Game Thread: Lady Vols 75 - Ohio State 87

Maybe this will get their head out of the clouds with how great they are and cause them to get serious about basketball. Looked like freshman with a first year coach tonight. Time to get back to work because this schedule isn't easy.

They really had a chance to make a statement tonight. And just like that all the excitement leading up to the season and the bravado of "Tennessee is back!" -- gone. Still same old Kellieball...

Reactions: olddog and tnvols72
In all fairness, Rickea played like it was her first game as a freshman. She got beat on defense a lot and didn't show much offensively.
Even at MSST, Rickea was never a defensive standout. She's dazzling when she's playing well, but when she's off her game, she can be really bad...especially with the turnovers.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
We gave up 54 points in the 2nd half. That is beyond bad defense.

We also only made 4 3's. You have to make more 3s than that to beat good teams these days. That does not cut it.

This game was a disturbing carbon copy of many of the embarrassing games we played under Warlick--especially the way we fell apart in the 2nd half. That was a major marker of the Warlick regime--imploding in the 2nd half.

Some of this stuff should have been cured in practice. These ladies did just start making mistakes. They are making mistakes that top teams simply do not make. I am not giving an such excuses as this is their first game. 29 turnovers is ridiculous. They need a lot of work.
Well they're not top tier any more. watch the fall .

Well tonight we got out played and out coached. I am a big KJH fan but she has to coach better than she did tonight. Not making in game and halftime adjustments is not going to get it done no matter how much talent the team has. Refusing to call a time out in the third quarter as the wheels were falling off, that is something you have to do. When the team fell apart KJH simply did not have the answer. Hopefully she and the team learned something from this defeat that will cause a positive turnaround. This was awful.

Obviously some people here know more about Coach Harper coaching background than I do, tonight for the first time I’m going to really question her ability to lead this program back where it belongs. First, this was a very winnable game. The coaches strategy with using timeouts to stop runs and get players settled is mind blowing. You don’t let your team go through what she did in the 3rd qtr without stopping play to regroup and change up defenses/strategies to stop that 18-0 run by OSU. This woman simply kneeled on the sideline and watched it happen like a spectator.
I’m actually blown away by that kind of coaching from an obviously strong minded and successful leader. I know this team is better than that performance.
Second, there’s no justification for Puckett not playing in the 2nd half. None whatsoever. That’s how you lose players. Puckett should’ve played and so should have Marta more in the 2nd half. Rickea started out solid but once she sat most of the 2nd qtr with 2 fouls that took her out of the game. I’m hoping this player can get her career back on track.. she seems to be searching a little bit at the moment. She has remarkable ability as a basketball player.
Last, when players pick up fouls there will come a time when the coach has to show trust and let them play through it. If they foul out then use it as a teaching moment to adjust and use the depth on your roster. But there’s no point in taking players out the game then not seeming to have a backup plan other than allow Horston to generate all the offense.
Last season, there were times the offense ran through Horston, Puckett, Dye and Key while Burrell return from injury. This year, with Powell, Hollingshead, & Jackson added alongside the returners there’s no reason in any game to score just 34 points in the 2nd half. That’s a sign of the system. The system has to get better. The coaching has to get better. I can’t put this loss on the players.

It hurt, but it takes more than one game to kill the excitement and the season.
I am disappointed but not ready to lose my excitement for the potential of this team. Hopefully they can pick up the pieces and improve over the next few weeks. I still believe they have final four potential. Right now is is just that potential.

Sometime you can have such great talent that you don't design , you just run ISOball and your three point sharp shooter are a afterthought.
Also the post.

Dang, Miles +/- was negative 12 in her 4 minutes of play.

Suarez didn't look capable of playing at this level.

Walker, also terrible, no offensive game.

Horston has blinders on when she barrels toward the basket.

IMO Powell needs to take over this team. She made some mistakes but you can tell she has a high bb IQ.

Jackson and Darby played okay. Darby was wide open for some corner 3s but Horston wouldn't kick out.

This was CKH's worst coaching job. Whatever she drew on the whiteboard at half time, toss it in the toilet.

She also killed us with a couple of the lineups she put out there.

Danny White will be forced to deal with this coaching situation sooner rather than later unfortunately and he doesn’t settle for mediocrity. He will have no problem avoiding legacy coaches and find the right coach.

Same with the Lady Vol softball coaching staff.

Correct me if I’m wrong - did Fulmer hire Harper?
If so he’s the gift that keeps on giving.

They really had a chance to make a statement tonight. And just like that all the excitement leading up to the season and the bravado of "Tennessee is back!" -- gone. Still same old Kellieball...

No, can’t steal my joy. Nobody thinks that BUT YOU.
Tell that to North Carolina men college basketball team last season. Wasn’t no where near the best team in the regular season.. made it to Nat’l title game and loss by 3 points. S.Carolina women loss to Missouri on the road with 8 players.. they bounced back and won a Nat’l title championship. I don’t care what nobody says I’m proudly watching LV basketball today, tomorrow, and for years to come. Rocking Top is rocking🟧🟧🎥‼️

No, can’t steal my joy. Nobody thinks that BUT YOU.
Tell that to North Carolina men college basketball team last season. Wasn’t no where near the best team in the regular season.. made it to Nat’l title game and loss by 3 points. S.Carolina women loss to Missouri on the road with 8 players.. they bounced back and won a Nat’l title championship. I don’t care what nobody says I’m proudly watching LV basketball today, tomorrow, and for years to come. Rocking Top is rocking🟧🟧🎥‼️
Im gonna watch as well. But sorry this was on the coach tonight. Turn it around snd pull it together. Long season.

How do you not call timeouts when you team is imploding in the 3rd quarter? That is, in my mind, coaching incompetence. And I hope the media
asks her about this. You know who else did the same thing--Warlick. She too would not call timeouts when her team was falling apartment.

The turnover problem, game after game, year after year, is a sign of weak/poor coaching. It's been a constant problem since Harper took over, and it's the biggest reason we lose games. 29 turnovers tonight. I'd say a number that big would be unbelievable---but it's very believable with this program. Horston, senior guard, has 7 turnovers. You can't be a senior guard and have 7 turnovers.

Agree about Puckett---strange.

We shot 48 percent for the game and lost by 12. When you shoot that well, you should win by 12. But we allowed osu to shoot 51 percent.

Meh. 2019-20 Gamecocks lost an early season game to 17th ranked Indiana. Finished with a 32-2 record and No.1 ranking.

It happens.

South Carolina has won 2 national titles in the last few years. We haven't been to the Final Four in more than 20 years.

Back to earth not with a bang but a whimper. And a turnover, or 12.

Silly me, I truly thought the days of comical serial turnovers and epic implosions were behind us. Guess not, and its very disappointing.

In the past, I've semi-defended Kellie's apparent aversion to time outs, but tonight was just ridiculous. What could it have hurt to take a sec and let everyone catch their breath? If Brian Rice is who I think he is, he asked her about it in the post game interview.

I'm not giving up on the season by any means but that was depressingly Hollyesque and KJH had one of her worst nights. We'll see where it goes from here. Pieces are there but we gotta be much better at knitting them together.

All the drive by posters in their told-you-so glory deserve the run of the board for the rest of the night.

This loss is very much fresh, and I'll definitely need to take more time to process my thougths, but as it sits:

Right now, I'm convinced that Kellie doesn't have the in-game coaching ability to get us back to prominence. This may sound a bit extreme, but we saw some of the same coaching (systemic) issues we've seen since she took over. Excessive turnovers, weird substitution patterns, lots of one-on-one play in the halfcourt, doesn't call timeouts to break the opponents' momentum, doesn't make effective in-game adjustments to counter, etc. It was a recipe for disater tonight, and it most definitely will get you beat against the likes of a Tara, Geno, Dawn, etc. The extreme of things either going really great or disastrous over the course of a game is an ongoing theme with this program. There's no in between, and this program needs a coach that can skillfully help a team navigate the ebbs and flows of a game -- especially against quality competition.

But building a healthy culture? Kellie's got that down. I'll give her credit for restoring the culture and stabilizing the program.

I still love the players and the program. Still a fan. If she can turn the tide and help this team reach it's potential, I will gladly eat crow. It's just my opinion at the moment.

Shocking stats from tonight’s game:

3 people had 17 of our turnovers, Horston, Rickea, and Powell.
Highest +/- number went to Rickea at +1, lowest to Walker, who fouled out, at -18.
Key got 4 fouls in 13 minutes, Hollingshead got 4 fouls in 14 minutes.
Both Sara and Marta played only 7 minutes each, and neither scored.

Tess made 3 of 5, 3 pointers, but Sara was not given much opportunity, and Justine did not play, so we made 4 3 pointers for the game.
Horston scored 20 points and got 13 rebounds, along with her 7 turnovers.

We play UMass this Thursday, and they’re supposed to be good.

Last edited:
They say that when things go bad they're never as bad as they seem. I hope that's true here, but from my chair, this looks real bad. It's shocking. I've been a defender of Kellie, but I can't defend this performance. We looked totally disorganized and clueless. It looks like it will take a heculean effort for this team to finish above .500. If this is a hint of the future, I am going to be very disappointed.

Reactions: travis929

VN Store

Back