Game Thread: LADY VOLS AT NO. 16/14 NOTRE DAME

I am amazed at Jazmine’s excellent timing on shot blocks. That is a really, REALLY valuable skill for her to have going forward. If the entire team maintains the defensive intensity they played with tonight and continues to improve on it, they will throw even great offensive teams off balance.

And by the end of the season we should be seeing a vast improvement in our half-court offense. Like many others have said we’ve got to be patient and let the teacher teach at the pace she knows will work for these players.

Speaking of teaching, I know that Kellie is having to fill Jazmine’s head with a LOT of information on running the team, so if her shooting/scoring has to be a low priority for now in order to not overwhelm her with too much responsibility too soon, that’s okay.

I trust the staff to get what they need from Jaz right now, and she’s doing a fine job so far.

One thing I can say Jolly does better than holly already. Defense and Rebounding the REAL PAT WAY! I was so pleased to actually see offensive rhythms against the zone!

I am amazed at Jazmine’s excellent timing on shot blocks. That is a really, REALLY valuable skill for her to have going forward. If the entire team maintains the defensive intensity they played with tonight and continues to improve on it, they will throw even great offensive teams off balance.

And by the end of the season we should be seeing a vast improvement in our half-court offense. Like many others have said we’ve got to be patient and let the teacher teach at the pace she knows will work for these players.

Speaking of teaching, I know that Kellie is having to fill Jazmine’s head with a LOT of information on running the team, so if her shooting/scoring has to be a low priority for now in order to not overwhelm her with too much responsibility too soon, that’s okay.

I trust the staff to get what they need from Jaz right now, and she’s doing a fine job so far.

I loved Jazmine's effort; when she caused a TO she would fight back and get a block or disrupt ND in some way. In the long run, it is better to not have to make the recovery play but that level of intensity was lacking last season.

Team defended really well in the first half. They lost some shooters in the 2nd half (though ND was bricking most of their open looks) but that aspect of the game--maintaining the intensity over the entire game--should come along as the season goes.

Getting this win right on the heels of losing Zaay is really impressive.

Dang! Looks like Sgt. Kellie and the Howling Commandos are on a C-47 ready to drop on the enemy. Which is sort of what they did when they stormed South Bend.

Very appropriate for Veterans Day.

Sincere thanks to all those men and women who have served our country and world in the military.

I really love this team, but I cringe a little when Rae Burrell enters the game.

Rea reminds me of the cartoon character Road Runner ! Going at 110 miles per hour but there is a brick wall ahead that she can’t see ! Ouch ..... I am in hopes she can learn to dial it back a couple of notches and just let the game come to her ..... I think she was the steal of her draft class ! Expecting great things from her . 🤔

Last edited:
HARRIS ..... in the game the last 2–3 minutes of second quarter and 4th quarter ? Did not expect that !!!! But she got rebounds and made baskets when needed ! When ND made their late second quarter run , they were within 4 points and Harris made a ten footer and scored two more points to take the lead back to eight . Just WOW

She had practically the same stat line as KK with the same minutes and looked more athletic doing it.

What we can depend on from this team is consistent effort on defense and rebounding the basketball. We can depend on them to play for a full forty minutes with their heads up giving it all they got.

What we need from the team is players getting better at finding and executing a role on the team. We need the freshman to improve game by game as they will determine what we achieve this season. If Horston and Key get to where I think they can in the next 10 to 15 games like I said in another post this is gonna be a team hard to deal with for anyone in the SEC.

I thought that Massengill, Key, and Davis did a great job of executing their roles on this team last night. I think Horston did early then she got out of her role by trying to do to much with tough passes. KK and Harris will be great if they can do exactly what they did last night. We have to get something out of Brown and Burrell they have to give us 15 points a game in an efficient way. Hopefully as the season progresses Rennie will give us some scoring she play a fairly decent floor game already. I don't know what the plan is for Emily expect she will play several minutes when we get big leads and sit against the other teams.

Right now I am most impressed with the rebounding and the defense against the dribble drive.

After watching the first half moments ago....I noticed ND hardly never had anyone underneath the basket for a rebound when they would shoot the ball out away from the basket. Tenn ate them up w/rebounds last night. Seems just as w/Pat.....Kellie is preaching the serious game of offense & defense rebounding on all fronts.

What we can depend on from this team is consistent effort on defense and rebounding the basketball. We can depend on them to play for a full forty minutes with their heads up giving it all they got.

What we need from the team is players getting better at finding and executing a role on the team. We need the freshman to improve game by game as they will determine what we achieve this season. If Horston and Key get to where I think they can in the next 10 to 15 games like I said in another post this is gonna be a team hard to deal with for anyone in the SEC.

I thought that Massengill, Key, and Davis did a great job of executing their roles on this team last night. I think Horston did early then she got out of her role by trying to do to much with tough passes. KK and Harris will be great if they can do exactly what they did last night. We have to get something out of Brown and Burrell they have to give us 15 points a game in an efficient way. Hopefully as the season progresses Rennie will give us some scoring she play a fairly decent floor game already. I don't know what the plan is for Emily expect she will play several minutes when we get big leads and sit against the other teams.

Right now I am most impressed with the rebounding and the defense against the dribble drive.

As for Emily let`s see how Harris knee holds up.

I like this version of the Lady Vols! Playing a good game on the road against #15 Notre Dame. Thought the refs were going to throw the game here at the end. Gotta hit free throws late in the game. Good block there called a foul. Referees are crap. Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back