VolBall09

Date: Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022
Time: 6:00 p.m. ET

HOOPS CENTRAL: Lady Vols at Florida - University of Tennessee Athletics

TV: SECN+

you can stream the game here

Get ESPN App | Watch ESPN

you can listen here: vs. Florida

The Lady Vols enter SEC play unranked after a very tough non-conference slate that saw them face half of the top 10 teams in the country. The Lady Vols will look to avenge an uncharacteristic , 84-59, blowout loss in Gainesville February 3, 2022.

The Gators enter SEC play 11-2 coming off a loss Dec 21 to #23/18 Oklahoma 95-79. Their other blemish on the season came to Florida State Nov 16th.

Recap: Jackson’s Gem Propels Lady Vols Past Gators, 77-67 - University of Tennessee Athletics

Final Box Score: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utsports.com/documents/2022/12/29/015_-_UT_UF_WBB1229.PDF

Last edited:
The Gators enter SEC play 11-2 coming off a loss Dec 21 to #23/18 Oklahoma 95-79. Their other blemish on the season came to Florida State Nov 16th.

I wrote something like this in the bracketology thread, but Florida's out of conference schedule is as soft as a marshmelon. Bethune-Cookman, Prairie View A&M, Presbyterian, Green Bay, Furman, Houston - you get the idea. When they've played anyone who's sniffing the Top 25 (Oklahoma and Florida State), they've lost.

Let's hope Tennessee is sniffing the Top 25 for this one.

Date: Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022
Time: 6:00 p.m. ET

TV: SECN+

you can stream the game here

Get ESPN App | Watch ESPN

you can listen here: vs. Florida

The Lady Vols enter SEC play unranked after a very tough non-conference slate that saw them face half of the top 10 teams in the country. The Lady Vols will look to avenge an uncharacteristic , 84-59, blowout loss in Gainesville February 3, 2022.

Thanks for starting the thread...I am on vacation and working with a phone

Reactions: VolBall09
I don’t follow WBB like most of you and I don’t know anything about Florida except that their record is against weak competition and that they beat us last year.
I do know we are a very different team than last year so I am going to ignore last years results and say, “Go Vols”.

What are Florida’s strengths/weaknesses? Any 1 player to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: travis929
Have to control their three guards they took 43 of 63 shots in their game against Oklahoma and that is basically how it is gone all season. You stop their guards you stop florida. Deans is the main focus for us today and the other guard is the second focus.

Is Florida still missing Leilani Correa, Jordyn Merritt and Aliyah Matharu? If so, Tennessee will win this one going way. 80-64 is my prediction.

Reactions: travis929
I don’t follow WBB like most of you and I don’t know anything about Florida except that their record is against weak competition and that they beat us last year.
I do know we are a very different team than last year so I am going to ignore last years results and say, “Go Vols”.

What are Florida’s strengths/weaknesses? Any 1 player to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Their fans hate all things Tennessee. So, that will get their girls motivated.

We are playing on short rest.

Size wise, Florida matches up very well with us. The teams aren't that much different from last year, and they beat us by 25.

Our best plan of action is to start the same five, and hope that Horston gets us off to a good lead. That will help quiet the hostile crowd.

If we can hit 3-balls, we should be fine. If the game is still close with five minutes remaining, then it will be a dog fight to end.

I expect a similar rotation to the Stanford game with very limited minutes for Miles, Wynn and Pissott.

Need the group of Su, Jill, Rickea, Powell, Franklin to provide considerable energy and put a beat-down on the Gator bench.

We can win. But, it is an identical game to what men played at Ole Miss last night. Not a walk-in park on the road against a quality SEC opponent.

Their fans hate all things Tennessee. So, that will get their girls motivated.

We are playing on short rest.

Size wise, Florida matches up very well with us. The teams aren't that much different from last year, and they beat us by 25.

Our best plan of action is to start the same five, and hope that Horston gets us off to a good lead. That will help quiet the hostile crowd.

If we can hit 3-balls, we should be fine. If the game is still close with five minutes remaining, then it will be a dog fight to end.

I expect a similar rotation to the Stanford game with very limited minutes for Miles, Wynn and Pissott.

Need the group of Su, Jill, Rickea, Powell, Franklin to provide considerable energy and put a beat-down on the Gator bench.

We can win. But, it is an identical game to what men played at Ole Miss last night. Not a walk-in park on the road against a quality SEC opponent.

Thank You. Exactly the type of analysis I was looking for. We need to win this game!!!

Florida is missing the 3 players that really made a mess of things for Tennesse last year. Kiara Smith, Zippy Broughton and Jordyn Merritt combined for 48 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 8 steals. Smith graduated, Broughton is out for the season with a knee injury and Merritt might be back, but hasn't played in their last 5 or so games. Their three big transfers are KK Deans, Leilani Correa (leading scorer, but hasn't played since the Miami game) and Aliyah Matharu (hasn't played yet). Florida just doesn't have the firepower or depth to stay with Tennessee, unless Merritt, Correa and Matharu are suited up. Otherwise, this will be a routine win.

lady vols to open sec play at florida govols247 kellie talks about game with maria also horston talks about sec season maria tells of two transfers florida pick up

Don’t sell yourself short on your roundy ball knowledge.! 😉
I recall more than one occasion you’ve quelled my fears of the sports abyss's approach.

Florida is missing the 3 players that really made a mess of things for Tennesse last year. Kiara Smith, Zippy Broughton and Jordyn Merritt combined for 48 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 8 steals. Smith graduated, Broughton is out for the season with a knee injury and Merritt might be back, but hasn't played in their last 5 or so games. Their three big transfers are KK Deans, Leilani Correa (leading scorer, but hasn't played since the Miami game) and Aliyah Matharu (hasn't played yet). Florida just doesn't have the firepower or depth to stay with Tennessee, unless Merritt, Correa and Matharu are suited up. Otherwise, this will be a routine win.

Ha Ha Ha....yes, we had this exact same discussion over in the Men's forum yesterday about Ole Miss. They simply didn't have the players to hang with us. Then, we were down 10 points at the half.

Our girls have yet to feel the heat brought on by a bunch of SEC rival jort wearing, mullet headed gatyor rednecks sitting directly behind bench calling them a bunch of fat $#%* azz %$&*^@# (*@^#% )(@&^#% &^!%@$( ugly %#$* *&^@ (*$$ *(@@ chicks.

We shall see how they respond to that nuance.

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha....yes, we had this exact same discussion over in the Men's forum yesterday about Ole Miss. They simply didn't have the players to hand with us. Then, we were down 10 points at the half.

Our girls have yet to feel the heat brought on by a bunch of jort wearing, mullet headed gatyor rednecks sitting directly behind bench calling them a bunch of fat $#%* azz %$&*^@# (*@^#% )(@&^#% &^!%@$( ugly %#$* *&^@ (*$$ *(@@ chicks.

We shall see how they respond to that nuance.
…dat blown kiss, though…😘

Depending on who’s back for Florida will depend on my confidence for this game. We can beat them full strength, but if none of the three they are missing is back, we can and should win soundly. It is a SEC game tho, and on the road. Those wins don’t come easy. Honestly play like we have been playing and we win this. We have been playing solid basketball

Don’t let the Gators weak schedule fool you, this will not be a walk in the park. When we have Jackson and Horston on the floor we have the best two players on the floor. Long as we play good defense, limit the turnovers, and play within ourselves, we can win this game. I watched the Gators against Oklahoma and they showed some weakness in the middle controlling undersized post. They also fell pray to the fast break. As one poster said, controlling their guards will be key. We will need to be physically in the paint without committing a bunch of silly fouls. They also allowed Oklahoma to shoot a lot of threes, Puckett and Tess Darby should have a good night if they are on. Go Lady Vols.

Merritt took a leave from the team for personal reasons

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The line is only 8.5. Like the on the men's side the first SEC road can be tough. Hoping for an easy win and pay back for last year. Striplin and Horston post game after Wofford smiled when they were asked if they remembered. GLV!

VN Store

Back