Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

Now that I’ve vented and settled down, gotta give the Lady Vols a whole lot of credit for a very good season and taking the #1 team in America to within a lucky prayer of a shot or a winning free throw. So much they accomplished with a lot of criticism and angst. Pick yourselves up and practice more before hitting the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tourney. Win the big one and we will forget this game. SC has lost three games while winning over 100 last few years.

NET rating, strength of schedule, strength of conference (and finishing tied-4th in it), # of top 50 wins, # of top 100 wins, having our best player out for 4 of our losses, performance down the stretch (5-5, but 3 of those to the #1 team losing by an average of 6.7 points). Our resume is for sure good enough for at least an 8-seed, maybe a 7-seed. It will be close, IMO. A win today would've surely secured at least a 7 if not a 6-seed.
8 seed

Sure it was a lucky shot, no doubt, but you cannot allow your team to suffer a lost like that, because of poor defense...You need to guard the the inbound pass, stay with your man or foul if you have to...they still had one to give...You need to compete with effort not hope...LVFL 🧡

In that situation my high school coach would have called a timeout and put on a 1/2 court trap.

Tallest player on the inbounder, deny but don’t foul and play your man close enough they have to put the ball down when they catch and so that they aren’t square to the basket.

Last edited:
My understanding is that they still had a foul to give, no foul shots. Game would have been over.
you take the chance of a player showing a shooting motion then they get 3 FTs. They did the right thing just pure luck, sometimes you're the windshield sometimes you're the bug, A player that the coach would never give the green light to shoot a 3 point play odds where against them but luck was on their side, very heart breaking for girls that outplayed SC after going down 13 to nothing at start of game. but that's life.

In that situation my high school coach would have called a timeout and put on a 1/2 court trap.

Tallest player on the inbounder, deny but don’t foul and play you man close enough they have to put the ball down when they catch and so that they aren’t square to the basket.
You're hired!

Reactions: Deebowbear
She has taken on a snake-bitten aura as well. She has bad karma. Reminds me of Buzz Peterson.

Yeah I’m not for it. I think she’s been on the hot seat all season, has seemed testy and quicker to place blame this season.

White is a winner and likes surrounding himself with winners. Harpers just aren’t that caliber.

Now that I’ve vented and settled down, gotta give the Lady Vols a whole lot of credit for a very good season and taking the #1 team in America to within a lucky prayer of a shot or a winning free throw. So much they accomplished with a lot of criticism and angst. Pick yourselves up and practice more before hitting the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tourney. Win the big one and we will forget this game. SC has lost three games while winning over 100 last few years.
This!

I love our Lady Vols and what I’ve seen them push through these last few weeks is such a big improvement from where we started from. I can see this team making the final four now that I’ve seen them play SC so good, twice proactively on their home court advantage.

This forum has been the only place I could follow the Lady Vols, since Rocky Top Talk doesn’t. But, I’ve been coming here less and less, due to the unbelievable ugliness toward the players and coaches. Calling HCKH a “bitch”? That’s now acceptable here?
Actually unacceptable and downright childish. I don’t have the privilege, but that person should get a cool down period through a suspension

Honestly, you are unbelievable! In what world does a one point loss to the #1 team mean the coach should be fired! Stop being so stupid!
I’m not the one stupid I see what a coach we have, we lost no matter if it was 1 or 20 points but it does no good to tell you anything you know it all your problem is you know if she gets fired that it want be a former player you can and hope you ignore me and call all the names you want just can’t handle the truth just like some of the others

The fan base have to be realistic, it was a lucky shot that just happened to go for a player who has never made a three. Sometimes things like that happens. I can't blame the Ladies or the coaches for that shot. Let’s look at the positives, this team never gave up even when they were over 21 points behind they refused to give in. I just want them to play every game at this level. Well done Lady Vols.

This line of thinking just doesn’t make sense to me. Whether the shot was luck or not, what’s the purpose or logic in not having someone at least halfway contest it? When there’s only 1.1 seconds left, whoever catches it has to shoot and there isn’t enough time on the clock for an offensive board and put back. So why not put a hand in her face?

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
This is one stings bad and the worst part is we're going to see that shot all through the rest of the NCAA's whenever Tennessee plays and probably all next season especially when we play South Carolina and then during next year's tourney as well. It will be a hard slap every time they show it, but hopefully the team can use it for motivation, I guess.

VN Store

Back