Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

Agree, no matter what happens this season she'll get at least a couple more years minimum unless she voluntarily steps away. Also agree she did a really good job last year.

However, if this season continues on the current path and plays out as an embarrassing, very public fail, it's going to set the program and recruiting way, way back and make those couple of next seasons extremely difficult.

So I'm hoping against hope and all current evidence that she gets the bus turned around. That would make a great story.
If the team misses the tournament she should and likely will be fired

Danny White didn’t come here to tolerate mediocrity

Reactions: Jax_Vol
So, CJH was correct about the timeout count?

Really, in the Bahama's...anything can throw down.

For many years British Islanders have depended heavily on tourists for their living. There is an attitude of, " it's just your money honey," for not all but a large portion of people. This being the case it would not be uncommon, but a secret, as to whether one or more of the referees were on the take during the game with Gonzaga. No doubt there were gamblers on this or as in other sporting enterprises that would have been willing to pay for an edge. That being pay to illicit referees or referee. Before the game long odds of UT ladies winning would have been an influence for paying for increasing the odds in favor of Gonzaga privately. That is not to say it happened but there is lots of room to think it did.

And if Kellie confesses to being an ax murderer or a Russian spy or not liking cute puppies, she should and will be fired (particularly for the last one!) but the odds of any of that happening are pretty low, so not much point in the raising issue. except to project more negavol energy onto the board.

Last edited:
I’ve had a chance to watch the full game. This team is really good. In my opinion there a few things we need to improve before conference play.

1. Ball protection!!!! We are too casual on offense and turn the ball over way too much. Winning teams have great guard play down the stretch come March. And most of all they don’t have more than 6 -10 turnovers a game….watch. SC/ UConn/ Stanford
2. Defensive intensity!!! TN should be physical and play up on defense like literally lock down teams! Use our bodies we have a bench. Our opponents should be scared to play us because they know we will give them hell for 40 minutes straight defensively.
3. Offensive efficiency!!!! I love how Harper has added Darby to the starting line up that gives us a real threat from 3.We need more efficient 3 point shooters to get into the game and literally hunt for their shots, when open of course
4. Tamari Key!!!! She has to emerge as an offensive threat for us to beat any opponent down the stretch. I’m really disappointed in her November play. I have yet to see any aggression in her post play. She post once then gives up! Repost Tamari! Demand your team to give you the got dang ball! She has played tentatively and second guessed herself. Most of all when the ball does get thrown to her she sometimes turns it over. We NEED stronger play from her inside. Shes our only hope to get to a final four. No one has a senior post as big and as skillful as she is beyond SC. Our coaches literally need to run our offense through her. I mean she should be running the floor better, using spin moves, right and left hooks and most of all finishing defensive plays with rebounds. That’s just simple effort. If we find ways to make her a threat, have great guard play and defense…this team wins the SEC, goes to the final four and possibly win it all.

Now to win it all we need a toughness and offensive leader(s) to emerge. Horston and Rickea Jackson can be that but they seem like they want to be well liked by their teammates more than they want to win. They both should be aggressive offensively. Get to the basket, force people to foul you. That starts first with Key actually getting in the paint and making teams respect her. It would literally open our offense for more scoring opportunities. If they swarm key in the paint then we would have open 3’s and better scoring out of every position.

Last edited:
I have to admit Harper had a great game plan for Gonzaga. She’s a heck of a coach. Although they lost I think this team only gets better. I wish though that Harper would use her timeouts more to gain momentum in games. This team has shown they get satisfied when being up by a lot. They take possessions off. Those timeouts should be used to remind them to stay focus.

Last edited:
One final comment on this game was that their starters played 158 minutes and scored 61 points. Our starters played 133 minutes and scored 55 points. If we had matched the time their starters played and they scored at the same average as they did for 133 minutes they would've scored 67 points. Certainly no way to prove that the starters would've kept the same pace, but if it happened outscore their starters by 6 points. Their bench scored 12 points in 42 minutes. That would've made our bench drop from 67 to 42 so they scored 17 in 67 with 11 of those scored by on player that played 20 so everyone else that came off the bench scored 6 points in 47 minutes and this looks like a big problem for the team. We'll have to up the minutes of about six players to get better efficiency of scoring. We have a couple players that should be playing far less minutes than they are getting. Way way less.

She may not want to do it, but against the better teams she is going to need to up the top six players to around 170 minutes a game then have two or three play the other 30. I know this looks drastic, but when you have top six scoring 66 points in 153 minutes and the rest scoring 6 in 47 minutes then you can see where close games could be lost. To go one step further we had three players go for 46 points in 88 minutes and everybody else go for 26 points in 112 minutes. Three players going 17 for 37 from the field and everybody else 8 for 23.

We've got three sometimes four players really playing well offensively then it drops way off to an unacceptable level of play from almost every other player. I know she has to develop some players, but to prevent losses certainly needed to be totally done against the weaker teams. she is really needing to go strong against elite teams with just six players doing most of the game and a couple resting them along the way.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Stop with this horse manure!!
KJH has one of the most secure jobs on campus! You sound like someone who posts on the football board!! Fire Josh Huepel! His team laid a big egg against SC.

VN Store

Back