Game Thread: Lady Vols at No. 4/3 LSU; 7PM; ESPN2

home cooking never gets. or unconn cooking on rockey top stove and oven. tenn can not fair shake at home sometimes much less home cooking just the facts. @volnationnj @Volfaninfl2 two cents on foul shots and refs dislike of vols in games they make hard on them. women basketball need to grade refs like nfl better refs get playoff games deeper in players best refs get ref.
The following quote was from another poster:
"There is home team bias at every venue except Tennessee( men and women both)."
Do you agree with it ?

Do you agree with it ?
their old saying they bought off the refs. when was last time other team could say sure refs are favoring lady vols? tigers 31 foul shots vs vols 12 five more by lsu would been 3 to 1 on freethrows 12 goes 36 three times just 2.5 fouls from tripleing fouls on vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: Benionsopinion
truly believe the LSU game should have been an exception to Kellie’s timeout philosophy in the fourth quarter to keep Tennessee in the game.
Good post, and me too. I'm not at all a magical t.o. believer but she should have in that case. She said herself they couldn't even hear in the huddle sometimes let alone on the floor. Also, as you said it was the third punch, plus it was late, the key players were at 30+ mins and she was asking them to press. A breather would have been nice. Not sure how many t.o.s she had left at that point, but unless it's one, call a t.o.
if she were to sack one or more of her other assistants, then she's created a real conflict of interest and perception problem. It's not a good situation and I suspect that if anyone is let go, it will start at the top.
My one and only objection to the hubby/wife teams. Hard to untangle one without the other if it becomes necessary. But I'm sure that was all worked out when they were hired. Our assistants have only been here 2 (?) yrs and were very highly regarded. Tinkering with them feels like shuffling the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.
Easy to sit RJ when you play the bottom dwellers and bring her in the first few minutes
It was hard AF against Virginia Tech though. Cost that game.
And as another poster stated, your results were based on professional mens players who are not as emotionally effected as college players, especially t
Pretty sure they looked across the board, that's how they could tell the MTO is most effective with the youngest players. They just headlined w the NBA bc it gets way more attention then the Upwards league. Also bc it most proves their theory.

Reactions: Bret178
Do you agree with it ?
It's always the refs fault when the team you are rooting for has more fouls or fewer FTs. If the reverse happens and your team has the advantage of a ton more FTs, then they totally deserved it and the refs got it right.

She definitely could have guarded Reese and he'll probably would have shut her down for most of the game. You even stating that Key wouldn't have made a difference is quite astonishing. Key throughout her Tennessee career has known to shut down other post players or limit them at best. She is Tennessee all time block leader in really only 3 seasons, she alters the opponents shots a lot, she has length, and if couldn't rebound the ball she would at least keep the ball alive and in play. So yes she would have made a big difference in the LSU, UConn, and Stanford game.
Key would be too slow to guard her, Reese would blow past her everytime just like Morris did to Powell the entire game.

All I know is that back in my playing days I found opponents' scoring runs to be both mentally and physically exhausting, and so time outs were welcomed so I could catch my breath, rest my legs, and get some encouragement from the coach. I needed someone to get me back on track mentally, and I needed to know that my coach remembered that I had breathing issues and might need 30 seconds to recuperate.

Time outs certainly helped me.
I was in pretty good shape so for me I didn’t always want the timeouts, because I felt like we could score on the next possession. But most teams I’ve played on were pretty good anyway.

Good post, and me too. I'm not at all a magical t.o. believer but she should have in that case. She said herself they couldn't even hear in the huddle sometimes let alone on the floor. Also, as you said it was the third punch, plus it was late, the key players were at 30+ mins and she was asking them to press. A breather would have been nice. Not sure how many t.o.s she had left at that point, but unless it's one, call a t.o.

My one and only objection to the hubby/wife teams. Hard to untangle one without the other if it becomes necessary. But I'm sure that was all worked out when they were hired. Our assistants have only been here 2 (?) yrs and were very highly regarded. Tinkering with them feels like shuffling the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

It was hard AF against Virginia Tech though. Cost that game.

Pretty sure they looked across the board, that's how they could tell the MTO is most effective with the youngest players. They just headlined w the NBA bc it gets way more attention then the Upwards league. Also bc it most proves their theory.
It’s not always about the timeouts, it’s about what u talk about during the timeouts, like telling Powell to pass to a finisher on a break and not force the shot up, or stop telegraphing your passes when u see them overplaying, like set some screens to get the shooters open.

It’s not always about the timeouts, it’s about what u talk about during the timeouts, like telling Powell to pass to a finisher on a break and not force the shot up, or stop telegraphing your passes when u see them overplaying, like set some screens to get the shooters open.
Some would say if these basics have not been effectively communicated over and over 10,000 times in practice by the time a player is in college, it's probably not going to happen during a timeout in a close game.

I think some timeouts are best just to settle everybody down a bit, especially on the road. Other teams on a run, crowd going nuts. Just have everyone take a breath and reassure them. Agree on the fundamentals. If a coach has to discuss that they have bigger problems.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Maybe we can have some guaranteed NIL ref money so they won't have to take that Happy Meal bag stashed in the broom closet where they change.

Hey, refs are people, too! Let's get them an endoraement or two from Checkers Burger, Jiffy Lufe, and Don's Elegant Junk. Maybe produce a limited trading card set and have gameday posters for individual refs. And the Knoxville Zoo could have them as their spokespeople.

It's always the refs fault when the team you are rooting for has more fouls or fewer FTs. If the reverse happens and your team has the advantage of a ton more FTs, then they totally deserved it and the refs got it right.

Amby, the discrepancy in free throw attempts in this game mostly occurred because when LSU took the ball into the lane fouls were called and on the other end of the floor when Lady Vols went into the lane whistles were swallowed. Call it whatever you want, but home court bias is prevalent. A lot of frustration was evident on Lady Vol player‘s faces on some no calls. All a coach and/or player can ask is that both ends of the floor be officiated the same. That did not happen in this game. Another poster said that almost every close call went in LSU favor.
I stated that home team bias occurred in all home arenas except TBA. I really feel that a lot of that bias is directed at Tennessee basketball because of the Lady Vols success over the years. Having played,coached,officiated (TSSAA and Texas Interscholastic) and watched many years,this is what I see.

Amby, the discrepancy in free throw attempts in this game mostly occurred because when LSU took the ball into the lane fouls were called and on the other end of the floor when Lady Vols went into the lane whistles were swallowed. Call it whatever you want, but home court bias is prevalent. A lot of frustration was evident on Lady Vol player‘s faces on some no calls. All a coach and/or player can ask is that both ends of the floor be officiated the same. That did not happen in this game. Another poster said that almost every close call went in LSU favor.
I stated that home team bias occurred in all home arenas except TBA. I really feel that a lot of that bias is directed at Tennessee basketball because of the Lady Vols success over the years. Having played,coached,officiated (TSSAA and Texas Interscholastic) and watched many years,this is what I see.

I don't go too far down this wormhole but Rickea was getting hacked a lot on her misses and turnovers whereas any contact on Reese seemed to be getting called. But, it seems to be a patter that Rickea is not getting calls, You can see her looking exasperated over no calls all game long. Back in the day, Glory Johnson had the same problem, short of being hit in the head with a baseball bat, teams could mug her with impunity.

I don't go too far down this wormhole but Rickea was getting hacked a lot on her misses and turnovers whereas any contact on Reese seemed to be getting called. But, it seems to be a patter that Rickea is not getting calls, You can see her looking exasperated over no calls all game long. Back in the day, Glory Johnson had the same problem, short of being hit in the head with a baseball bat, teams could mug her with impunity.

right now the gameplan focuses on stopping RJ...if JH and Jillian get going,,they won't be able to double team her so easily

Key would be too slow to guard her, Reese would blow past her everytime just like Morris did to Powell the entire game.
Key has length. Doesn't matter if you blow by if you have enough length. You know how many have tried throughout her career here? Know how many blocks she has had. Leader in blocks for a reason. No telling how many more shots she has altered

Key has length. Doesn't matter if you blow by if you have enough length. You know how many have tried throughout her career here? Know how many blocks she has had. Leader in blocks for a reason. No telling how many more shots she has altered
Looking for Jillian to develop that sixth sense as she plays more

Reese clothes lined Walker and nothing!

VN Store

Back