'20 GA RB Jahmyr Gibbs (Bama Commit)

My Dad got recruited by Bama in the 50's, they gave him money and a few things like suits. They received a fine and probation after my Dad ended upon turning in at SEC in Birmingham after fearing losing scholarship ride. Made front page news in all the Alabama papers.

Ended playing for Jordan at AU before transferring to UC.
Wow..

That is a wild story

I was just reflecting on the under the table stuff that has been going on forever. Being legally over the table does not diminish the loopholes that will still occur
Guess we are just old farts that expect better purity of the game, when it has never been there in first place, but there are degrees

All about money now. Amateurism is almost dead. I never will forget my Father saying why he quit football after a year at UC..."it just wasn't fun anymore"

I was just reflecting on the under the table stuff that has been going on forever. Being legally over the table does not diminish the loopholes that will still occur
Guess we are just old farts that expect better purity of the game, when it has never been there in first place, but there are degrees

All about money now. Amateurism is almost dead. I never will forget my Father saying why he quit football after a year at UC..."it just wasn't fun anymore"
I mean I have always known that kids get a few perks, but money is ruining the college game now. It is all about who is willing to pay the most.

I’ve heard the kids character may have been in question. Very conceded and not very friendly to is the rumors I was hearing from some that had dealings with him. He played in the high school across the river from my county about 20 mins away.
Very false rumors.. Great kid and never a discipline issue. He was a student and athlete of mine at Dalton..

Very false rumors.. Great kid and never a discipline issue. He was a student and athlete of mine at Dalton..
Yeah. I’ve heard the same. He seems to be a good kid. I wish him luck unless it’s at a rival school.

Pruitt soured him on Tennessee and I know some say that’s a dumb excuse since he isn’t here but when you get turned off to a place it’s hard to change your opinion on it when you have so many options.

I find it odd that he would want to go to Alabama. They have, I believe, 3 RBs coming back that were injured this year that were good enough to be playing before the injuries. They also have commits from a 5 star and 4 star RB. A lot of competition for a transfer.

Last edited:
I don’t

I don’t understand and why Pilot Oil or Dish network can’t make something happen with commercials or something. UT has some very wealthy donors that own very successful business.

Yeah, the Dish thing doesn’t make sense to me. Even if Ergen is personally frugal, getting popular college players for advertising is just a business investment. It’s not like your company would just be burning money or something.

Didn’t the Haslams sell Pilot?

Yeah, the Dish thing doesn’t make sense to me. Even if Ergen is personally frugal, getting popular college players for advertising is just a business investment. It’s not like your company would just be burning money or something.

They sold off the neighborhood markets locally, not the nationwide Pilot Flying J truck stops stations.

I don’t

I don’t understand and why Pilot Oil or Dish network can’t make something happen with commercials or something. UT has some very wealthy donors that own very successful business.
Because it isn't always only about money. If he makes $200,000 at Tennessee and only makes $100,000 at Alabama, but he ends with a national title it might be worth it to him.

Dish obviously sponsors UT, so therefore they pay. Why doesn’t the athletic department agree to re-allocate six figures to key players and put their picture out there? Dish still pays the same. UT has to give up some, but they will get more in other revenue streams when they keep these good players happy. I must be missing something.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Dish obviously sponsors UT, so therefore they pay. Why doesn’t the athletic department agree to re-allocate six figures to key players and put their picture out there? Dish still pays the same. UT has to give up some, but they will get more in other revenue streams when they keep these good players happy. I must be missing something.

I don’t think the AD can do that legally. Doesn’t it have to (ostensibly) come directly from third parties?

I find it odd that he would want to go to Alabama. They have, I believe, 3 RBs coming back that were injured this year that were good enough to be playing before the injuries. They also have commits from a 5 star and 4 star RB. A lot of competition for a transfer.
Death. Taxes. Fans unable to comprehend why players go to Alabama.
Bama seemingly puts 2 RBs in the NFL every year.

VN Store

Back