Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols 63 - UCLA. 80

Kellie continues to do less with more.
Sadly, that is a great capsule review of the first part of the season.
This team has a lot of flaws, they aren’t as talented as u think.
Apparently we weren’t the only ones.

UT was ranked #4 to start the season.

UT was picked by coaches to finish 2nd in the SEC, Horston and Key were preseason SEC first team, with Jackson second team.

Key, Franklin, Jackson and Horston were selected to preseason award watch lists for their positions.

According to media and coaches, talent isn’t the issue. I value their opinion more than yours.
I go back and forth on this. Over rated or under coached? I'd easily say over rated if it was just us on this board with our head in clouds. But how did the coaches and media get fooled? They've watched these players for years. They know the talent level of Rickea Jackson. I'd be interested to hear someone like Michelle Voeple address what she got wrong and what she thinks is going on with the LVs.

And this season is no comparison to the 1996-97 10-loss season. That team lost 7 of 10 to teams ranked in the Top 12. This team has no unity. There is no competitive pride. And coaching is undetectable.

Me too! I was listen only the last two days and I enjoyed his calls. Well not so much today but not his fault.

What are you waiting on them for? To say "I told you so" a few million more times? Yes, you all knew this would happen. Congratulations. Do you really think anyone is going to "defend" the current play? The answer is no. Are we going to have to watch you guys,' end zone dance for 2 or 3 more years? Because that's how long til any change would be made, unless KJH voluntarily moves on.

I wishcast that she could still knit this team together. However, my concern is not just the losing, though I don't love that, but how we're losing. Our continuing ability to stink the gym up for entire games is alarming. Zero consistency.
That’s my concern as well, the way we’re losing. Normally our bad teams put together one good half and disappear completely the other, this team is plays bad the entire game when we’re losing.

Pretty disappointing. Too many lapses defensively.

To be fair they were really hot from 3. Sometimes you just hit a team on the wrong day. That can be very deflating to a defense. You’ve got to play through that and keep playing your game though.

Did not think our substitution pattern in the first quarter did us any favors. Against these better teams we cannot afford to dig a hole. Players have to communicate exceptionally well when subbing that many at a time and clearly that’s not happening.

They should know exactly who they are replacing and discuss coverage as they exchange.

Last edited:
It looks bad. She's putting herself on the hot seat. It might be as bad as it looks. It might not be. But It's only mid-November. Lots of ball to play yet. Let's let the season play out and see what happens before coming to conclusions. As someone posted earlier - one of Pat's NC teams lost 10 games.
Its not the losing. Its how they are doing it. Coaching is horrible. Not using timeouts to settle your team down has been a problem even last year. The way this team played last year expectations were through the roof. This team would be better off with less depth. Chemistry is way off. But fundamental lapses is baffling to me that they happen so frequently.

So far this has been a terrible weekend for Tennessee athletics. I wonder how many stomach ulcers developed during the men's basketball and football and the women's basketball games? 🥹
MBB won last week don't play again until next week. The football team fell off n it's face for the most part lack of talent and the WBB is just a disgrace, not even competitive against decent teams

I go back and forth on this. Over rated or under coached? I'd easily say over rated if it was just us on this board with our head in clouds. But how did the coaches and media get fooled? They've watched these players for years. They know the talent level of Rickea Jackson. I'd be interested to hear someone like Michelle Voeple address what she got wrong and what she thinks is going on with the LVs.
Rickea and Jordan are great but that’s about it, they over valued Key thinking she would command the paint and be a big presence which she’s not.

Do you think Voeple would just come out and say it’s coaching though?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And this season is no comparison to the 1996-97 10-loss season. That team lost 7 of 10 to teams ranked in the Top 12. This team has no unity. There is no competitive pride. And coaching is undetectable.

Exactly. That historical fact was thrown around A LOT during the Holly Warlick years. Neither Warlick nor Kellie's coaching is ANYwhere close to Pat's calliber - or the calliber coaching needed to get to FFs consistently. Many in this fanbase are so stuck in the past.

Reactions: pasadenavol
Not using timeouts to settle your team down has been a problem even last year.
Actually, she's been using them more often lately. And it has made zero difference in stopping the onslaught. Looks like she was right all along.
Rickea and Jordan are great but that’s about it, they over valued Key thinking she would command the paint and be a big presence which she’s not.
Actually, IMO Powell is everything we hoped for and a scorer. And I eat Crow because Tess has been much better than I thought she would be. Maybe the most improved from last year. So pieces are there, and should certainly come together better than the mess we're seeing. I agree our post play has lagged.

It looks bad. She's putting herself on the hot seat. It might be as bad as it looks. It might not be. But It's only mid-November. Lots of ball to play yet. Let's let the season play out and see what happens before coming to conclusions. As someone posted earlier - one of Pat's NC teams lost 10 games.

Welcome to the honesty side! Also the dark side. Pat had a young Holdsclaw on that team that lost 10.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So far this has been a terrible weekend for Tennessee athletics. I wonder how many stomach ulcers developed during the men's basketball and football and the women's basketball games? 🥹

Three University of Virginia football players shot to death on a bus after returning from a school field trip. Four University of Idaho students stabbed to death in their beds.

A lot worse things happened over the past week.

Its not the losing. Its how they are doing it. Coaching is horrible. Not using timeouts to settle your team down has been a problem even last year. The way this team played last year expectations were through the roof. This team would be better off with less depth. Chemistry is way off. But fundamental lapses is baffling to me that they happen so frequently.

Players can’t get into a rhythm playing this way.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
Actually, she's been using them more often lately. And it has made zero difference in stopping the onslaught. Looks like she was right all along.

Actually, IMO Powell is everything we hoped for and a scorer. And I eat Crow because Tess has been much better than I thought she would be. Maybe the most improved from last year. So pieces are there, and should certainly come together better than the mess we're seeing. I agree our post play has lagged.
Powell has been good but she need me to stop forcing shots up in the paint, she need to pass to the finishers instead.

Three University of Virginia football players shot to death on a bus after returning from a school field trip. Four University of Idaho students stabbed to death in their beds.

A lot worse things happened over the past week.
No disrespect but this has nothing to do with discussing UT athletics. Something bad happens somewhere everyday. I get your point though.

VN Store

Back