'24 GA WR Mike Matthews (Tennessee)

FIVE-STAR WR MIKE MATTHEWS, LILBURN, GA.

Previous 247Sports ranking: No. 10 overall prospect, No. 4 wide receiver

Updated 247Sports ranking: No. 19 overall prospect, No. 7 wide receiver

Matthews was in attendance for Tennessee’s win against Alabama in October and has been back to campus twice since then. He visited for a junior day in January and watched a spring practice in April. His schedule for official visits in June includes stops at Clemson, Georgia, Southern California and Tennessee.

Hope he holds off on his commitment for a bit. If he does it soon he’ll be an 87 three star by signing day.

I mean, I hate to be that guy but it’s comical how so many guys just start dropping once they’re trending to Tennessee.

And it’s completely unfair. Now does him dropping mean he is boas good of a player? No not imo. But how do we know Matthews doesn’t take pride in him being a 5*? Maybe he doesn’t care but maybe he does?

I don’t have an issue with recruits rising or falling on the rankings when they are actually playing. I get that. Bit dropping kids during camps and practice? That’s dumb. And people can say all they want about conspiracies. But it happens year after year with us. A highly rated prospect starts to show interest and next thing you know he starts dropping in the rankings. Was it Hobbs last year that fell pretty good?

To be fair Matthews had the additional evaluation of what he could do at safety along with his WR abilities last update I’m pretty sure. Now it’s just WR since that’s what Matthews is focused on playing

Random, I could have swore I saw you saying we were recruiting this kid as a DB, I thought to myself “wow that would be the dumbest ****ing thing ever” (could have it mixed with another Matthews though)

glad to see he is focused on WR

And it’s completely unfair. Now does him dropping mean he is boas good of a player? No not imo. But how do we know Matthews doesn’t take pride in him being a 5*? Maybe he doesn’t care but maybe he does?

I don’t have an issue with recruits rising or falling on the rankings when they are actually playing. I get that. Bit dropping kids during camps and practice? That’s dumb. And people can say all they want about conspiracies. But it happens year after year with us. A highly rated prospect starts to show interest and next thing you know he starts dropping in the rankings. Was it Hobbs last year that fell pretty good?
You’re FOS and you need something to be outraged about so you complain about recruiting services victimizing Tennessee because some prospects dropped.

They like some players better than others, deal with it. They don’t drop because they favor Tennessee. You just whine and moan about it because it makes you feel better. No one cares if it’s fair or not. In case you haven’t noticed, life isn’t fair. Funny how you bring this nonsense up when it’s most convenient for you, and totally ignore the fact that Nico finished the year ranked #1 overall on on3.

You’re FOS and you need something to be outraged about so you complain about recruiting services victimizing Tennessee because some prospects dropped.

They like some players better than others, deal with it. They don’t drop because they favor Tennessee. You just whine and moan about it because it makes you feel better. No one cares if it’s fair or not. In case you haven’t noticed, life isn’t fair. Funny how you bring this nonsense up when it’s most convenient for you, and totally ignore the fact that Nico finished the year ranked #1 overall on on3.
Who are you referring to?

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood

Get over yourself. I can give example after example after example of guys getting dropped after either committing to TN or shows real interest. I really don’t care if believe it or not. Nobody cares about your opinion. Least of all me. Nice retort though.

Just a small Memorial Day weekend nugget on Matthews. I still really like Tennessee’s position for him. If anything, think the margin has increased between UT and the field. USC and Clemson are vying for 2nd place at this point, UT’s to lose.

Secondly, want to say thank you on here to all who have served (and families) and a special thank you to those who have lost a member of your family. Their sacrifice is not unnoticed, very much appreciated and honored. I’m from a military family of sorts as well, both dad/granddad/brothers have served in wars. THANK YOU

Just a small Memorial Day weekend nugget on Matthews. I still really like Tennessee’s position for him. If anything, think the margin has increased between UT and the field. USC and Clemson are vying for 2nd place at this point, UT’s to lose.

Secondly, want to say thank you on here to all who have served (and families) and a special thank you to those who have lost a member of your family. Their sacrifice is not unnoticed, very much appreciated and honored. I’m from a military family of sorts as well, both dad/granddad/brothers have served in wars. THANK YOU
Who is this SECKing? Is this the former LV? Or Georgia tomfoolery?

Reactions: lenoxvol

LOL... you don't think subjectivity and bias play into these rankings? @BigOrangeTrain and I have had some epic rounds over how accurate/inaccurate the recruiting rankings are. But if you think these moves are because some committee sat down and objectively determined that Matthews should move down and someone else should move up... you couldn't be more wrong.

Why do you think at this time of year with essentially no new information that Wingo would move up significantly and Matthews move down? Did Matthews somehow become a worse player?

For the players being hotly pursued by UGA, Bama, OSU, et al to move up... someone has to move down. There's two sides. There is the lack of respect/credibility for UT's staff and the high respect/credibility given to others. You could even argue it is "reasonable" since those programs have proven the ability to find talent and win.

Based on what I've read, Matthews wants to leave Georgia to play CFB. That's a mark against him in these rankings if true because UGA won't prioritize him... and UGA's opinion on a kid, particularly a kid from GA, carries A LOT of weight with the recruiting site guys who do the rankings. Regardless of the reason, if UGA isn't chasing an in-state kid then that hurts his ranking.

Last edited:

Thanks Rusty.

To be fair Matthews had the additional evaluation of what he could do at safety along with his WR abilities last update I’m pretty sure. Now it’s just WR since that’s what Matthews is focused on playing
Why would being flexible hurt a kids ranking? That makes no sense.

VN Store

Back