Game thread: Lady VOls v Wofford

The Ohio State game and current games are not the same. You’re comparing the first game of the season to now. This starting group has been playing well as of late. Defense, Rebounds, ball movement, and turnovers have all been much improved since the Ohio State game. Last night the starting group had 13 assist to 4 t.o.. Rikea got just as many minutes as the starters and will eventually be back in the starting lineup but for now it’s working. Against Florida, she may be back in the starting lineup but if not I still expect her to get just as many minutes if not more than a few of the starters. The current starting group is very fundamentally sound and all played together last season so their roles are very clear. Very seldom do you see them trying to do more than what they are good at.
It is interesting that right now none of the transfers are starting.

I'm aware that "starting" for KJH is not the same as for other coaches. Also that Rickea, and Powell, eventually get the most minutes, as they should.

But IMO, for RJ, it's different. She was publically punished by removal from games, then from the starting lineup. She needs to start again to complete the arc, show she's paid her dues and is restored. As long as she doesn't start it looks like continued punishment. Rickea is so far and away the most talented player in the gym (most games) that not starting her can only be explained by punishment.

I get the whole "those that practice hard get rewarded" stuff, but does in-game performance deserve reward as well? For years the LVs problem has been the inability to translate practice and game plan into actual execution on the court. If we have players who can actually do that, doesn't that count for anything?

Re Powell, we need to be looking at the future. Walker is in her final season, covid yr used. If she and Powell are even close, and I believe Powell is comfortably ahead, Powell should be playing. Developing Powell and Hollingshead is vital to avoiding a big fall off next season.

Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett, Committe at 5 depending on matchup and effectiveness.

Last edited:
I'm aware that "starting" for KJH is not the same as for other coaches. Also that Rickea, and Powell, eventually get the most minutes, as they should.

But IMO, for RJ, it's different. She was publically punished by removal from games, then from the starting lineup. She needs to start again to complete the arc, show she's paid her dues and is restored. As long as she doesn't start it looks like continued punishment. Rickea is so far and away the most talented player in the gym (most games) that not starting her can only be explained by punishment.

I get the whole "those that practice hard get rewarded" stuff, but does in-game performance deserve reward as well? For years the LVs problem has been the inability to translate practice and game plan into actual execution on the court. If have players who can actually do that, doesn't that count for anything?

Re Powell, we need to be looking at the future. Walker is in her final season, covid yr used. If she and Powell are even close, and I believe Powell is comfortably ahead, Powell should be playing. Developing Powell and Hollingshead is vital to avoiding a big fall off next season.

Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett, Committe at 5 depending on matchup and effectiveness.
I'd be starting Jackson, Horston, Powell, Franklin and Puckett. I just like Puckett's overall game better than Darby's. I have to get 30 minutes per player out of most of that starting five with the other ten per position going to their backups.

I'd be starting Jackson, Horston, Powell, Franklin and Puckett. I just like Puckett's overall game better than Darby's. I have to get 30 minutes per player out of most of that starting five with the other ten per position going to their backups.
Not sure Franklin's knee has 30 mins per SEC game in it. Also, we need to develop Hollingshead and Striplin. For sure whoever among those 3 are playing (and ok, practicing) best gets the start. But I'm way more flexible with who starts at this position.

Agree, Tess has improved and is dependable, but Sara is better overall and IMO has a higher upside. Also is vital in future success. IMO, Powell, Hollingshead and Sara make up the core of the team next year. Unless JH and/or RJ decide to come back!!

Tennessee was a 26 point favorite won by 39. The over under total was 145 and total was 145 so no winners. Offensive rebounds, turnovers forced, and steals Tennessee had 36 to their 25 for a plus eleven for the game. We shot 81 percent from the line. Even for a team ranked 166 this was a terrific performance by Tennessee last night.

Yep, even with the weaker competition, this moved us up a couple spots in the Massey Ratings (to #30), Her Hoop Stats (to #13), the NET ratings (to #16), and RPI (to #38). The next six games are hugely important and give us opportunities to pick up five Q2 wins in the NET (at Florida, vs. Mississippi St., at Vanderbilt, at TAMU, and vs. Georgia) and our first Q1 win (vs. Alabama).

Except for CKH, I think there is a near universal consensus that Horston and jackson should be starting and playing almost the entire game against higher caliber competition. [This team is so short on scorers that holding your offensive force of nature out of the line-up until she rebounds more seems stubbornly old school. I keep "harping" on this but I she can give me twenty plus a game and give a good effort on defense, I am looking for some other players to crash the boards). But, the other three spots get interesting.

Powell is not playing well, She looked bright in the first few games but her shot has abandoned and she now over dribbles and kills the teams ball movement and offensive flow. Walker seems to have figured out that forcing shots is not good for her or the team. I think Powell has the potential to be the better PG but her dribble first habits are a detriment. She wants to be on the ball too much and untl that changes, I probably Brooklyn over her as the #2.

I think it is a toss-up between Franklin and Powell, Franklin is a force on the boards and is more polished in the post but at 6-1, she does not match-up well against bigger posts. In the end, I think she and Jillian are the too headed monster at post and it probably does not matter that much who starts or not. Striplin has the capacity to create match-up problems with her outside shooting. She has decent size as well. So, her as a starter kinda makes sense.

Puckett v. Tess. I think Sara is the better all round player. Now that her 3 shot is dropping, she can provide what Tess provides but Puckett seems most comfortable when she is playing low post and then floats outside on occasion. In contrast, Tess is comfortable out on the perimeter. I noticed against Wafford, that Justine;s movement off the ball is getting better, She had been kind of stagnant in other games but in this game, she was moving around the perimeter to get open and even posting up (that did not work out well in the game but I think she can get better down low).

So, on balance, I lean Puckett as the starter with Tess being the 6th man along with Marta depending on the game flow. Marta and Puckett have a similar game so that would work for a like for like switch. But I think Justine is coming for both Tess and Marta as the first choice sub.

So, my starting line-up (at this point in the season) would be Horston, Jackson, Walker Striplin, and Puckett. Then Darby, Franklin, Hollingshead, Suarez, and Powell/MIles as the main sub options.

SEC better = lots of minutes for Walker and Jackson. I agree she needs to start. I did like Kellie's Ist half strategy of having Jordan H. or Rickea on the floor. The team needs one of the them, at least, to have a focal point for the offense. If Kellie does want to use Rickea as a supersub, she needs to be the first player off the bench. It makes no sense for Marta to be ahead of her in the rotation. To make a decent run in the SEC, the LVs need to lean into their best players and that set unquestionably includes Jackson.
And Wynn shall be over Powell.
Rickea and Jordan can't co- exist on the court at the moment. It's not really strategic. Gelling is the keynote for all , like the Musketeers.

Except for CKH, I think there is a near universal consensus that Horston and jackson should be starting and playing almost the entire game against higher caliber competition. [This team is so short on scorers that holding your offensive force of nature out of the line-up until she rebounds more seems stubbornly old school. I keep "harping" on this but I she can give me twenty plus a game and give a good effort on defense, I am looking for some other players to crash the boards). But, the other three spots get interesting.

Powell is not playing well, She looked bright in the first few games but her shot has abandoned and she now over dribbles and kills the teams ball movement and offensive flow. Walker seems to have figured out that forcing shots is not good for her or the team. I think Powell has the potential to be the better PG but her dribble first habits are a detriment. She wants to be on the ball too much and untl that changes, I probably Brooklyn over her as the #2.

I think it is a toss-up between Franklin and Powell, Franklin is a force on the boards and is more polished in the post but at 6-1, she does not match-up well against bigger posts. In the end, I think she and Jillian are the too headed monster at post and it probably does not matter that much who starts or not. Striplin has the capacity to create match-up problems with her outside shooting. She has decent size as well. So, her as a starter kinda makes sense.

Puckett v. Tess. I think Sara is the better all round player. Now that her 3 shot is dropping, she can provide what Tess provides but Puckett seems most comfortable when she is playing low post and then floats outside on occasion. In contrast, Tess is comfortable out on the perimeter. I noticed against Wafford, that Justine;s movement off the ball is getting better, She had been kind of stagnant in other games but in this game, she was moving around the perimeter to get open and even posting up (that did not work out well in the game but I think she can get better down low).

So, on balance, I lean Puckett as the starter with Tess being the 6th man along with Marta depending on the game flow. Marta and Puckett have a similar game so that would work for a like for like switch. But I think Justine is coming for both Tess and Marta as the first choice sub.

So, my starting line-up (at this point in the season) would be Horston, Jackson, Walker Striplin, and Puckett. Then Darby, Franklin, Hollingshead, Suarez, and Powell/MIles as the main sub options.

Yes! I like that line-up.

For a while, I had Powell over Walker. But, for now, I have moved Walker back ahead for the PG position.

That starting line-up that we have been using has won every time out. Darby, Karo, Bucketts all know how to get out of way to keep Jordy do her thing at start of game. I would keep it intact for Florida.

But, at some point, Rickea may need to advance forward. For now, it is working as intended. She gives us energy off bench.

Agree with 99% of your post .I however, would only insert Marta in the last few minutes of a blowout.

Not sure Franklin's knee has 30 mins per SEC game in it. Also, we need to develop Hollingshead and Striplin. For sure whoever among those 3 are playing (and ok, practicing) best gets the start. But I'm way more flexible with who starts at this position.

Agree, Tess has improved and is dependable, but Sara is better overall and IMO has a higher upside. Also is vital in future success. IMO, Powell, Hollingshead and Sara make up the core of the team next year. Unless JH and/or RJ decide to come back!!
Don't Tess and Sara play different positions?

No one can really say the season is in shambles with so many games to play. Does the start look bad, without a doubt, but before we bury it 6 feet under, we need to see how the season plays out. To be successful, Jackson and Horston have to receive your major minutes, though Darby can give you some good minutes, and her defense has improved, she is still not a starter. Puckett has to be a big part of KJH’s major plan and there is little doubt that Powell is your better point guard. The post position is almost a wash between Striplin, Hollingshed and Franklin. Franklin is a warrior with a bad leg but she is a good undersized post. Striplin is a big strong post who is not afraid to be physical and she has offensive capabilities. I believe that Hollingshed has a lot of upsides that just needs to be developed.

I know Powell hasn't shot the ball at a high percentage recently but history says that will improve dramatically. I am somewhat shocked that more than one poster thinks Walker should play more than Powell. That is somewhat unfathomable to me. Powell is much better at every facet of the game offensively and defensive abilities are practically a push.

1672256353964.png

Who's better?
Shooting Powell (Walker shoots FTs like Shaq!)
Passing Powell (70% better assist to TO ratio)
Overall Offensive Rating Powell (by 16 points)
Rebounding Push (Powell is slightly better on rebounds/minute but it's very close)
Defense Push (Walker has a few more steals but commits a lot more fouls)
Overall Offensive Rating Walker (by 3 points)

Finally, how does the team do when each is playing? I can't find full season +/- stats anywhere but the Stanford game was shocking:
In Walker's 24 minutes, her plus/minus was -18 which means we won by 11 when she was on the bench. Well, what was Powell's plus/minus you might ask? It was +11 in 16 minutes played.

IMO Walker and Miles should play 0 minutes.

Attachments

• 1672256564065.png
    1672256564065.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I didn't get to watch the game but loved it when I checked my phone at work and saw up big early. I know Wofford isn't very good, but that's 4 30 plus points wins with 2 close games against Vtech and Stanford in the last 6 games. UT is definitely improving and excited to see how UT responds with 2 SEC games later this week.
you said you were at work . anybody wants to watch most of the plays theres 22 mins highlight on youtube.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Don't Tess and Sara play different positions?
tess keeps improving show way she was top 70 sofhmore in high school scouts lists. before injury. sara has got over sofhmore and then some. marta is playing with a good foot not so her first two years she still earn all sec honors. karoline has earn equall time at center. playing two 35 mins a game might rise wnba draft of two players does not help overall team getting better. look how much karoline improve just playing more since va tect. wonder how good she would been if she got time freshmen year. maybe sec and ncaa some should get more time not noow when you have ten players who are playing good. besides who knows which player might be lost for the season or be be like rae not 100% kellie way is best unless you know the future

VN Store

Back