Game Thread: (19/12) Lady Vols vs. Georgia College (EXH)

Just to clarify, I am fan of Kara's. It is just that we have one poster who continuously draws an invidious comparison to Kara (a genius great coach!!) and Kellie (can't recruit, only wins when other teams are having bad days etc.).
I've understood that from the beginning more than one poster giving that vibe. The implication that she will be successful in year one, won't count last season since they didn't play much, and declaring her a top recruiter when there is no proof is what is being projected by a few posters. At the same time pushing a theory that Kellie has done less than Kara already more false news. I want them both to succeed and they both seem poised to do so yet anointing Kara this early is just ridiculous. I'm hoping she does better than the eighth place her team is being projected and I hope we do as well as we are projected to do this season.

Just to clarify, I am a fan of Kara's. It is just that we have one poster who continuously draws an invidious comparison to Kara (a genius great coach!!) versus Kellie (can't recruit, only wins when other teams are having bad days etc.).

Yeah proof is in the pudding. I also love Kara but I’m not making an assessment on her coaching abilities until we see them in action.

We’ve all seen star players over the years that just didn’t translate as coaches. I suspect she’ll do well but I think Kellie will prove to be the better coach long term. Kellie lives and breathes coaching, for Kara I feel like it’s a foray rather than a calling. Wouldn’t be shocked to see her coach 5 years then go back to broadcasting.

I think they’ll be middle of the pack in the ACC. Guard heavy but no rebounders, their big girls just don’t have that aggressive mentality they need.

Yeah proof is in the pudding. I also love Kara but I’m not making an assessment on her coaching abilities until we see them in action.

We’ve all seen star players over the years that just didn’t translate as coaches. I suspect she’ll do well but I think Kellie will prove to be the better coach long term. Kellie lives and breathes coaching, for Kara I feel like it’s a foray rather than a calling. Wouldn’t be shocked to see her coach 5 years then go back to broadcasting.

I think they’ll be middle of the pack in the ACC. Guard heavy but no rebounders, their big girls just don’t have that aggressive mentality they need.

My opinion of Kara is that she is one if the most brilliant basketball minds -- at ANY level -- in the game today ... but that the jury is still out on whether she'll be able to continue to land the level of talent top contenders need to sign to take them to Natty Land.

Everyone knows Kara is brilliant and skilled and competitive and honest and driven and experienced in everything it takes for a young woman to succeed both on the basketball court and beyond it. But what remains to be seen is whether or not Kara's uber-sincere, perhaps not-the-most-conventionally-fun-personality-type will resonate with today's young people over the long haul. Anyone with eyes and ears has observed that she comes off as so hella serious -- almost Yoda-like -- in a way that could, to some, be a turnoff.

All that said, Lawson is, in my opinion, entirely capable of succeeding as a head coach sooner rather than later -- IF she can continue to sign top-notch players.

As many of us know, Pat Summitt often came off as humorless, too. But those who knew the private Pat knew she had a fantastic sense of humor and a humility that made her lovably approachable. At this point, I don't think Kara Lawson would be described by anyone as "lovably approachable," and whether or not she trains herself how to become that type of person could mean the difference between winning championships and coming close.

IMO, the ultimate Lady Vols coach would be a combination of Kellie and Kara. They are both brilliant, but Kara is focused in a way that is unusually intense, and Kellie's personality is so vibrant and loyalty-inspiring that even mere team supporters are ready to run through fire for her. I have no doubt that mind/personality combo would win multiple championships, :)

Last edited:
Isn’t this our Game Thread? If anyone wants to discuss any other Coach besides the two that Coached in this game, take it to the Non Lady Vol (thank goodness) thread, and stick it there, please.

(This is not a specific comment on lvocd‘s post, but more to the earlier posts by others who may prefer a different Coach). This subject was started on page 14 of this thread and was promoted by our resident trolls.

Last edited:
Isn’t this our Game Thread? If anyone wants to discuss any other Coach besides the two that Coached in this game, take it to the Non Lady Vol (thank goodness) thread, and stick it there, please.

(This is not a specific comment on lvocd‘s post, but more to the earlier posts by others who may prefer a different Coach). This subject was started on page 14 of this thread and was promoted by our resident trolls.
after games, gamethreads are no longer "game threads"

Reactions: volfan__18

Thanks for keeping the order on a defunct game thread Rickster Jr...

16j1.gif

I missed most of this game but from what I've seen it didn't look great for us. Certainly not a top 20 level effort... But it's early in the season and we won't be the first good team to start slow

I missed most of this game but from what I've seen it didn't look great for us. Certainly not a top 20 level effort... But it's early in the season and we won't be the first good team to start slow

In this game Kellie pretty much let them play and did little coaching until the last 4-5 minutes,,,and I totally agree with it. In order to see what you;ve got in your playrs you have to challenge them and not save them until you have to.

It's a fine line though, you have to, as a coach, know when to pull the trigger and step in, otherwise if you let the team continue to struggle through the end, they will learn not to trust you to save them

Coach K pulled the perfect timing-trigger on this game

You're such a jerk.

Look at who liked your post. They always have your back don't they.

Here's one for ya. Think of the water squirts as feedback after one of his posts. Darth, of course, is the dog.

While I'm flattered you're obsessed enough to devote three(!) posts just to me, this thread is for the Georgia College game ONLY. Kindly take this off topic so we can resume discussing the exhibition game that took place over a week ago...

officer-doofy-salute.gif

Reactions: mcannon1
While I'm flattered you're obsessed enough to devote three(!) posts just to me, this thread is for the Georgia College game ONLY. Kindly take this off topic so we can resume discussing the exhibition game that took place over a week ago...

officer-doofy-salute.gif

We don't need your photo on display.

Keep on topic.....thats rich coming from you. Where's your troll buddy? Oh, that's right, he's probably teeing up another thread so you can slam the players and coaches. Great teamwork.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back