'19 GA S Kwauze Pak Garland (PWO Commit)

Need @Devo182 to clarify but I am nearly certain they have to be here at least one full year and maybe two or they count against the 25

That is the rule, which makes this confusing. Seems no one knows how, but the 247 guys said they must have found a wrinkle or rule change, because no way they used up the 2 spots on IM and Garland, especially when they could just wait till Summer/Fall and give it to em once 1 year has passed.

That is the rule, which makes this confusing. Seems no one knows how, but the 247 guys said they must have found a wrinkle or rule change, because no way they used up the 2 spots on IM and Garland, especially when they could just wait till Summer/Fall and give it to em once 1 year has passed.
The only wrinkle I could think of was maybe all the medical hardships from last year have enabled them to back count 2 or 3 scholarships.

Reactions: VFLBerg
Relief in sight. Moco did all the work for ya!

15.5.1.2 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill. A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that
he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a
counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness. - We should get back Tanner & McBride counters. This will allow us to potentially back count them if we need to use an initial counter with anyone on the team currently that came in for the 2018 or 2019 class.

15.5.6.4.2 Voluntary Withdrawal From the Institution During the Academic Year. [FBS/ FCS] An institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws (e.g., transfer, official religious mission) from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete, beginning with the ensuing term (e.g., spring semester, winter or spring quarter) without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year. The departing student-athlete’s aid may be canceled upon the institution’s receipt of a signed statement from the student-athlete releasing the institution from its obligation to provide institutional financial aid and verifying the voluntary nature of the withdrawal. If such a statement is received, a hearing opportunity (per Bylaw 15.3.2.3) is not required. (Adopted: 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18) - We had how many transfers this season? Yeah those are all "counters" we can use now without them being initial counters (counting against a 25 class limit).

My belief is they will only be on $ this one semester and then back to being a walk on

My belief is they will only be on $ this one semester and then back to being a walk on
You’ll be so involved in other topics when that doesn’t happen. 😏 I know you keep railing on and on about “examples”. In this Twitter/message board world, if a football player receives a scholarship and then it gets yanked with him remaining on the team, you SERIOUSLY believe we wouldn’t hear about it? I’ma going to tell you lil professional contrarian what’s going to happen. 3 years from now? If all 3 are still on the team? They’ll ALL still have their scholarships. And you’ll be off arguing a contrived issue...since you’ve sworn to never again pen a pity seeking farewell letter and never leave. 😎

The only wrinkle I could think of was maybe all the medical hardships from last year have enabled them to back count 2 or 3 scholarships.
While this would allow us to fit them in asap for a Fall scholarship, it doesn't answer why we would give up class spots. If we truly had a few spots open, then we could count forward and sign more this year. The PWOs would still get their scholarships in the Summer or Fall and not have to count at all. This would be a pretty egregious mistake imo.

Relief in sight. Moco did all the work for ya!

15.5.1.2 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill. A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that
he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a
counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness. - We should get back Tanner & McBride counters. This will allow us to potentially back count them if we need to use an initial counter with anyone on the team currently that came in for the 2018 or 2019 class.

15.5.6.4.2 Voluntary Withdrawal From the Institution During the Academic Year. [FBS/ FCS] An institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws (e.g., transfer, official religious mission) from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete, beginning with the ensuing term (e.g., spring semester, winter or spring quarter) without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year. The departing student-athlete’s aid may be canceled upon the institution’s receipt of a signed statement from the student-athlete releasing the institution from its obligation to provide institutional financial aid and verifying the voluntary nature of the withdrawal. If such a statement is received, a hearing opportunity (per Bylaw 15.3.2.3) is not required. (Adopted: 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18) - We had how many transfers this season? Yeah those are all "counters" we can use now without them being initial counters (counting against a 25 class limit).

💥 Boom.

Reactions: butchna
That would affect the 85, but they would still typically count toward a class. Any initial scholarship signing is an IC.

That would affect the 85, but they would still typically count toward a class. Any initial scholarship signing is an IC.

I think that’s the loophole. They can be on $ for just one semester and then back off and they wouldn’t count. Just a guess

At least that would keep the integrity of the rule that was set in place to keep schools from. Promising scholarships after walking on for one semester anyway

I think that’s the loophole. They can be on $ for just one semester and then back off and they wouldn’t count. Just a guess

At least that would keep the integrity of the rule that was set in place to keep schools from. Promising scholarships after walking on for one semester anyway

Butchna just posted the rule. We’ve had people leave that were on scholarship hence why we were able to give scholarships and it not count against any class. Dunno why that is so hard to understand.

Butchna just posted the rule. We’ve had people leave that were on scholarship hence why we were able to give scholarships and it not count against any class. Dunno why that is so hard to understand.

Because the rule he posted doesn’t apply. It doesn’t say what you think it does. It doesn’t say anything about not being an IC for the next class while other rules clearly state they do count in the next class

While this would allow us to fit them in asap for a Fall scholarship, it doesn't answer why we would give up class spots. If we truly had a few spots open, then we could count forward and sign more this year. The PWOs would still get their scholarships in the Summer or Fall and not have to count at all. This would be a pretty egregious mistake imo.

I suspect it's because we can give those scholarships to other players without penalty, but not sign over 25 the next class... so might as well give them to walk ons that deserve it.

*Not an expert... just a guess.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Because the rule he posted doesn’t apply. It doesn’t say what you think it does. It doesn’t say anything about not being an IC for the next class while other rules clearly state they do count in the next class

An institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws (e.g., transfer, official religious mission) from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete, beginning with the ensuing term (e.g., spring semester, winter or spring quarter) without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year.

This literally says exactly what I think it says. The scholarship can be given to a walk-on and there does not have to be any type of hearing through the NCAA and that second athlete fills the Counter with no repercussions to the counter for the next year. I don’t understand why this is hard to read and comprehend.

An institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws (e.g., transfer, official religious mission) from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete, beginning with the ensuing term (e.g., spring semester, winter or spring quarter) without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year.

This literally says exactly what I think it says. The scholarship can be given to a walk-on and there does not have to be any type of hearing through the NCAA and that second athlete fills the Counter with no repercussions to the counter for the next year. I don’t understand why this is hard to read and comprehend.

Lol

No it doesn’t. It only says you can replace one of the 85 even if you don’t have room on the previous 25. Other rules clearly state they count forward

Here is one such rule. There is another regarding non recruited players that says virtually the same

ed. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
15.5.6.3.3 Recruited Student-Athlete, Aid Received After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A recruited stu- dent-athlete (per Bylaw 15.02.8) (including a student-athlete who was not a qualifier) who first receives athletically related financial aid after the student-athlete’s first academic year in residence shall be an initial counter for that academic year in which the aid is first received, if such aid is received during the fall term. However, such a student-athlete who first receives athletically related financial aid in the second or third term of an academic year may be considered an initial counter during the academic year in which aid was first received or the next academic year. In either case, the student-athlete shall be included in the institu- tion’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/3/06, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Lol

No it doesn’t. It only says you can replace one of the 85 even if you don’t have room on the previous 25. Other rules clearly state they count forward

Here is one such rule. There is another regarding non recruited players that says virtually the same

ed. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
15.5.6.3.3 Recruited Student-Athlete, Aid Received After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A recruited stu- dent-athlete (per Bylaw 15.02.8) (including a student-athlete who was not a qualifier) who first receives athletically related financial aid after the student-athlete’s first academic year in residence shall be an initial counter for that academic year in which the aid is first received, if such aid is received during the fall term. However, such a student-athlete who first receives athletically related financial aid in the second or third term of an academic year may be considered an initial counter during the academic year in which aid was first received or the next academic year. In either case, the student-athlete shall be included in the institu- tion’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/3/06, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Good lord man this is in regards to an individual receiving financial aid not regarding a scholarship that was essential given back to the school from an athlete who “voluntarily released themselves from the institution” how hard headed are you?

The rule provided by @butchna states that if an athlete “releases themselves from the institution that the scholarship can then be given to another athlete without effecting counters”

Reactions: butchna
The rule provided by @butchna states that if an athlete “releases themselves from the institution that the scholarship can then be given to another athlete without effecting counters”

That is false. It only says they domt have to initial counters on that current year. That just makes it possible to give $ to a kid if the 25 was full that year. You have to count it forward

Reactions: Devo182
Just need that determination to hold on to the dead tree.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I suspect it's because we can give those scholarships to other players without penalty, but not sign over 25 the next class... so might as well give them to walk ons that deserve it.

*Not an expert... just a guess.
I doubt we'd waste them on walkons, we'd sign 30 or however many that allowed us. Just play that scenario out across the country, every nasty corch would get 5 kids to transfer and sign 30 every year. It just doesn't happen because it's not a thing.

I doubt we'd waste them on walkons, we'd sign 30 or however many that allowed us. Just play that scenario out across the country, every nasty corch would get 5 kids to transfer and sign 30 every year. It just doesn't happen because it's not a thing.

Ya, that's what I said... I thought you were suggesting that, had our coaches not granted these scholarships, they could have recruited 3 more players in the 2020 cycle... I was positing that that's not possible, so you might as well grant them to deserving walk ons if you have the room (against the 85), which we definitely do.

VN Store

Back