the lane on defense. Bodies up well and uses her length. Really aggressive offense and crashing the boards. And a beautiful assist to find an open Tess. Catchings was impressed by her progress.

Tess has invested in creating her shot simply with a hesitation or side step. Cost her one made three, but she's learning and working.

@glv98
Wasn’t a diss, JH can’t be expected to play at a high level every game same for RJ. Perks of having both is points, if one’s down the other picks it up….add a game like Tess today and helps JH having an off day. JH and RJ both have off days it won’t end well more than likely.

join your clan oldandslow and darth
they're not here
you won't be missed either

Absolutely, she should be getting minutes but to claim (suggest) that because she is not starting represents some rift between her and the staff has become beyond passé .
It’s never passé in sports to sit your best player. Starting pitchers start, closers close. She’s having a season at this point on par with Holdclaw, Tameka and Parker…those teams were more talented and never came off the bench.

Walker doesn't often get a lot of love on this board, but she had a solid game. Loved seeing her calmly knocking down all those free throws. Played under control.

Jill is like a panther prowling the lane on defense. Bodies up well and uses her length. Really aggressive offense and crashing the boards. And a beautiful assist to find an open Tess. Catchings was impressed by her progress.

Tess has invested in creating her shot simply with a hesitation or side step. Cost her one made three, but she's learning and working.
She needs to hook up with Harden to perfect that side step jumper, then Kellie needs to warn the refs. It took nba refs a year to decide it wasn’t a walk.

Reactions: creekdipper
Not sure understood the message. It wasn’t a jab at JH she’s allowed to have an off day….but more RJ filling the void of her having an off day. Plus Tess having a day. But again, until she starts it’s personal a fist bump won’t change that. We have starters as bench and bench as starters.

Work for TMZ or another blog? I guess it's good when "fans" drum up "drama" during wins...

Gotta subscription we can sign up for ?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

😁

It’s never passé in sports to sit your best player. Starting pitchers start, closers close. She’s having a season at this point on par with Holdclaw, Tameka and Parker…those teams were more talented and never came off the bench.
indirectly you just complimented Coach K in that she can do this without missing a beat
thanks

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Fourth quarter sloppiness looked totally like a mental loss of focus. Trying to force passes, run against numbers, and just letting guards drive by with little effort to stay with them...just letting up as though it's garbage time and game is over. We could have used those possessions on our end to work on ball movement and cutting for open baskets while we burned clock. Don't have to go four corners, but running a half court offense the way we had been executing would achieve the same thing and create easy looks when opponent is down big and having to gamble. Coaches shouldn't have to call time out to remind players that we have a big lead and don't need to be forcing the issue. There's the practice fodder needed.

We had a big offensive game today and shot better than 50 percent inside the arc, so it wasn't an issue, but we still don't make enough threes. Darby had 4 threes--all in the first half, I believe (or at least 3)--and they were the only treys we made in the game---4-14, 29 percent. This is going to be an issue down the road, IMO.

Hollingshead is developing, and that is very encouraging. She had a good game today, as did several players.

We are actually a better offensive team without Key in the lineup--and frankly might just be a better team overall.
You can always be counted on for this sort of post. Can I find something to snark about? Can I sew discord?

VN Store

Back