Game Thread: #19/21 Lady Vols vs. #22/20 Oklahoma, Sat 1:32PM, WSN network

Coach Jumper

"the right words"
stats Indiana.jpg

Lady Vol Ball.jpg

Women's BasketballNovember 24, 2023
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- No. 19/21 Tennessee (3-2) will take on the second in a pair of ranked teams in the Island Division of the Elevance

Health Women's Fort Myers Tip-Off.
On Saturday at Suncoast Credit Union Arena in Fort Myers, Fla., the Lady Vols will face No. 22/20 Oklahoma (5-1) to close out play in the tournament.
The UT/OU game will be broadcast live by Women's Sports Network at 1:30 p.m. ET.
Tennessee enters following a loss to No. 21/19 Indiana (4-1) on Thursday night, 71-57.
Oklahoma, meanwhile, suffered its first loss of the season, falling to unranked Princeton (4-1) on Thursday afternoon, 77-63.

MORE INFO​

GAMEDAY TIMES & BROADCAST INFO​

• Opponent: Oklahoma
  • Date: Sat., Nov. 25
  • Tip-off: 1:32 p.m. ET
  • Venue: Suncoast Credit Union Arena
  • Watch: Women's Sports Network
  • Roku
  • Radio: Lady Vol Network
  • Online: Live Audio, Live Stats

• UT-OU STORYLINES
  • This will mark the seventh all-time meeting between these schools but first under Kellie Harper. UT is 5-1 vs. the Sooners.
  • These schools will be competing in the same conference this time next year, as Oklahoma makes the move from the Big 12 to the SEC.
  • Kellie Harper and Jennie Baranczyk coached against one another while they were leading programs at Missouri State (2013-19) and Drake (2012-21) in the Missouri Valley Conference.
  • Harper's MSU squad beat Baranczyk's DU squad for the 2019 MVC Tournament title, 94-79, setting the Lady Bears up for an NCAA Sweet 16 run that ultimately ended with Harper being named the head coach at her alma mater.
  • First-year assistant and third-year Lady Vol staffer Liza Fruendt played for Kellie and Jon Harper at Missouri State and vs. Drake in MVC action from 2014-18.
  • Fruendt scorched the nets for 46 points vs. Drake as a junior on March 2, 2017, in the MVC Tournament.
  • Harper and Baranczyk were each standout players during their college days, with Harper (Kellie Jolly) winning three NCAA Championships, three SEC Tournament titles and two SEC regular season crowns at Tennessee, and Baranczyk (Jennie Lillis) leading Iowa to three NCAA Tournament appearances and a 2001 Big Ten championship.
ADDITIONAL BROADCAST DETAILS
  • Kylen Mills (play-by-play) and Michelle Griffin-Wenzel (analyst) will describe the Tennessee-Oklahoma game for the Women's Sports Network broadcast.
  • The contest can be heard on Lady Vol Network stations and by audio stream, with Brian Rice providing play-by-play.
  • A link to the live audio stream can be found on the Hoops Central page or the schedule on UTSports.com.
  • For a list of Lady Vol Network affiliates, please click on the Fans tab at the top of UTSports.com, select Vol Network and then select the Vol Network Affiliates tab.
  • Air time generally occurs 30 minutes prior to tip-off.
HOW TO WATCH UT VS. OU
  • Celebrating its first anniversary this month, the Women's Sports Network is a free, ad-supported streaming television network and is the first and only 24/7 platform dedicated exclusively to female athletes. Available in over 95 million homes with distribution on Amazon Freevee, Fubo, LG Channels on LG Smart TVs, Local Now, Plex, Tubi, VIZIO WatchFree+, Roku and XumoPlay, the Women's Sports Network boasts partnerships with every major national women's sports league in the United States, including the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL), Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA), U.S. Ski and Snowboard, World Surf League (WSL), WNBA, Athletes Unlimited and many more. Its partnership with the Elevance Health Women's Fort Myers Tip-Off is the first such agreement between the network and any early season college basketball event. For more information about Women's Sports Network and how to access games, please go to https://womenssports.com/.
RECAPPING THE INDIANA GAME
  • No. 19/21 Tennessee couldn't match a hot-handed No. 21/19 Indiana squad that knocked down 10 threes, falling 71-57 in the Elevance Health Women's Fort Myers Tip-Off on Thursday at Suncoast Credit Union Arena.
  • Junior forwards Karoline Striplin and Sara Puckett led the Lady Vols (3-2) in scoring with 13 each on the night. Puckett added a team-high seven boards to the score sheet, and fifth-year senior Jasmine Powell was also in double figures with 12 points in her first game back from injury.
  • Yarden Garzon was the high scorer for the Hoosiers (4-1), pouring in a career-high 23 points. Mackenzie Holmes and Sara Scalia were also top producers for IU, finishing with 17 and 10, respectively.
POSTGAME NOTES VS. THE HOOSIERS
  • KARO HEATING UP: Karoline Striplin tossed in 13 points against the Hoosiers, recording her second straight game with double-digit points. It marks the third time the junior forward has tallied double figures in back-to-back games in her career. As a sophomore, Striplin totaled 11 points vs. South Carolina (2/23/23) and 12 points at Kentucky (2/26/23). In 2021-22, Striplin scored 10 against ETSU (12/20/21) and 12 vs. Chattanooga (12/27/21) as a freshman.
  • SARA IN DOUBLE FIGURES: With 13 points against IU, Puckett notched her fifth consecutive contest in double figures and remains one of just two Lady Vols in the past five years to open a season with five straight games scoring in double figures. She joins LVFL Rae Burrell (2020-21) in doing so.
  • WELCOME BACK, JP: After missing last Sunday's game vs. Troy with a wrist injury, Jasmine Powell made her presence known against the Hoosiers, putting up 12 points on 5-of-10 shooting, including a season-high two three-pointers, and six rebounds.
LADY VOL BENCH WARMING UP
  • Tennessee's reserves have outscored their opposition 68-16 the past two games, including 38-8 vs. Troy and 30-8 vs. #21/19 Indiana.
  • Against the Hoosiers, it was Karoline Striplin and Jasmine Powell entering the game and contributing 13 and 12 points, respectively, to lead the way.
  • For the season, the Lady Vol bench is outscoring foes, 25.4 to 14.8 on average.
INJURY TALLY
  • Rickea Jackson, Tennessee's leading scorer and rebounder, has missed the past three games (Memphis, Troy, Indiana) with a leg injury. She has not played since posting a 31-point, 17-rebound double-double vs. #18/22 Florida State.
  • Jasmine Powell missed the Troy game after suffering a wrist injury vs. Memphis, but she returned vs. #21/19 Indiana and contributed 12 points and six rebounds off the bench.
  • Avery Strickland has missed the Troy and Indiana games while being in concussion protocol.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA
  • OU has four players scoring in double figures, led by Skylar Vann (13.7) and Payton Verhulst (13.2).
  • The team is shooting 47% and scoring 85.3 ppg.
  • The Sooners average 20.3 turnovers per game.
ABOUT THE HEAD COACH
  • Jennie Baranczyk led OU to the 2023 Big 12 regular season title and back-to-back NCAA Tournaments.
  • She is a 2004 Iowa graduate.
OU'S MOST RECENT GAME
  • Princeton outscored Oklahoma in the paint, 46-28, out-rebounded the Sooners, 50-37, and out-shot OU, 47.8 to 34.8 pct., to take a 77-63 victory Thursday.
  • A 23-7 Tigers blitz in the first quarter set the tone.
  • Aubrey Joens paced Oklahoma with 13 points.
LAST UT-OU CONTEST
  • Kamiko Williams led four Lady Vols in double figures, as Tennessee defeated Oklahoma, 74-59, in Oklahoma City on March 31, 2013, during the NCAA Sweet 16.
  • Tennessee jumped out to a 44-27 halftime lead and held on for the victory.
WHAT'S NEXT?
  • After the Elevance Health Women's Fort Myers Tip-Off, Tennessee returns home for back-to-back games with No. 17/14 Notre Dame and No. 15/12 Ohio State on Nov. 29 and Dec. 3, respectively.
  • That means Tennessee is currently playing four ranked teams in succession and will have played five top 25 squads in its first eight contests of 2023-24.

Last edited:
Well the LVs have a better than average chance against the Sooners, however, they have to play good defense and own the paint and not make so many turnovers. Spears can not disappear, she must shoot. We have the height advantage and should control the boards on both ends. We also need Tess Darby to have a good day from the three. Puckett, Striplin and Powell need to stay hot offensively.

Tennessee...64..
Oklahoma 61...

Have to win this for team moral..
Lose this one and a downward spiral may happen....even when RJ comes back...
I fear that, too. The Lady Vols truly need to beat Oklahoma. And I don't care how many or how few points Tennessee scores for the game as long as they score at least one more than the Sooners. They cannot accept defeat tomorrow. It's do or die.

Going in with no expectations for what will happen in this game. Another team that can have a big day shooting the three and we can't defend it. Giving up an average of 9.4 a game and 43 percent shooting. Against the two good teams we've played 23 threes made on 54 attempts. We'll see how it goes today.

Going in with no expectations for what will happen in this game. Another team that can have a big day shooting the three and we can't defend it. Giving up an average of 9.4 a game and 43 percent shooting. Against the two good teams we've played 23 threes made on 54 attempts. We'll see how it goes today.
Be nice to see Tennessee players hands up on defense more.

We need to see Jill play like Kellie says she can which is a dominant inside player. Encouraged about Tamari looked a lot like her old self in last game except for conditioning to stay in the game longer than three minutes. She gets back in basketball shape looks like we'll have her back. Kellie needs to take their best three point shooter out of the game and run her off the line even if she gets a few layups for lack of help defense. Our defense stopping the three has to get better 43 percent is just out of sight to high. I know Tess will get her minutes today would be great if she could make a few shots instead of 1 for 9 last game. We certainly need to win not going to be easy considering our current state of play. Jewell got a lot of attention from Indiana on offense so other players like Tess are getting open you have to hit a high percentage of those shots.

Have to win this game. I know this team, even wo RJ, can be alot better and they simply have to be. The areas of improvement have been discussed and are obvious. Now just go do it. Huge game for morale.
This is a “did the message get through” game. Agree, they need it for moral moving forward to the next two games ahead of them.

Link to the Women's Sports Network through ROKU:

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Sad and depressing that the Rickea watch has gone from "is she still in the boot" "is she in shootaround" to "will we see her before SEC season".

At least it was mid season last year, after the UConn ass kicking, that I felt this bummed about the season and our chances.

Have to win this game. I know this team, even wo RJ, can be alot better and they simply have to be. The areas of improvement have been discussed and are obvious. Now just go do it. Huge game for morale.
Agreed. This is the only game in this 4 game stretch that Her Hoops Stats has us winning, and it's VERY slim at 80.0 to 79.3. Massey has us winning 77-74 (and beating Notre Dame by 1 and Ohio St. by 3). Then again, these prediction models are always a bit iffy early in the season, and especially so given players who have been in and out (like of course Rickea for us, Citron for Notre Dame, etc.).

I would like to see Key play 2 minutes stretches at the beginning and end of each quarter. That would put her at about 16 minutes per game.

Maybe later in the season stretch that out to 3 minutes stretches and that would be amazing to get her to 24 minutes per game.

Sad and depressing that the Rickea watch has gone from "is she still in the boot" "is she in shootaround" to "will we see her before SEC season".

At least it was mid season last year, after the UConn ass kicking, that I felt this bummed about the season and our chances.
You think YOU have it bad. Lately I'm re-thinking my entire life. "What was I thinking 45 years ago when I decided to make the Tennessee women's basketball team and Pat Summitt my lifelong sports passion ?" "Isn't there something else, ANYTHING else, I could do with my time that didn't end up feeling like a punch in the gut many times throughout nearly every season?"

"Who am I?" "Is orange even a good color for me?" lol

I'm at my sports fan Waterloo. *sigh*

I would like to see Key play 2 minutes stretches at the beginning and end of each quarter. That would put her at about 16 minutes per game.

Maybe later in the season stretch that out to 3 minutes stretches and that would be amazing to get her to 24 minutes per game.
Would depend on matchups. Any team w the slightest inclination to run would have a 5 on 4 every possession. TK can’t defend the rim if she’s not made it over half court.

I fear that, too. The Lady Vols truly need to beat Oklahoma. And I don't care how many or how few points Tennessee scores for the game as long as they score at least one more than the Sooners. They cannot accept defeat tomorrow. It's do or die.
Doo or thrive? 😉

At this point I say start Jasmine at the point she’s looking the best of the two against the tougher competition. Also, let Tess come off the bench and start Kaiya.
idk why they don’t try this. wynn, albeit hectic, is instant offense. she can get to the rim at ease, whereas tess just stands around the three point line.

Reactions: volfan__18

VN Store

Back