Game Notes

UCLA

Roster
Schedule
Game Notes

Go Lady Vols!!!

374566_20220914_WB_TeamPhoto_KL_0004__1__20uiY.jpg

Last edited:
UCLA hasn't allowed a team to shoot over 35% yet. Granted the competition outside of SDSU wasn't much.

Still, going to need to create good looks, get to the foul line. Cut down the TOs.

Reactions: travis929
UCLA hasn't allowed a team to shoot over 35% yet. Granted the competition outside of SDSU wasn't much.

Still, going to need to create good looks, get to the foul line. Cut down the TOs.

For every bucket that win by, I will allow a turnover.

For example,

If we win by 40 points, we can have 20 turnovers.

How 'bout that?

Yeah, but every player plays their best against us. I look for other players stepping up, shut them down.

Defense, rebounding and good guard play wins Championships

My two cents as someone who watches a lot of Pac12 WBB:

UCLA has very little height (I believe Bessoir is the only starter over 5'11"; two other "bigs" are injured) but a lot of very quick/athletic/talented guards, including a freshman whom many considered the #1 recruit for 2022 (Kiki Rice) and another (Jaquez; listed as a forward but really another guard), who is a terrific shooter who really shined in all-star games earlier this year. (They basically have been undersized for as long as I can remember.) Osborne can be really impressive, and she is just that more often than not, but she can also shoot them out of games, and they can have difficulty scoring. I imagine that they will press from start to finish, and it will be much more daunting than anything the Lady Vols have seen to date--so staying calm and taking care of the ball will be essential. Otherwise, it will be a very long afternoon.

Thanks for the scouting report. Good information, but I can't imagine a tougher press than what Ohio State threw at us. Hopefully, watching the film of that game gave us some insight on breaking the press. I didn't get to stay for the second game (they give us tickets for just our team's games) but UCLA struggled with South Dakota State yesterday, who's not exactly a juggernaut of women's basketball. Neither made the NCAA last year.

From what I saw yesterday, the Lady Vols are starting to find their groove, and it looks like Kellie has her starting five, who could have beat Rutgers by whatever margin they chose. I am amazed how much production we're getting from Rickea Jackson and Jasmine Powell. Jordan Horston, even though Kellie limited her minutes yesterday, looks to be back in form. With our roster, we have lots of options for situational substitution and Kellie got to try those out yesterday, resting our starters and still winning by 40 points.

We're still trying to work on better post play. In my opinion. if we can figure out how to get the ball to Tamari Key when teams are playing zone and packing the paint, we'll be pretty hard to beat.

UCLA has very little height (I believe Bessoir is the only starter over 5'11"; two other "bigs" are injured) but a lot of very quick/athletic/talented guards, including a freshman whom many considered the #1 recruit for 2022 (Kiki Rice) and another (Jaquez; listed as a forward but really another guard), who is a terrific shooter who really shined in all-star games earlier this year. (They basically have been undersized for as long as I can remember.) Osborne can be really impressive, and she is just that more often than not, but she can also shoot them out of games, and they can have difficulty scoring. I imagine that they will press from start to finish, and it will be much more daunting than anything the Lady Vols have seen to date--so staying calm and taking care of the ball will be essential. Otherwise, it will be a very long afternoon.

That scouting report scares me ngl hopefully we can make adjustments

Reactions: chuckiepoo
A lot of performances--for all teams, in all sports--are a function of whether a team is ready to play and focused. As we saw with
the football team last night, if you're not ready to play and not focused, you'll play badly. Talent, coaching, tactics are always huge--but so is
the ready-to-play factor. Let's hope we can maintain the focus we showed yesterday. I doubt we'll make 12 treys again--rather unheard of
for a Vol team, when did we last make 12 3s in a game? When did we last make, say, 7? But we'll see!

A lot of performances--for all teams, in all sports--are a function of whether a team is ready to play and focused. As we saw with
the football team last night, if you're not ready to play and not focused, you'll play badly. Talent, coaching, tactics are always huge--but so is
the ready-to-play factor. Let's hope we can maintain the focus we showed yesterday. I doubt we'll make 12 treys again--rather unheard of
for a Vol team, when did we last make 12 3s in a game? When did we last make, say, 7? But we'll see!
7 on just 14 or 15 attempts would be nice. đź‘Ť

Reactions: Rickster
Just like every game we've played thus far rebounding and turnovers will probably decide the winner. We were a minus sixteen against Ohio State 29 turnovers to their 13. What could we have done with sixteen more shots at goal not to mention the points they scored off turnovers. Again very disappointing that we lost the rebounding to Indiana and were minus five in turnovers. UMass we outrebounded turnovers were 18 for them and 17 for us and a nine point win. Rutgers plus 23 rebounding and even turnovers plus some extremely great shooting got us a 40 point win. We have to win the boards today they can't lose to a smaller team should win by a large amount, but Indiana wasn't that big either. We need to stay even on turnovers that is about the best I can wish for as very seldom do we force more than we make. First time the talent we have found a strong way to play together. Will they be able to continue it and play with the energy which was by far better than anything they shown this season. You have to give it all you got for the entire 40 minutes every possession is important offensively and defensively hopefully we have turned the corner find out a lot more today. Should be well rested considering just 24 hours since we played as four starters in played 18 minutes or less and Jackson just 20 minutes.

Her Hoop Stats (HHS) has Tennessee as roughly a 76-67 favorite on a neutral court. Our HHS rating is #26 and UCLA's is #67. (For comparison, Rutgers is #194 and South Dakota State is #27.)

As others have mentioned, looks like rebounding will be key, as UCLA is in the top 30 or so in most rebounding statistics. UCLA is one of the worst teams in the NCAA in fouls and foul rate so hopefully we'll get to the free throw line and shoot them well today.

Just like every game we've played thus far rebounding and turnovers will probably decide the winner. We were a minus sixteen against Ohio State 29 turnovers to their 13. What could we have done with sixteen more shots at goal not to mention the points they scored off turnovers. Again very disappointing that we lost the rebounding to Indiana and were minus five in turnovers. UMass we outrebounded turnovers were 18 for them and 17 for us and a nine point win. Rutgers plus 23 rebounding and even turnovers plus some extremely great shooting got us a 40 point win. We have to win the boards today they can't lose to a smaller team should win by a large amount, but Indiana wasn't that big either. We need to stay even on turnovers that is about the best I can wish for as very seldom do we force more than we make. First time the talent we have found a strong way to play together. Will they be able to continue it and play with the energy which was by far better than anything they shown this season. You have to give it all you got for the entire 40 minutes every possession is important offensively and defensively hopefully we have turned the corner find out a lot more today. Should be well rested considering just 24 hours since we played as four starters in played 18 minutes or less and Jackson just 20 minutes.

Need to build upon the momentum. UCLA is another guard oriented team that gives us problems. I liked the substitution pattern from yesterday. It gave the starters minutes together and the subs a lot of minutes without negatively affecting game flow. I don't know what the plan will be today but expect it will be similar to yesterday if UCLA is not careful.

Women's Basketball vs South Dakota State on 11/19/2022 - Box Score - UCLA

Should definitely be better rested.

Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back