Game Thread: #17/19 LADY VOLS VS. TEXAS

It’s easy to be the starting PG when you are playing terrible teams Massengill will have problems when we play average to above average teams! That position is a major issue again.
True. But the problem playing a weak schedule is that it hinders growth. People tend to go with what works for them and are reluctant to change until it is shown there is a better way.

Perhaps you haven't seen enough. You see people who learn from their mistakes do grow and change. Do you know how long ago KJH was at NCSU? Where she was 70-64. She left there in 2013. Over 5 years ago. She took her team last year to the Sweet Sixteen. Like I said in my post, her team this year is 8-1 over tougher opponents than any the LV's have faced. You can live in the past all you want to, but the problem with that is you don't get to enjoy right now and the future.

Better stated she was FIRED in 2013....

Reactions: orangefloyd
I knew this would happen. The first loss and we have people going out of their minds. We may as well shut the program down because I got news for people. We are never going to have a perfect program where we beat everyone by at least 50 points, have no turnovers, hit every free throw, jump shot and lay up. Here is a novel idea. Why don't we let the season play out first and then we will have a better idea of where we stand as a team and a staff.

What was suspected at the beginning of the season came to light in the game yesterday. This team just doesn't have the shooters and the offense is gonna be challenged to produce enough points to win against the better talented teams. 60 points on 72 shots is a loss 99 percent of the time. You can't have an efficiency of 0.83 and expect to win any game. The defense held Texas to 66 points on 69 shots. That is very good defense but a loss when you can't even muster an offense that goes 1.0. It wasn't Texas defense we missed so many easy shots hard to imagine it really happened. Were gonna have to see how Coach Kellie plays this out you can't have players taking a lot of shots that can't shoot and you also can't tell them not to shoot and ruin their confidence. I think the way to go would be to develop a lot of set plays with Rennia and a couple others being the beneficiary of taking the shot. You must get Rennia more than 12 shots when she is producing 15 points off those 12 attempts and Key 9 points on 6 shots. Everyone else yesterday were terrible or some even worse like horrible. If we plan to have a winning season and no reason we shouldn't considering the state of the SEC then how we figure out a way to get our offensive up to a higher efficiency is gonna be the mountain we have to climb. You out rebound a team by 12 and get 9 more offensive rebounds and still lose means some players are missing shots that any player should be making. A bad shot is the same as a turnover and a missed layup or short jumper the same. We had 13 credited turnovers yesterday but our inept shooting made the real total more like 25 to 30.
I don't blame this Loss on shooting. Yes we shot like crap but we let two Run's happen without even trying to stop them. This is where the game was lost. It set the tone for the rest of the game. Those players needed a timeout and needed to be spoken to. In the years past under coach Holly warlick the girls were left out there to endure runs without a called timeout and the word of encouragement or word of reprimand or even a word! These are kids the grown-ups have to be on the bench. I'm going to be harder on Kelly because I am a coach and I know where this game was lost. Players win games of over ten points players lose games of over 10 points within five or six points it is a coaches Los. That goes for me that goes for Rick, that goes for Kelly that goes for any and every coach. It is a coach's job to see when the players need spoken to and it is a coach's job to speak to them.

We will find out a lot about our Coach in weeks to come and she has her work cut out for her. She has to try and develop 5 big slow posts that seemingly have 1 post move, she has to somehow take Burrell and Horston and teach them b-ball is a game of fundamentals not just athleticism, she has to somehow get her best player Davis to stop pouting half the game and most important of all she has to figure out how to develop Massengill into a starting PG of a top tier P5 instead of where she should be as starting PG of Chattanooga. I know it’s hard for some to accept but we are lacking fundamentally sound basketball players.

And who is the most fundamental on the team? Why yes, that would be the little Aussie.

Reactions: PG1
Miss State losing at home to unranked West Virginia was a shocker.

Not surprised. Mike Carey is definitely in the top 5 of most underrated coaches in the game. Program was worse than bottom of the trash can when he took over. I'm sort of surprised offers haven't come his way (maybe they have and we don't know it) but I suspect his demeanor may be the reason. Tends to have a potty mouth and doesn't give 2 F's if the players feelings get hurt. He would not work well at Tennessee that's for sure...too many pearl clutchers.

As a Lady Vol fan this loss hurt me. If you look at this week. # 2 Louisville. # 9 Maryland. # 25 LSU, # 10 Mississippi St. All lost this week with very good coaches. So this loss was hard to take, but it happens. We had a lot of positives about this loss to Texas. Is there a better turnover ratio to assist then Massengill?
Massengill is in the top 5 with an outstanding 4.0 A/TO ratio. Leading D1 is Kelly Campbell with an A/TO of 8.0.

I don't blame this Loss on shooting. Yes we shot like crap but we let two Run's happen without even trying to stop them. This is where the game was lost. It set the tone for the rest of the game. Those players needed a timeout and needed to be spoken to. In the years past under coach Holly warlick the girls were left out there to endure runs without a called timeout and the word of encouragement or word of reprimand or even a word! These are kids the grown-ups have to be on the bench. I'm going to be harder on Kelly because I am a coach and I know where this game was lost. Players win games of over ten points players lose games of over 10 points within five or six points it is a coaches Los. That goes for me that goes for Rick, that goes for Kelly that goes for any and every coach. It is a coach's job to see when the players need spoken to and it is a coach's job to speak to them.
I agree with what you are saying and am very surprised it didn't happen. I thought we should've taken one in the first half long before they built up that 12 point lead. The on bench coaching must get a lot better they get an F for yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTime
Here is why we lost. Period.
View attachment 244037
Even though Rennia was 4 for 12 she still had efficient game with 15 points on 12 shot attempts. That is a 1.25 and Key 9 points on 6 shots a 1.33 everyone else was terrible and Horston had her worst game as a Lady Vol. 60 points on 72 shots is pure crap offense.

Hard to influence the game while on the bench watching RB, JH, and JM do their clueless on O impressions!

Reactions: PG1
True. But the problem playing a weak schedule is that it hinders growth. People tend to go with what works for them and are reluctant to change until it is shown there is a better way.
The one thing we have to remember is that this schedule was inherited and so the new coach has to play it. I agree it sucks and is the reason when Holly got to the SEC the last couple years she couldn't win. I am expecting that the schedule will be upgraded, but we also need to upgrade the coaching if yesterday is any example of what were going to get. You got to stop runs get your team refocused even their coach had enough knowledge to know that when we took the lead.

VN Store

Back