Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)

OKLAHOMA STATE

Roster
Schedule
Statistics

Go Lady Vols

Last edited:
I consider Okla St a slightly better team than Kansas lost some games, but played a better schedule. Hopefully we'll shoot better tonight. We don't have to make free throws if we shoot 50 percent from the field. We can do that by pounding the paint with mid-range and layups. I don't care if we shoot under 10 threes especially if were not making them. Get this win Lady Vols!!!!

I consider Okla St a slightly better team than Kansas lost some games, but played a better schedule. Hopefully we'll shoot better tonight. We don't have to make free throws if we shoot 50 percent from the field. We can do that by pounding the paint with mid-range and layups. I don't care if we shoot under 10 threes especially if were not making them. Get this win Lady Vols!!!!

Need to shoot better by any account.

We will have a height advantage across the board of 3”+ at pretty much every position. Should control the glass on both ends and hopefully get a few more offensive rebounds/putbacks.

Key to the game is Key. This a team that cannot guard her. KU actually had more big bodies to throw at her. She’ll need to stay out of foul trouble and on the floor. It was called pretty tight in the post yesterday. Thankfully we didn’t need quite as many minutes from her. Legs should be pretty good. OSU will not be able to score over her length, stay straight up like she has been and she will own the paint.

OSU plays quality defense but shoots poorly. Just don’t have the athletes to get over the hump against better teams so far. Keys and Fields can both light it up from the outside but both need a fair bit of time to get their shot off comfortably. Fields less than Keys. Keeping Fields in check has to be the priority defensively. She’s a player that can really go off if you let her get going early. Sometimes they’ll go small ball and run 5 guards. Yesterday their forwards/centers hardly played a role.

Our guards and Alexus should have more opportunities in the paint. Guessing we see a zone from them quite a bit. If she could hit a few from the high post it would really burn them. Also easier to rebound and more space to work on the oboards against a zone. Keyen will likely have a good matchup as well. She’s looking great and plays very physical. She’ll have a 6’0 guard trying to check her at times.

Can’t get too content to jack up shots from the outside because they’re probably going to let us a bit. If they aren’t falling we need to go away from that quick. We’re probably a 10 3pt attempt team max without Rae. More than that and we are just turning the ball over on long rebounds.

Making my prediction 66-48 Lady Vols.

Tennessee has started off their last few games shooting under 25% from the floor - they were right at about 19% halfway through the second quarter of yesterday's game. It would be encouraging to see them improve on that today. I certainly hope they do so. Need to get that first quarter funk solved and solved soon.

Tennessee has started off their last few games shooting under 25% from the floor - they were right at about 19% halfway through the second quarter of yesterday's game. It would be encouraging to see them improve on that today. I'm hoping they do so.

Yep, slow starts and strong finishes have been our MO. Be really nice to see us get going early offensively. That’s what Rae is always so good for, she can get a basket anytime and she’s a real spark plug.

Last edited:
This year we're shooting 38% overall, 19.2 from 3, and 56.4 FT.

Last year we shot 44%, 30.6, and 71.1 resp.

You might say, well, we lost Rennia and that's the difference. Not really. She shot 48%, 26, and 65, resp. , so she helped with overall and FT%, but not 3 point. And Kasi was not a very good shooter, either.

So this team should be a better shooting team than it has shown, given the stats from last year's returners.

My point: This kind of poor shooting is a team in a slump. I think it's just a matter of time before we come out of the slump. And obviously it will help to get our best shooter back when Rae returns. In the meantime, for our historically better shooters - Key, Green, Darby, Horston - keep taking good shots and they will start falling.

We are 5-0 now against good, solid competition despite missing our best player and shooting very poorly. That means the coaches are doing a very good job of coaching, and the players are doing a very good job of keeping a positive, winning attitude. It also means, barring injuries, this kind of play is the floor for this team, and the future looks bright as the shooting will get better and Rae will return. I'm buuying stock in this team.

Good analysis, VolBall09.

I've only seen OSU play once this season -- yesterday's game against WiscGB -- and I noticed the Cowgirls overall looked like stronger-built women and, IMO, maybe with a little less quickness than our quickest players. If we can use the extra quickness (and length) to do a good job of both boxing out and getting in their passing lanes, the Lady Vols should do well on the boards today.

As for Keyen, I believe she is the most physical post we've had in very long time, and I wish she were getting more touches. I also would have loved to have had her at Tennessee for her entire career and healthy. She's tough, and refuses to be outworked. Her timing in taking charges is amazing! I keep having to remind myself that she is actually still on the mend from ACL surgery and will likely be even STRONGER by the end of the season. :oops: Keyen can do no wrong among the friends I talk about Tennessee with!

Also, in the post-game video from yesterday, I enjoyed Keyen's assessment of Tess Darby and how, paraphrasing, "we ain't seen nothin' yet." As everyone has already figured out, Tess really must be lighting it up in practices. Hopefully we'll start seeing more shots fall in games. I believe!

Of course, I also believe Tess would benefit from some well-placed/timed high screens to slip behind to get open.

You might say, well, we lost Rennia and that's the difference. Not really. She shot 48%, 26, and 65, resp. , so she helped with overall and FT%, but not 3 point. And Kasi was not a very good shooter, either.

So this team should be a better shooting team than it has shown, given the stats from last year's returners.

My point: This kind of poor shooting is a team in a slump. I think it's just a matter of time before we come out of the slump. And obviously it will help to get our best shooter back when Rae returns. In the meantime, for our historically better shooters - Key, Green, Darby, Horston - keep taking good shots and they will start falling.

Horston was high scorer yesterday, but that was on 5 of 17 attempts. Alexus made 2 of 13. The only players who shot 50% or more yesterday were Tamari, Tess, and Green.

We’ll have to play better today.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

JMHO, If one is going to be accurate, current stats should be compared to November cumulative stats from previous years. Even then, the big variable is who we play. It's laughable to say Pat never had a team shoot this poorly (not saying you were the one saying that). We all know why he made such an absurd reach but at least if comparisons are to be made, people who are looking to slam the team should compare apples to apples. BTW, a common tactic of a Nega is to selectively pick what stats they want to use for the huge shock factor even if it is a lie.

Also JMHO, this team does better when their go-to player starts well. It was Rae and now it seems it's Jordan. When they score often and early, the rest of the team plays looser. Offense clicks better and shots are open somewhere in the progression. Shooting a little better would help.

JMHO, If one is going to be accurate, current stats should be compared to November cumulative stats from previous years. Even then, the big variable is who we play. It's laughable to say Pat never had a team shoot this poorly (not saying you were the one saying that). We all know why he made such an absurd reach but at least if comparisons are to be made, people who are looking to slam the team should compare apples to apples. BTW, a common tactic of a Nega is to selectively pick what stats they want to use for the huge shock factor even if it is a lie.
Thank you! That drives me crazy when they compare Nov to full year stats!

Is anyone else able to get the stream going on FloHoops? I just get the same "This Event Will Resume Shortly" loop but I see on ESPN that the game has started.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back