Game of Inches

Small averaged 1.7 yards on 10 carries, Hooker 1.8 on 15, Wright 5.2 on 9 but he fumbled again.
Why call more of what’s not working.
Pitts D line is their strength, running the ball is our weakness.
The plays that were called were working when our mistakes didn’t doom them.
Small’s average was because most of his carries were in short yardage. Goal line or 3rd down. Wrights average was more reflective of the potential. A QBs Includes sacks and scrambles.
Sorry, someone was telling me in the pre-season that Small was a great back.

It is certainly a game of inches, like when we almost intercepted two passes over the middle of the field which ended up being somehow caught for good gains for Pitt. I think Banks tipped both of them.

It certainly goes both ways, obviously there were a few plays that were very close to going their way, but that's just football at the end of the day.

Reactions: walkenvol
Agree. TN offense needs to be able to change it up with tempo. I don’t have the stats in front of me but it appeared the offense struggled after a Pitt defender was injured. And I don’t think there was any flopping. Also, mixing up the tempo will give the defense a chance to take a breath.

The offense itself was concerning. Hooker looked rough during the 1st qtr as he started out 2-8, as mis tosses were overthrown. The slant was there all day but I recall Hooker misfiring at least three times. He regrouped and played well in the 2nd quarter.

2nd half- I don’t know what the issue was. TN ran okay in the 2nd qtr but couldn’t at all in the second half. I was disappointed in the play calls in 3rd downs, as we ran the ball on 3rd and 4 or 5 twice.
Give Pitt credit as their D line pressured Hooker in the second half. I’m just concerned w the running game. Also, FL’ corners may sit on the short routes and take one the other way.

With that said, it’s easy for me to critique from my sofa. The Vols won the game and that’s all that matters. I just want us to improve, beat Florida, and then try to make a run for the East.

The funny thing I noticed in the second half was that our drives seemed to start out pretty good. We’d move the ball down the field maybe 30-40 yards and then would hit a wall. And when that happens, it’s really sudden due to our tempo. So we’d grab a couple of first downs and before you know it we’re in punt formation because of 2 quick runs and drop all in the span of 12 seconds (not really, but that’s what it felt like).

Don't forget about the interception - no interception - before half. With the defender being out of bounds by 1/2 inch, it allowed us to kick a FG and go up 7 at half. We were able to "steal" 3 points and the way the game played out, that was huge.
Nonetheless, it is easier to watch game film after a win than a loss, no matter how ugly.

Go Vols!!

The game of inches works both ways. Dropped passes and close calls on offense for us would have been game changers as well.

Getring the kick off a millisecond earlier when the defender was inches away...also a game changer.

It is a game of inches for sure.

Watched the game again this morning and in particular, the last play of the game in OT. The Pitt QB Patti threw the last pass about 12" too far in front of the Pitt receiver. 12" to the right, he catches the ball in stride at full speed and has only one UT defender to beat to make it into the end zone - which would have tied the game and forced a second OT. Two of our defenders clearly would have not been a factor in stopping the Pitt receiver if he caught this pass, who was surrounded by UT defenders but, also wide open.

Nail bitter of a game. Told my girlfriend to be ready to punch in 9 1 1 because my heart was nearly outside my body. Soooo happy for the team and vey proud of them and the coaching staff. Nice change for wanting to watch Sports Center on a Sunday morning. Congrats to a fine effort gentlemen.

Did you breakdown every play of the game like this? Cause if not your analysis is pointless as this happens on nearly every play. Of course if you change inputs you change the outcomes. That's obvious.

Did you breakdown every play of the game like this? Cause if not your analysis is pointless as this happens on nearly every play. Of course if you change inputs you change the outcomes. That's obvious.

Gosh yes, in fact, I have done an analysis ( w precision Powerpoint graphics) on every play since our National Championship. Anyone wish to see them???

We'd start tempo, they'd throw a flag. then pick it up and wave it off but Pitt had already adjusted and substituted by then. I've never seen a game with that many flags that had to be picked up and waved off.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Yeah. Game of inches. We made the QB feel like his life was in danger every time he dropped back and he missed his receiver in OT by inches. We "got lucky" by making our own luck. Pitt was lucky to even be in overtime. Ced dropped a TD pass, we muffed a punt, and then their QB accidentally threw the most pin point precision pass to get their last TD of the game to take it to OT. If he misses the pass by a few inches, the game ends on that play.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
You clearly continue to miss the point...

What is the point? Why do people get worked up over a post like this? I noticed the same thing. It doesn’t take away from the win.

Games this close are often a matter of inches. It’s a battle. Flowers interception was a matter of inches. A missed TD due to stepping out of bounds…inches. A big OT conversion for Pitt…inches.

Noticing it doesn’t take away from the win. The team who manages the inches and opportunities beat usually wins.

I was just happy to come out on the good end of some of those close replays. Seems like every close call in recent memory has gone against us. And we were just inches away from blowing the game open all day.

VN Store

Back