Game Thread Lady Vols at the JUNKANOO JAM

Apparently the officiating and scoring wasn't very good. They call a foul on our player for hitting a girls elbow with her nose and according to Mickie they kept addi and taking away points.

Eight turnovers in the first quarter really got this team shaky and were having huge problem guarding in the man to man. Proud of the team preventing this loss showed a lot of hustle and made some plays down the stretch that is what you have to do when you haven't played well for three quarters.

Evina would be a much better two guard she just doesn't have the handle to play the point. Her best position is off the ball because she can't dribble gets her pocket picked way to often.

I have said that many time is my other posts, We got away with it this time but as we go forward watch the better team apply the heat and press her and it`s gonna be steal and turnover city. This is a bad Clemson team so no one should jump up and down about this win.

I have said that many time is my other posts, We got away with it this time but as we go forward watch the better team apply the heat and press her and it`s gonna be steal and turnover city. This is a bad Clemson team so no one should jump up and down about this win.

Didn’t hear or catch anything... Just glad this team didn’t fold ... I read a poster saying CHW sat Westbrook down because she wasn’t playing up to par if that’s so and she came back and responded Kudos to both of them. Other than that welp... Go LV!!

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
I think we'd be a lot better team in the half court offense with Massengill and Zaay Green at the point both can handle the ball far better than Evina. I think Evina could be a terrific scorer from the two position off the ball. 8 turnovers is horrible in the first quarter great that we only were losing by one after the quarter was over.

agree...Massengil's door couldn't be wider
I guess the question is will Holly make Westbrook go to the 2 guard and let Massengill take the point. Westbrook is a good passer and she could still be an effective passer as a 2 guard.

I noticed a lot of the games on ESPN do not have box scores. Is that due to them being out of the country?

Eight turnovers in the first quarter really got this team shaky and were having huge problem guarding in the man to man. Proud of the team preventing this loss showed a lot of hustle and made some plays down the stretch that is what you have to do when you haven't played well for three quarters.

The turnovers have to stop.
They need to be our next focus...and will be

I guess the question is will Holly make Westbrook go to the 2 guard and let Massengill take the point. Westbrook is a good passer and she could still be an effective passer as a 2 guard.

I noticed a lot of the games on ESPN do not have box scores. Is that due to them being out of the country?

CHW took a lot of looks today.
Tomorrow's game is a little different
Today was a play-in game
Tomorrow is a play-out game.
You always want to leave a tourney at your peak

Ive been saying this all season but no one would listen. Shes not a PG she needs to play SG but shes not our best option at SG neither. Poor kid

Her shooting has been better she could honestly play a combo guard and be like in hockey who helps a score with an asist off an assist to score.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Her shooting has been better she could honestly play a combo guard and be like in hockey who helps a score with an asist off an assist to score.

Yes she does have the best court vision in my opinion but the game is still moving to fast for her. I have not seen her adjust to the college level when it comes to being a PG.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Yes she does have the best court vision in my opinion but the game is still moving to fast for her. I have not seen her adjust to the college level when it comes to being a PG.

It’s like if she would wait a tic more and make the decision her turnovers would be cut down 😩 it’s like she sees the opening but not the defender which works in high school but not college like you said. I still have high hopes for her especially with her outside shot seemingly improved thru four games!

Honestly, Horston has court vision like Westbrook but her handles are SIIICKKK.

Evina would be a much better two guard she just doesn't have the handle to play the point. Her best position is off the ball because she can't dribble gets her pocket picked way to often.

Amen. I’ve been saying that all she needs to do is work on her ball handling skills, and she’s be a solid PG. She doesn’t seem to be able to go left so easily.

"I read a poster saying CHW sat Westbrook down because she wasn’t playing up to par"

Would that that were true, however, Westbrook sat because she picked up her second foul in the half early in the second quarter. While not absolutely inviolable, that is a standard rule with Holly, unless she has no other option.

Jim

Looks like UAB tomorrow! Beat Oklahoma 89-84
That would be on Saturday.

I just saw the score on UAB and OK. I want to look at the box score. I just looked at the Tenn-Clemson box score and must admit I was a little surprised. Listening to Mickey's broadcast was somewhat excruciating and I had a more negative view of the game. Looking at the box score, it appears that the Lady Vols actually had a relatively decent offensive output! Scoring was, again (and against better competition), balanced. Although I would like to see the field goal percentage around the 48-49% range, 44.1% is not terrible, by any means. In addition, the 3-pt percentage was decent and we got above 70% on free throw percentage for the first time this season.

Turnovers continue to plague the Lady Vols. 19 turnovers against a team like Clemson is simply, in my opinion, unacceptable. For those who said the 21 turnovers against Florida A&M wasn't a real worry because it was just a product of the team having such a large lead and not having to worry about ball discipline, I think this game should be a wake up call. If the turnovers today had been a more respectable 10-12 (like they should be every game, in my opinion), the Lady Vols would have won this game by the 20-30 points that they should have. Good ball discipline isn't something a team/player can turn on against the better teams. If one does not practice/exercise it against the lesser teams on the schedule, it simply won't be there against the better teams. 19 turnovers against the team that just beat Clemson by 8 points more than the Lady Vols did could result in the fifth straight loss to Alabama and that would be truly unacceptable!

Jim

I think what made the offense sound so dismal, was the type of shots they missed. They had to have missed at least 8 layups and even more from point blank range.

That would be on Saturday.

I just saw the score on UAB and OK. I want to look at the box score. I just looked at the Tenn-Clemson box score and must admit I was a little surprised. Listening to Mickey's broadcast was somewhat excruciating and I had a more negative view of the game. Looking at the box score, it appears that the Lady Vols actually had a relatively decent offensive output! Scoring was, again (and against better competition), balanced. Although I would like to see the field goal percentage around the 48-49% range, 44.1% is not terrible, by any means. In addition, the 3-pt percentage was decent and we got above 70% on free throw percentage for the first time this season.

Turnovers continue to plague the Lady Vols. 19 turnovers against a team like Clemson is simply, in my opinion, unacceptable. For those who said the 21 turnovers against Florida A&M wasn't a real worry because it was just a product of the team having such a large lead and not having to worry about ball discipline, I think this game should be a wake up call. If the turnovers today had been a more respectable 10-12 (like they should be every game, in my opinion), the Lady Vols would have won this game by the 20-30 points that they should have. Good ball discipline isn't something a team/player can turn on against the better teams. If one does not practice/exercise it against the lesser teams on the schedule, it simply won't be there against the better teams. 19 turnovers against the team that just beat Clemson by 8 points more than the Lady Vols did could result in the fifth straight loss to Alabama and that would be truly unacceptable!

Jim

VN Store

Back