Game Thread: Lady Vols at LSU

Well Davis and Burrell going for 22 instead of 52 made it the game it was. When they as a duo fail to score 35 to 40 I figure were in for a battle.

Probably unless others have a stellar night. I could see 30 points and 20 rebounds from the five. Horston is gonna go off on someone soon. Good shooting from JW, Marta and Destiny can help greatly offset an off night from the wings. I think that is one reason Kellie has been substituting the way she has. This conference demands some mental toughness if one is to compete. Would not have won a few games this year if we were soft as in some years past.

We tried everybody on Pointer and no one could guard her in the man to man. We slowed her down a little with the zone. When Pointer sees orange she reaches another level as a player. With the small lineup LSU plays Marta as a perimeter player was doomed to fail We went to the double post to try to pound them on the boards with second chance points it worked somewhat but nothing worked great yesterday.

If we play them again our guards needs to back up a little force her to prove she can shoot lights out ? i don`t think so.

Probably unless others have a stellar night. I could see 30 points and 20 rebounds from the five. Horston is gonna go off on someone soon. Good shooting from JW, Marta and Destiny can help greatly offset an off night from the wings. I think that is one reason Kellie has been substituting the way she has. This conference demands some mental toughness if one is to compete. Would not have won a few games this year if we were soft as in some years past.
I think Horston is very close to breaking out. Just like Burrell last season she is starting to get it as a sophomore. I look for a big second half of the season for her.

Let's not forget that the same Arkansas team the LVs destroyed took #8 Texas A&M to the wire, losing on a buzzer beater.

We should all buckle up for teams, including the LVs, having up and down games this season.

As for LSU, they played the LVs more like everyone expected Arkansas to do. Driving the lane, putting pressure on our defenders, and generally swarming the ball. They also took advantage of refs tendencies to give calls to smaller players that they don't give to bigger ones. The poetic justice was Pointer missing so many FTs but the refs were blowing whistles for the most incidental contact whereas the LVs were getting grabbed and bumped with impunity. But, that is the nature of reffing in the SEC.

Had the LVs not committed so many TOs that led to immediate transition baskets, this game would have likely been a double digit win, even with Rennia not being that much of an offensive factor.

Many of these TOs were not, as I see it, forcing passes into double teams (though there were a few of those). Most were due to a speed of play gap. The LVs made passes without any anticipation that the LSU players were going to the jump the pass lane. Tamari had one in the 4th(?) quarter that led to a transition hoop that was particularly egregious. It was so bad, I got a little PO'd when she did the "my bad" tap on her chest. I was like, yeah, everyone knows it was your "bad" but there is no way you should ever make that kind of mistake.

But, the LVs also got caught picking up their dribble too soon, like in the corner were they could get swarmed, dribbling into double teams. Conversely, The LVs need to be much quicker in making their cuts to get open for passes. So, the fault is not all on the passer but also in some cases a relatively slow offensive execution.

It did not help that Rennia was not more aggressive in looking for her shot. It seemed that she was almost intimidated by LSU's swarming defense.

Fortunately, Rae is FEARLESS. She was the one LV player who consistently took the game to LSU and made some clutch 3's when the game looked like it might be turning. Sure, she made some mistakes but that just the price of playing an aggressive attacking style.

And the LVs got really solid production from Key (who was much better than against Ark.) and KK once again.

Against teams like LSU, the "Jordan" backcourt seems like the best solution. Marta is not quite ready for this speed of play. I thought Destiny again showed great promise. She did not score much but she demonstrated really good poise under presssure and again, I think she got some really tough foul calls when matched up against Pointer. She was defending well but the refs were making Pointer unguardable.

So, we have seen the formula where the LVs at their best are a team that is very hard to beat-- Davis, Burrell, and Horston scoring and shooting well, decent production from our post players (10 to 15 points) and low TOs. We also saw that this season, the LVs can still win on the road when several of those conditions are not met. So, there is the silver lining to a somewhat off night but a win nonetheless

Good post, madtownvol. Another thing that hurt us yesterday was letting them score at least 6 points, maybe more, on easy layups when our bigs were sliding over on help defense. It seemed like all Nikki had to do to get her team an open layup was to say, "Run it again." Our big would turn her back for just a spit second to help on the other side of the lane and, WHAM, there was an LSU under the basket waiting to receive the easy dish for yet another score. It was maddening to me that we kept giving them that, and if we don't address that strongly in practice this week I'm afraid we're going to see a lot of that in the near future.

That said, in the end it may have balanced itself out yesterday since our posts had -- except for not recognizing those cuts coming -- pretty strong outings. Hopefully they'll build on the momentum they started yesterday, because Kellie is definitely going to need them to play huge going forward. I feel like we've had an ideal schedule to build, too, with the toughest part of the schedule coming three-quarters in and then ending on some games we should be favored in.

Since their loss to Pacific a few weeks back their defense hit another level. Since that game no team they have played has been able to break the 70 point mark. Pointer has also increased her production since starting SEC play.

They are a nightmare in conference play for most everyone. Defensively you can almost guarantee they’re going to take away option number 1 probably number 2 as well. They held most of their opponents to below 70 points in SEC last season and were in almost every game but one or two. With their defensive intensity combined with a really good scout on SEC opponents they are not fun to play.

Most of their games this season will be decided by single digits. Defensively they are good enough to make it a ballgame almost every night. They have nothing going on offense outside of Pointer getting downhill though. If teams figure out how to stop her they’ll have a hard time putting 40 points on the board. So far none of the SEC teams they have played have had a great answer. Alabama is a pretty big like us and she torched them off the bounce as well.

Great analysis. The time you took to thoughtfully answer my question is appreciated.

Let's not forget that the same Arkansas team the LVs destroyed took #8 Texas A&M to the wire, losing on a buzzer beater.

We should all buckle up for teams, including the LVs, having up and down games this season.

As for LSU, they played the LVs more like everyone expected Arkansas to do. Driving the lane, putting pressure on our defenders, and generally swarming the ball. They also took advantage of refs tendencies to give calls to smaller players that they don't give to bigger ones. The poetic justice was Pointer missing so many FTs but the refs were blowing whistles for the most incidental contact whereas the LVs were getting grabbed and bumped with impunity. But, that is the nature of reffing in the SEC.

Had the LVs not committed so many TOs that led to immediate transition baskets, this game would have likely been a double digit win, even with Rennia not being that much of an offensive factor.

Many of these TOs were not, as I see it, forcing passes into double teams (though there were a few of those). Most were due to a speed of play gap. The LVs made passes without any anticipation that the LSU players were going to the jump the pass lane. Tamari had one in the 4th(?) quarter that led to a transition hoop that was particularly egregious. It was so bad, I got a little PO'd when she did the "my bad" tap on her chest. I was like, yeah, everyone knows it was your "bad" but there is no way you should ever make that kind of mistake.

But, the LVs also got caught picking up their dribble too soon, like in the corner were they could get swarmed, dribbling into double teams. Conversely, The LVs need to be much quicker in making their cuts to get open for passes. So, the fault is not all on the passer but also in some cases a relatively slow offensive execution.

It did not help that Rennia was not more aggressive in looking for her shot. It seemed that she was almost intimidated by LSU's swarming defense.

Fortunately, Rae is FEARLESS. She was the one LV player who consistently took the game to LSU and made some clutch 3's when the game looked like it might be turning. Sure, she made some mistakes but that just the price of playing an aggressive attacking style.

And the LVs got really solid production from Key (who was much better than against Ark.) and KK once again.

Against teams like LSU, the "Jordan" backcourt seems like the best solution. Marta is not quite ready for this speed of play. I thought Destiny again showed great promise. She did not score much but she demonstrated really good poise under presssure and again, I think she got some really tough foul calls when matched up against Pointer. She was defending well but the refs were making Pointer unguardable.

So, we have seen the formula where the LVs at their best are a team that is very hard to beat-- Davis, Burrell, and Horston scoring and shooting well, decent production from our post players (10 to 15 points) and low TOs. We also saw that this season, the LVs can still win on the road when several of those conditions are not met. So, there is the silver lining to a somewhat off night but a win nonetheless
Madtownvol, I sign on to this forum just to read your, and many others also, astute and perceptive comments.

Not every game, but ANY game. That's the thing. Yes everyone has bad games now and then. Maybe, probably, I'm over hysterical due to recent LV past, but it seems to me the LVs are uniquely capable of frequent bad games regardless of opponent and in repetitive, seemingly avoidable ways.

I just long for a shred of consistency. A popup bad game now and them due to matchup problems would be ok if they didn't happen so dang often.
glv98, you and Volfan2012 both have good points. Opposing points to be sure, but both of you have perceptive points.

speaking of banners....LSU has a AIAW(pre NCAA included women sports) runner up banner hanging If you watch this video and watch the ceiling it does a slo-mo of the ball goin in the hoop...ik we dont have our AIAW championship banner hanging found it intresting that LSU did and many other programs might have some up as well

speaking of banners....LSU has a AIAW(pre NCAA included women sports) runner up banner hanging If you watch this video and watch the ceiling it does a slo-mo of the ball goin in the hoop...ik we dont have our AIAW championship banner hanging found it intresting that LSU did and many other programs might have some up as well

I don’t think TN actually won until the NCAA tourney came about

Just watched the game. What a fantastic finish! The play of the game was, by far, the last play. If you get a chance, watch it in slow motion. It wasn’t just that the team kept the inbounds pass from going to Pointer. While Rennia stayed with the player with the ball, going into but not fouling a blocker in front of the basket, then going around the blocker to join Kasi who was alone guarding against the incoming shooter, with Rae and Destiny guarding two others, it was Jordan Horston who stuck with Pointer all the way up the floor, keeping her body between the ball and Pointer, then diving for the rebound. Pointer never touched the ball on the last play. Kudos to Jordan, and the Team, on super, winning defense! GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
I don’t think TN actually won until the NCAA tourney came about

haha ur right but we were runner ups

from wiki:
During the 1980–1981 season, the Lady Vols went 25–6, and avenged their championship game loss to Old Dominion by defeating them three times. The team made it to the AIAW Final Four for the third straight year, but wound up as runner-up for the second consecutive year, losing to Louisiana Tech, 79–59.

Been saying the same thing all year.She needs to have some meanness instilled in her ....she cowers everytime some one roughs her up.I have waiting on the male Harper to do that but it hasn't happened.Maybe if someone would cut about half that hair off it would make her mad enough to play some physical basketball.
Or . Emily with an attitude!!!

Nice reject of Pointer shot by Key

A thing of beauty. We just needed about 8 more haha. She sent a couple back in that game. Was glad to see it. Her shot block timing hasn’t been quite as good this season.

Her teammates have to help her out and stay attached as well. On that play the defender stayed with Pointer better and Tamari could come block the shot as the help defender. If you just straight up get beat then Key become the primary defender and it’s too easy for players to get into her body and draw a foul.

when we understand that giving the other team more shots normally results as a loss....24 TOs some of which were ....my new phrase “Day Dreaming Turnovers”... will get you beat. One thing it just looked like everyone was lost...maybe a symptom of irregular practice time.

VN Store

Back