Game Day a bit salty?

All of this chatter and complaining will make officials feel like they need to over correct next time. Our style is being aggressive but believing Uros needs to be some type of enforcer outside of just fundamental tough defense can come back to bite.[/QUOTE

I think we can beat either team with any style IF Santi stays out of foul trouble. Plus we need two of four bugs to stay out of foul trouble. I look forward watching tonight’s game.

I watched it too, and I think that was shameful. Davis said that UT deserved to win and that seemed genuine. When Greenberg said it, it came across VERY sarcastically. He said something like 'Even I could coach that.' getting in an extra dig at Barnes. I remember that two of the three picked Duke to go the Final Four in their initial picks - I think it was Bilas and Greenberg - so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. They went on and on about how Arkansas could have been a 1 or a 2, and how great the win was against Kansas. I expected them to at least mention that UT was dancing around a 2 seed until ZZ went down, and that they have rallied around each other and are playing well. What was I thinking...
Among his many coaching failures, Greenberg had a chance to recruit Steph Curry (whose dad Del was a VT legend) to VT and took a pass. I laugh every time I see that guy portrayed as a basketball expert.

There were no more missed/bad calls for our advantage as there were for Duke. You must win a game despite any one call that you feel cost your team. The other team can match you bad call for bad call. The Vols dominance down the stretch left no doubt which team was better. Bilas and whoever can cry all they want. Duke is done.

Other than Uros who probably does need to dial it back a notch, the rest of the team just played tough defense. I didn’t see anything worth complaining about. Basketball is a physical game. Duke lowered the shoulder on drives, pushed off, and stiff-armed defenders - all part of the game.

The call that was egregious was moving the 5th foul off Roach so that he could stay in the game even though he was clearly the one who made contact.

These three are critics at a desk because they weren’t very good at playing or coaching the game, and they are just too lazy to be referees. Bilas, Greenberg, and Davis all need to come to grips with their mediocrity, and they need to be more diplomatic and less partial when they get in front of the camera and mic. Leave your fandom at home.
The analysts that were far much better at basketball in Chuck, Kenny, and Clark Kellogg gave props to UT for a great performance post game on CBS.

Among his many coaching failures, Greenberg had a chance to recruit Steph Curry (whose dad Del was a VT legend) to VT and took a pass. I laugh every time I see that guy portrayed as a basketball expert.

I forgot that he told Steph he could walk on @ Tech. I was a kid living in Roanoke, VA in the 80’s and recall watching Dell play @ VA Tech in 1982-1986. He was a great shooter who became better in the NBA.

Reactions: VAVol85
We will get called for fouls if we blow on the player next game. The refs will be looking for physical play and anticipating it. BTW, I don't think there was anything egregious about our defense.

This is my concern and most likely the reason these clowns went on about it—a setup for tight officiating in our next game.

If I were Barnes I’d blast the over the top ESPN commentary at my next presser as a psychological counterpunch.

Last edited:
Born and raised in North Carolina, grew up a UNC fan and watched Dook Basketball before Coach K became Dook basketball. After Coach K started Dook ball became to be in your face, body up, over the back on rebound old school Big East physical basketball. Every non Dook fan in the ACC will tell you Dook makes many fouls a game that don’t get called because “it’s with the body” and it’s Dook.

Yesterday UT took the Dook style of ball(body up, in your face) to a bunch of freshman that haven’t learned to play Coach K style yet and lost.

The media always defends Dook and the length they will go has no end. If you don’t believe me, watch the video

Dook has always been dirty and Uros has become that too but the rest of the team got called for tick tack fouls yesterday that Dook got away with.

The Christian Laether stomp and the Hansbrough play above tells you what Dook is about And how far the media will go to dfend them. Kentucky Basketball: Revisiting Christian Laettner's "Stomp." Was it Really? - A Sea Of Blue

And yes I am all UT now.

Thanks for reminding me why I had no love lost for Billy Packer 🙂

I think sometimes commentators struggle to fill the time and be relevant All of them had Duke blowing out the Vols, so they had to save some face.

Last edited:
Reactions: brockytop
I just caught the end of the TV/Duke segment on Game Day. Bilas & Davis stated it was a poorly officiated game as it was way too physical.

Davis said “that crew” should not be allowed to officiate another game in the tournament. He did say TN played better than Duke and deserved the win.

Davis said the winner of FL Atlantic game plays TN. Bilas sarcastically chimed in and said the winner “better buy helmets” for that game.

I wonder if they would’ve commented had Dook won the game?

Go Vols!

Friend, I’m surprised that any of us still even listen to any of the announcers of any game we play in any sport (with the possible exception of baseball). I’m talking about whatever bozos are onSEC Network, ESPN, CBS, whoever, calling our games. We stopped doing that a couple years ago. First, too many of them don’t know what they are taking about, even the so-called experts. And the ones who do have some expertise or experience in the sport are so openly biased again Tennessee that it turns my stomach. Remember the Orange Bowl, guys? Another recent example. I didn’t listen to a word of the CBS guys yesterday because they’re just not worth it. We’ll sometimes listen to the Vol Network and put up with the delay as Kesling and Co. are at least competent and not embarrassed by the orange hair on their chests.

If the network faces were actually competent and trying to call a game fairly with some evenhanded insights, I’d listen to them. But I’ve given up on them. Silence is preferable to their laughable BS.

Watched ESPN selection Sunday program. Of course Jay Bilas picked Duke to get to the Champioship Game and lose to Alabama. I don't remember the other analysts specific predictions but in general they all had Duke getting to the FF. So it was a shock to their "expertise" to be so wrong. Jay actually spent his brief segment talking about Tennessee's ineffectiveness without ZZ. It was a fair take. Now they need to own it and not blame officiating.

Coach Barnes knew this type of analysis was inevitable. He said during his press conference (after the game) that we want to play within the rules. He said Uros was very emotional. Wanted to win, etc,. He also said during his in-game interview "We played well once we got through the nonsence". However, coach Barnes put Uros back in the game after Uros calmed down. I think Coach Barnes realizes Uros is a difference maker as a rim protector an intimidator.

I always thought Bilas was objective....almost to a fault doing the Duke TarHeels games. I'm sure he over compensated knowing ears would be listening for bias for Duke. I've never noticed pro Duke bias from him...but it appears some of you have.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I always thought Bilas was objective....almost to a fault doing the Duke TarHeels games. I'm sure he over compensated knowing ears would be listening for bias for Duke. I've never noticed pro Duke bias from him...but it appears some of you have.

It was noticeable this morning but he will have to deal with it. His team lost.

Duke fans a so bitter. Its pathetic. They simply weren't tough enough. They should be mad at their coach for enabling flopping. Toughen up a bit. Sorry you all can't handle the heat. Man up and get in the gym, instead of relying on twig stick freshman to carry the team.

It appears that Davis and Bilas, like Dook, are a bunch of over-privileged puds…
And yes, had Dook won, there would be extended coverage and praise of the accomplishment of taking down a team from the mean SEC.
Plus they would have mentioned the new coach did it just like Coach K did back in the day.

For only the 4th time since like 1976 has Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas not had at least one of the 4 as a Sweet 16 representative. That's hard to swallow for the blue blood elite. Different time, different game. I think most of the rest of the country is enjoying it.

VN Store

Back