Game Thread Lady Vols Softball in the Eagle Round Robin

Geer misplayed it although it was hard hit

After thinking about this I want to make it clear that the ball was uncatchable. It was several feet over Geer's head and landed about halfway up the fence, she had no chance of catching it based on where she was playing which was a fairly normal position in shallow right field. When I said she miss played it, she started in towards the ball as soon as it was hit then she realized it was going to be over her head and turned and headed toward the fence but took the wrong angle and ended up having to zigzag to get to the ball. She had no chance to catch the ball, but initially she missed played it because she didn't know where it was going.

I don't understand why Ralph didn't play Rowland at first today. Let's see what she's got. We know what Vines gives us. Rowland was a top recruit. These early season games are when you take a good look at your depth. Instead, the coaches have started the same group every game against cupcake opponents. Curious.

I don't understand why Ralph didn't play Rowland at first today. Let's see what she's got. We know what Vines gives us. Rowland was a top recruit. These early season games are when you take a good look at your depth. Instead, the coaches have started the same group every game against cupcake opponents. Curious.

To develop consistency took a lot longer last year than they had liked...look for the home tourney in 3 weeks to see some of the other girls

To develop consistency took a lot longer last year than they had liked...look for the home tourney in 3 weeks to see some of the other girls

One of the good signs today was the two double plays they turned. Leach and Gregg are working well together at 2nd and short.

One of the good signs today was the two double plays they turned. Leach and Gregg are working well together at 2nd and short.

Jeff as you know that is two of the four needed to be strong up the middle. I am sure it will work itself out but I suspect if Lockman can hit and McSwain stays hot we will have Lockman catching and I would not even be surprised if Geer shows back in center. JMHO!!!

Jeff as you know that is two of the four needed to be strong up the middle. I am sure it will work itself out but I suspect if Lockman can hit and McSwain stays hot we will have Lockman catching and I would not even be surprised if Geer shows back in center. JMHO!!!

I don't think you will...they like the defense CJ has and remember Lewis couldn't hit very well either but they kept her in there for her defense...now you could see Seggern moved to the last spot and CJ to the 8 spot and have Chelsea flip the lineup over which she is capable of doing

I don't think you will...they like the defense CJ has and remember Lewis couldn't hit very well either but they kept her in there for her defense...now you could see Seggern moved to the last spot and CJ to the 8 spot and have Chelsea flip the lineup over which she is capable of doing

Like me you can have an opinion as well, however if CJ is a better defensive player than the AA hopeful Geer then someone is in for a surprise. I don't think CJ has played enough to anoint her as that good. Geer has played pretty well in CF for a couple of years now and if CJ has the best arm in the outfield, as many have indicated, then she needs to be in RF. I was not making any reference to any place hitting in the order but I really believe and hope that Seggern can work and stay where she is presently.

With the possible exception of one game, it looks like we have an explosive offense so far. Is it our bats or less than average opponent pitching?

McClain is a career .250 hitter so I wouldn't expect much more than that. She has one of the best arms I have seen on a softball player ever. If she was a better hitter she would be an all star easily. I think Ralph will do everything possible to keep her in the lineup because of her ability to gun down second base runners on hits to center field.

With the possible exception of one game, it looks like we have an explosive offense so far. Is it our bats or less than average opponent pitching?

Alex is correct, it's both. Here's the thing, the top half of the batting order is tearing the cover off the ball. The bottom half isn't doing very much at all. I'll post some stats later to illustrate this. I'm glad the top of the order is hitting as well as they are, but for this team to get to a world series the bottom half of the order is going to have to start hitting.

McClain, Seggern, Lockman--those three have to hit this year. This is why I thought it important to give Rowland some serious at bats. I believe she can play first, yes. If McClain doesn't hit, you can always move Vines back to the outfield and insert Rowland at first, or somebody else perhaps. The bottom half is always going to struggle some--that's why they are at the bottom of the lineup. If you are getting some production, it's OK; not everyone on the team is going to be hitting well at all times. You just don't want your bottom of lineup hitters ALL struggling.

Jeff: you didn't hear anything about Geathers at the tourney?

McClain, Seggern, Lockman--those three have to hit this year. This is why I thought it important to give Rowland some serious at bats. I believe she can play first, yes. If McClain doesn't hit, you can always move Vines back to the outfield and insert Rowland at first, or somebody else perhaps. The bottom half is always going to struggle some--that's why they are at the bottom of the lineup. If you are getting some production, it's OK; not everyone on the team is going to be hitting well at all times. You just don't want your bottom of lineup hitters ALL struggling.

Jeff: you didn't hear anything about Geathers at the tourney?

The coaches have plenty of options. Rowland or Lockman at first. Vines back to the outfield. Geer in center or right. For whatever reason, Ralph wants McClain in center and in the 9 spot. I believe the reasons are what was stated earlier. If she doesn't produce, it's on her - she's been given (or earned) the opportunities.

I spoke to a couple people about Geathers. Nobody knew anything.

Batting stats:

Geer leads in hitting with a .615 average, Gregg leads in RBI's with 12, Geer and Gregg have 8 hits apiece, McSwain has 2 home runs, Holcomb has 2 triples!!

The following is listed in order of average, but you can clearly see how production falls off. Lockman, Seggern, and McClain have been batting 7th, 8th, and 9th. Bearden was DP in a couple games.

If you can't hit UNCG, TTU, MTSU, and Ga Southern, then you're not going to hit Florida, Oklahoma, etc. These players have to step it up.

Player ………………… avg* ab* r* h* 2b* 3b* hr* rbi* tb*
Megan Geer……..…. .615* 13* 9* 8* 2* 0* 1* 7* 13*
Meghan Gregg……. .571* 14* 6* 8* 3* 0* 1* 12* 14*
Jenna Holcomb…… .545* 11* 4* 6* 1* 2* 0* 3* 11*
Scarlet McSwain…. .462* 13* 3* 6* 0* 0* 2* 5* 12*
Brooke Vines……… .412* 17* 7* 7* 2* 0* 0* 3* 9*
Aubrey Leach……… .400* 15* 8* 6* 1* 0* 1* 3* 10*
Abby Lockman……. .333* 9* 2* 3* 1* 0* 1* 4* 7*
Haley Bearden……. .200* 5* 1* 1* 0* 0* 0* 0* 1*
Chelsea Seggern…. .167* 12* 2* 2* 1* 0* 0* 3* 3*
CJ McClain………..… .125* 8* 2* 1* 0* 0* 0* 1* 1*

Seggern I think will eventually come around and produce. Another option is to drop Leach to the 9 spot. Ralph did that for a few games last season.

McClain is a career .250 hitter so I wouldn't expect much more than that. She has one of the best arms I have seen on a softball player ever. If she was a better hitter she would be an all star easily. I think Ralph will do everything possible to keep her in the lineup because of her ability to gun down second base runners on hits to center field.

That .250 avg is deceiving. She came to UT as a righty. The Weekly's flipped her over to the left side and have her mostly slapping.

A little unfair to judge her career numbers when she had to go through a transition like that.

Pitching stats:

The ratio at the end clearly shows Morrison and Brake have trouble throwing strikes.

Player………………. era* w-l* ip* h* r* er* bb* so* ....Pitches/Strikes Ratio
Caylan Arnold….. 0.00* 2-0* 11.0* 6* 1* 0* 2* 11* 165/117 71%
Kelsey Morrison * 0.00* 0-0* 3.0* 2* 0* 0* 3* 3* ...50/26 52%
Alex Brake…..…. 0.00* 0-0* 1.0* 1* 0* 0* 2* 1* .....20/9 45%
Matty Moss…..… 0.47* 3-0* 15.0* 6* 3* 1* 4* 15* ..216/138 64%

VN Store

Back