Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE AT OLE MISS

Kk biggest problem is that she and Mccoy are overweight. They both could lose 20 or 25 pounds and be much better players. It hurts players in all areas when they are not in shape. This is especially apparent in female players. Look at Holmes for Texas and Cox at Baylor. When they shed a few pounds they look like different players.
That was my initial thoughts that if she got in shape she would be a far better player.

I don’t know if this will make much difference in opinion, but because I regularly see the players in person I’m always struck by how much thinner ALL the players look in person than they do on TV. A couple of posts are, of course, a little thicker than the rest and probably would benefit from becoming a tad leaner — but not TOO much leaner. I can look at longtime WNBA post Courtney Paris and know that size doesn’t have to be a hindrance. She uses her size to her advantage.

The top thing I liked about the game last night was that Tennessee was still trying to beat the crap out of them even when the lead got to 30 to 40 to 50 there was no let up like we have seen a lot of past teams do when they get a lead. Last night they were going at it for a full forty minutes and that was each and every player on the roster.

Exaclty
If you want impress me do what you're are capable of
want to impress me more
do it when it's not necessary

I don’t know if this will make much difference in opinion, but because I regularly see the players in person I’m always struck by how much thinner ALL the players look in person than they do on TV. A couple of posts are, of course, a little thicker than the rest and probably would benefit from becoming a tad leaner — but not TOO much leaner. I can look at longtime WNBA post Courtney Paris and know that size doesn’t have to be a hindrance. She uses her size to her advantage.

Maybe not lose,
but definitely
"tone up, the what you've got"

Exaclty
If you want impress me do what you're are capable of
want to impress me more
do it when it's not necessary

Maybe not lose,
but definitely
"tone up, the what you've got"

One of the reasons I am now "play Saunders over KK" has to do with their builds. Saunders is only an inch taller than KK but she plays much bigger. One issue, I just realized last night, is that KK's wingspan is disproportionately short for her height. With top flight b-ball players, the disproportion is usually in the opposite direction. Saunders is not a great leaper but she is also better than KK. All in all, I would guess that Saunders is effectively playing 6 to 8 inches (maybe more) longer than KK.

Saunders also has a much quicker release on her shot.

KK's lateral movement is terrible so almost by default Saunders is an upgrade on that dimension as well.

KK has improved her FT shooting and some technical parts of her game,. As one other poster pointed, she has improved her mid-range game--but even with that development, I ask could this team rely on her scoring points from 8 to 10 feet night in and out? Improvement does not mean that much if you are still subpar.

On the whole I see a player who has not put in the really hard work to improve her conditioning, quickness, lateral movement, and post skills. She is not the most naturally gifted athlete but she could have become a whole lot better, as Harris has done (who I am super high on because she clearly has put in the work).

KK needs to be the proverbial wide body player who uses strength and positioning to the get the job done. But she plays weak and slow. I know that sounds harsh but her performance this season has been abysmal and she seems to be wearing down as the season goes on.

With opportunity that has been in front of her for the last two seasons (she gets a pass for her Freshman season), it is really disappointing to see how (apparently) little effort she has invested to seize the chance.

Kellie has a talented freshman with a much bigger upside and hopefully, a better work ethic. I would start betting on that horse.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I am now "play Saunders over KK" has to do with their builds. Saunders is only an inch taller than KK but she plays much bigger. One issue, I just realized last night, is that KK's wingspan is disproportionately short for her height. With top flight b-ball players, the disproportionately is usually in the opposite direction. Saunders is not a great leaper but she is also better than KK. All in all, I would guess that Saunders is effectively playing 6 to 8 inches (maybe more) longer than KK.

Saunders also has a much quicker release on the ball.

KK's lateral movement is terrible so almost by default Saunders is an upgrade on that dimension as well.

KK has improved her FT shooting and some technical parts of her game,. As one other poster pointed, she has improved her mid-range game--but even with that development, I ask could this team rely on her scoring points from 8 to 10 feet night in and out? Improvement does not mean that much if you are still subpar.

On the whole I see a player who has not put in the really hard work to improve her conditioning, quickness, lateral movement, and post skills. She is not the most naturally gifted athlete but she could have become a whole lot better, as Harris has done (who I am super on because she clearly has put in the work).

KK needs to be the proverbial wide body player who uses strength and positioning to the get the job done. But she plays weak and slow. I know that sounds harsh but her performance this season has been abysmal and she seems to be wearing down as the season goes on.

With opportunity that has been in front of her for the last two seasons (she gets a pass for her Freshman season), it is really disappointing to see how (apparently) little effort she has invested to seize the chance.

Kellie has a talented freshman with a much bigger upside and hopefully, a better work. I would start betting on that horse.
Madtownvol, you are right on. If UConn had Emily, I believe they would be a better team. Geno would develop her into a good post player. Remember the big post player UConn had some years ago. I am not saying that Emily is Tina Charles or Rebecca Lobo, but she has a good upside as you said and hopefully a good work ethic. IMHO

Reactions: madtownvol
One of the reasons I am now "play Saunders over KK" has to do with their builds. Saunders is only an inch taller than KK but she plays much bigger. One issue, I just realized last night, is that KK's wingspan is disproportionately short for her height. With top flight b-ball players, the disproportion is usually in the opposite direction. Saunders is not a great leaper but she is also better than KK. All in all, I would guess that Saunders is effectively playing 6 to 8 inches (maybe more) longer than KK.

KK brings the ball down after receiving it high and almost instinctively does the power-dribble....(Not a fan of either)

100% Saunders:
  • doesn't bring the ball down after receiving it high,,,she keeps it high
  • gives a better hand signals for passes (hand down=bounce, hand out=direct pass, index finger up=lob or high feed)
  • needs to work on running mechanics. She runs pushing her feet forward instead of lifting them and extending the leg,,,She runs with no knee lift. She needs to be trained "how to run".
  • needs to learn how to be lighter on her feet. Lateral is not a problem if she is capable of the movements,,,its about training her how to become quicker with her feet...there are drills for this
  • needs to be taught how to be more aggressive in her posting ups...Key works to posts up on nearly every bringdown, Emily lets a lot happen after the bringdown before she goes to work

Harris,
I hope she gets more of a chance. She deserves it.
Use that kid,
until she proves she can't be used...

she has never got that chance here.

Last edited:
I've been talking about Saunders playing a bigger role since she first appeared in a game in the fourth quarter. I don't think there is a game that she has played in that she hasn't been an efficient player. I think she really understands how to post for the entry pass. I think KK will continue to play ahead of her this season because she is a junior and will keep her role as backup to Key. I think what Coach Kellie could do would be to cut her minutes some to get Saunders 8 to 10 a game.

The top thing I liked about the game last night was that Tennessee was still trying to beat the crap out of them even when the lead got to 30 to 40 to 50 there was no let up like we have seen a lot of past teams do when they get a lead. Last night they were going at it for a full forty minutes and that was each and every player on the roster.

I also liked the fact that the coaches were still coaching. You go back to the previous years in a blow out and the coaches were laughing, talking, sitting back, and not doing much. It’s hard for the players to remain focused when the coaches are not.

I also liked the fact that the coaches were still coaching. You go back to the previous years in a blow out and the coaches were laughing, talking, sitting back, and not doing much. It’s hard for the players to remain focused when the coaches are not.

YSAMF

= You Said A Mouth Full

Madtown I agree with you.....KK's lack of offensive talent is a major weakness to the LVs inside game....Several times this season she has just "flung the ball" toward the goal, with the expected result of another brick shot from 5 feet. It's just pitiful for a division 1 player to play so poorly 5 feet from the goal.

Saunders looks like she could develop into a nice inside player for the LVs, but due to the pecking order of who plays and how much, she is regulated to very few minutes of actual court time.

At this point, I would go in with Saunders as the #2 post behind Key. I am just not seeing much marginal difference between KK and Saunders on the defensive end and Saunders is clearly a better finisher. She has way more upside. I had high hopes for KK but she basically the same player she was a freshman.

As freshman, she was a player who needed a lot improvement in both post positioning, shooting, and conditioning. That she has not improved on the weaknesses while playing for a program at this level. man that is really, really a bad look.

Not fair to judge any player development under Holly, who never develop any player under her regime.
The players under Warlick on this team with the exception of the starting five , Zay, KK,Lou, and Ray Ray
would have never been given the care this coaching staff
give to EACH player or even to receiving playing time.
Think of all the players Holly couldn't develop that rode the bench and could have made a impact.
KK understand that it's in the best interest of this team
to have Key to start. Of course, one tree don't make a forest.
I believe with the way this coaching staff is operating ,
every player will be awesome in their own and the chemistry perfect just not for this year alone but for many to come.
Look at what they have done with lesser programs and players.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Not fair to judge any player development under Holly, who never develop any player under her regime.
The players under Warlick on this team with the exception of the starting five , Zay, KK,Lou, and Ray Ray
Think of all the players Holly couldn't develop that rode the bench and could have made a impact.
every player will be awesome in their own and the chemistry perfect just not for this year alone but for many to come.

Now
you're earning your Name!

Then how do you explain Kam Harris?

Players can get fit; that is on them.

VN Store

Back