Game Thread Lady Vols at the JUNKANOO JAM

While they are a mid major team they are predicted to win conference USA (over Rice and Middle Tn) they have 9 players with at least 2 years experience on the D1 level ( 1 Red shirt sophomore and a slew of juniors and seniors).

Not saying this is any excuse however we will be running into another top midmajor team later in the year (Belmont espn has them ranked 3 in their top kid major polls). A different style of b-ball that we are used too. I guess another positive is seeing this type of team now that we may run into the tourney later? Clemson handled OU so this may have been a better test for the ladies.

UAB is definitely a solid team and the gap between mid-majors and major programs has closed significantly the last few years. As was evident in the NCAA tournament last year with teams like Buffalo.

I still feel with out superior size and athleticism we should have at least controlled the game even if it was close. We didn’t control the game today in anyway, they had us on our heels all afternoon until their legs went.

I think the biggest problem going forward is free throw shooting were gonna lose big against the better teams if we can't make a lot more than we made today. No use in shooting them in practice if your not shooting them right. Need someone that can tweak the technique of some of the players.

I am so on the same page. Davis IS a takeover kind of player, if I were Holly I’d be inbounding the ball to her, she’s got the handles and athleticism to make a move all by herself.

And it was a quiet 18, she should have the ball in her hands significantly more than any other player. Even when she doesn’t score she generally penetrates and makes a nice pass to the opposite post for a wide open layup, or kicks it out to Meme on the opposite wing for a wide open 3 and gets in good O-board position. She’s the only player this season that consistently makes good decisions with the basketball. She’s a star and should be treated like one.

Just like Pat used to have Candace bring the ball up and run the offense, that’s what I’d like to see, I’m not sure she has the attitude for that, but she certainly has the basketball IQ.

Rennia is not demanding the ball. Candace, demanded the basketball. lol

Reactions: VolBall09
We're still undefeated 1 of 3 SEC teams. Nice post everyone.

Our ladies have some work to do, and this year, no team is playing good ball but the veterans squad at the guard spot ND, OSU, OU, everyone else...

We have time, but they didn't lose this game. Overcame double digits deficits three times, shocked a lot of fans, cos sum thought that we were going to lose this game.

Aye, young team on vacation, and distraction, gutted a win. Thanks for not making me regret that 29 bucks. Now that part feels good. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
Hate me if you want, but are all chat rooms this hard on their team as some of the “fans” in this one?

Nobody hates you, but I don’t feel being fan just means being positive. I’ve loved Lady Vol basketball since I was 8 years old. When positive things happen I am happy to post about them and congratulate our team. Unfortunately today very few positive things happened. It is human (and sports) nature to see the flaws as that’s how you improve. If you can’t find your own weaknesses how can you eliminate them? I played basketball for 20 years, no coach I ever had was sunshine and rainbows. When you do something right there is often no praise because that is what you’re SUPPOSED to do. When you’re screwing up you better bet you’re going to hear about it, that’s how you get better. Pointing out our flaws isn’t to admonish the players, it’s only to highlight correctable problems.

Hate me if you want, but are all chat rooms this hard on their team as some of the “fans” in this one?

Aye, we want to return to GREATNESS, most of us knows this team is one year away (young guards), but with our talent we just hoped they make a leap this year because of supposedly high recruits (high school recruiting rankings).

We know its a win, but we also know there are some things this team needs to fix, and they are glaring.

We are passionate fan base, knowledgable fan base, and for the most part everyone wants was what's best for the players, the coaches and the Lady Vols.

But if your freakking up, we are gonna call you on it too. We know what Championship basketball and teams look like...

We're still undefeated. Nice post everyone.

Our ladies have some work to do, and this year, no team is playing good ball but the veterans squad at the guard spot ND, OSU, OU, everyone else...

We have time, but they didn't lose this game. Overcame double digits deficits three times, shocked a lot of fans, cos sum thought that we were going to lose this game.

Aye, young team on vacation, and distraction, gutted a win. Thanks for not making me regret that 29 bucks. Now that part feels good. lol

There are a lot of teams playing good ball right now, Our problem and every year it`s the same Holly not coaching or lack of coaching. There should be only one player getting the nod to start and that`s Davis. I don`t want to hear anymore talk about SR leadership.

I think the biggest problem going forward is free throw shooting were gonna lose big against the better teams if we can't make a lot more than we made today. No use in shooting them in practice if your not shooting them right. Need someone that can tweak the technique of some of the players.

It's overly optimistic to think the biggest problem going forward is FT shooting, when our defense is this bad and we haven't demonstrated any ability to take care of the ball.

Nobody hates you, but I don’t feel being fan just means being positive. I’ve loved Lady Vol basketball since I was 8 years old. When positive things happen I am happy to post about them and congratulate our team. Unfortunately today very few positive things happened. It is human (and sports) nature to see the flaws as that’s how you improve. If you can’t find your own weaknesses how can you eliminate them? I played basketball for 20 years, no coach I ever had was sunshine and rainbows. When you do something right there is often no praise because that is what you’re SUPPOSED to do. When you’re screwing up you better bet you’re going to hear about it, that’s how you get better. Pointing out our flaws isn’t to admonish the players, it’s only to highlight correctable problems.

I don't disagree with that, but a couple of positive things did happen today. We showed that we could hang tough and come back from a 10-12-point deficit (twice) whereas other recent teams would have just folded, and KK showed some very promising play on both ends of the court.

It's overly optimistic to think the biggest problem going forward is FT shooting, when our defense is this bad and we haven't demonstrated any ability to take care of the ball.

I don't disagree with that, but a couple of positive things did happen today. We showed that we could hang tough and come back from a 10-12-point deficit (twice) whereas other recent teams would have just folded, and KK showed some very promising play on both ends of the court.

Agreed KK had some excellent offensive and defensive plays at the end, and that 3 point play was massive! Hope it gives her some confidence going forward.

I also think it is commendable that we didn’t fold after being down double digits twice like you said. Two and three seasons ago we would have thrown in the towel and lost by 15. Our effort was good in spurts and they never quit.

Reactions: Pat4life
There are a lot of teams playing good ball right now, Our problem and every year it`s the same Holly not coaching or lack of coaching. There should be only one player getting the nod to start and that`s Davis. I don`t want to hear anymore talk about SR leadership.

A lot teams are playing ok, basketball or they are playing better opponents, there is no team on the landscape besides ND and OU and OSU, that has looked superior than everyone, every one else looks beatable. I agree on the leadership, but you are asking Meme, a role player to step up, shoots the ball better this year, same careless mistakes, to lead, you asking a player who got limited minutes in London to lead, so we knew by proxy the leadership falls to your best players, your two all SEC Freshman First team, our team is lead by Sophomores.

We had to know with a young team, roles still not going to be defined this early in the season, every one is looking like they are finding their way. But some sort of pecking order was establish this game.

Well coaching starts with recruiting, same thang top team classes.
Well coaching finally stockpiling guards and wings, young tho.
Well coaching team does look the same, the lady vols has a roadmap for success left by Pat.
Well coaching she's no Pat for sure.
Well coaching, let see what she does with Rennia's Class before we pass judgement.
Well coaching, four freshman, three sophomores, the players that stepped up today were Sophomores.
Well coaching, that might be talented but they still haven't played in WCBB!
Well coaching, she won the game. The other coach lost.

Yes, our problem has been the same, weak to poor guard play. If that don't change, yes most likely her team, like any team will look the same every year.

Do you think Holly and Staff are trying to fix the problems or you think they have said freak it, the 5th game into the season?

You keep the same starting lineup and keep building yo small lineup.

Last edited:

Ok I get it frustration can get the best of us. I have loved the Vols for a long time as well, but for some reason I just believe that it is better to be positive with opinions. I will always be a vol fan as that is a part of me and when I read some of the comments that seem so uninfluence by love of the team it does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

We will see a team just like UAB all year, they ran a lot of 5 out, and four out, putting our bigs in open space and going right by them to the rim.

Another great game to teach!

Well the defense did a lot better job in the second half . This team was averaging 85 ppg so 69 is a decent total to hold them to. Turnovers are probably not gonna change because Evina thinks she is some kind of passing houdini and her turnovers are the most numerous of anyone on the team. Take away the six or seven she has a game and were looking at about a normal total. I think Free throw shooting is a huge problem 70 percent is the norm that means about 8 points left off the board in regulation just saying we hit 70 percent today. That wins the game in regulation going away even with 35 percent field goal shooting. We have a lot of areas to improve but if were missing 15 free throws a game the other problems want matter.

I remember a poster commenting on how poor the team’s footwork was in man to man defense and it nearly cost us today.

Coaches and players: work on defensive footwork & assignments, and please call in Coach Barnes to assist with free throw shooting. Maybe he can be our free throw consultant and add to his paycheck.

lol

Ok I get it frustration can get the best of us. I have loved the Vols for a long time as well, but for some reason I just believe that it is better to be positive with opinions. I will always be a vol fan as that is a part of me and when I read some of the comments that seem so uninfluence by love of the team it does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Have to remember that having fans at all is a privledge itself. If you’re not putting out a product that’s fun to watch you won’t have anyone cheering you on, positive or negative.

Offense sells tickets, defense wins games.

I can never hate u, this is a fan comment board and I respect every comments and opinions, however when u want the best from ur child u don't lie to ur child like others do when the child is not doing rite.Showing love is also same as being hard on them and wanting the best out of them. Respectfully..

UAB is definitely a solid team and the gap between mid-majors and major programs has closed significantly the last few years. As was evident in the NCAA tournament last year with teams like Buffalo.

I still feel with out superior size and athleticism we should have at least controlled the game even if it was close. We didn’t control the game today in anyway, they had us on our heels all afternoon until their legs went.
UAB was a solid team but Tennessee should never have been down 12 points. A lot of the problem is the growing pains of playing inexperienced freshmen. No matter how great you were in high school there is a learning curve at the next level. We have to remember, we have a very young team.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123

There is no hate here! most here are lady vol lovers.... The comments come from fans that loved Pat Summitt and all of the past players and the National Championships, etc. However, some here are X-Players and X-Coaches, and know what a Basketball game should look like! We were down 9 to zero and Holly is standing on the sidelines with her arms folded and the girls are looking for her to tell them something...... call a time out for goodness sakes ..... Twice the other coach called a time out when we were coming back or making an effort,,,,, Holly used NO time outs in the first half ?????
How many turnovers does it take to talk about it ???? Two times in a row the guards threw the ball over KK's head before she could get ready to catch the ball..... E caught a pass from MeMe and just tipped it towards KK with a girl fronting her so they stole the ball.... Just silly mistakes that we need to settle down and quit making mental errors.... Maybe we could of got our focus before the Overtime? Just saying,,,

Example: E played 35 minutes and had 7 turnovers
MeMe played 37 min. and had 3 turnovers
Jaz played 15 min. and had 2 turnovers
Zaay played 16 min. and had 1 turnovers
E is shooting 27% from the foul line,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Freshmen are having less turnovers (Which is not normal) verses the veteran guards !!!!
Your Point guard is shooting 27% from the freethrow line... (Not Normal)
Something is wrong with this scenario ?

No Hate...... But this is a bad situation that needs attention ....... Just Saying

Last edited:
There is no hate here! most here are lady vol lovers.... The comments come from fans that loved Pat Summitt and all of the past players and the National Championships, etc. However, some here are X-Players and X-Coaches, and know what a Basketball game should look like! We were down 9 to zero and Holly is standing on the sidelines with her arms folded and the girls are looking for her to tell them something...... call a time out for goodness sakes ..... Twice the other coach called a time out when we were coming back or making an effort,,,,, Holly used NO time outs in the first half ?????
How many turnovers does it take to talk about it ???? Two times in a row the guards threw the ball over KK's head before she could get ready to catch the ball..... E caught a pass from MeMe and just tipped it towards KK with a girl fronting her so they stole the ball.... Just silly mistakes that we need to settle down and quit making mental errors.... Maybe we could of got our focus before the Overtime? Just saying,,,

Example: E played 35 minutes and had 7 turnovers
MeMe played 37 min. and had 3 turnovers
Jaz played 15 min. and had 2 turnovers
Zaay played 16 min. and had 1 turnovers
E is shooting 27% from the foul line,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Freshmen are having less turnovers (Which is not normal) verses the veteran guards !!!!
Your Point guard is shooting 27% from the freethrow line... (Not Normal)
Something is wrong with this scenario ?

No Hate...... But this is a bad situation that needs attention ....... Just Saying

U right..

VN Store

Back