'24 GA QB Jake Merklinger (Tennessee)

“The Cavaliers stomped 1-6 Groves 60-0 on Friday night, with Merklinger wasting no time in making the most of his limited reps. The Tennessee commit attempted just seven passes but completed six of them for five touchdowns and 175 yards. He also rushed once for a 5-yard score.

Calvary Day has outscored its last two opponents 116-0, and Merklinger has thrown seven touchdowns with no interceptions. The competition level won’t always be this uneven, but it’s encouraging to see Merklinger play with consistency and precision. He is 71-of-106 passing on the season for 1,404 yards, 20 touchdowns and one interception.

Calvary Day is off this week before traveling to Savannah Country Day next week.”

The Athletic

“The Cavaliers stomped 1-6 Groves 60-0 on Friday night, with Merklinger wasting no time in making the most of his limited reps. The Tennessee commit attempted just seven passes but completed six of them for five touchdowns and 175 yards. He also rushed once for a 5-yard score.

Calvary Day has outscored its last two opponents 116-0, and Merklinger has thrown seven touchdowns with no interceptions. The competition level won’t always be this uneven, but it’s encouraging to see Merklinger play with consistency and precision. He is 71-of-106 passing on the season for 1,404 yards, 20 touchdowns and one interception.

Calvary Day is off this week before traveling to Savannah Country Day next week.”

The Athletic
6-7 for 175 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Efficient.

Is this kid the sleeper of the class?
Pretty sure this stat line communicates only that he’s playing competition he and his team severely outclass, after all, football is one of the most team dependent of team sports and who knows if he’s completing 3 yard slants that his WRs are housing. Compare and contrast to George M not putting up wild statistics as a junior for BA in one of the top five or ten football divisions in the country and that’s likely because George’s team isn’t matching up well. Could Jake be the better of the two? Sure, but I wouldn’t read too much into these kinds of stat lines either good or bad since so much depends on the surrounding talent and the competition.

Reactions: walkenvol
I know this is a joke and it's pretty funny, but I imagine that this is Merklinger's way of shouting out Golesh.

My understanding is recruits self report offers, so Merk could have just not said anything.
I have no idea how it works tbh, ik he didn’t post anything on twitter though. But yea, realistically he probably was shouting out USF

"Merklinger said earlier this season that he believes Calvary Day can go undefeated, and so far, he is right on track. The Cavaliers, 8-0, cruised past 5-3 Savannah Country Day 49-0 on Friday on a light night for Merklinger.

He completed 13 of 14 passes for 289 yards and two touchdowns while also rushing five times for 17 yards and a score. He is now 84-of-120 passing for the season, good for a 70 percent completion rate, to go along with 1,693 yards and 22 touchdowns against just one interception."

The Athletic

Looking forward to there playoff run to see his stats. Merk is very accurate QB not just accurate. Very talented player I'm glad he is on Big Orange Roster next year. In CHRIST Alone

I watched his highlights after Bama game, trying to focus on something other than the depressing out come… this kid is legit. He throws on the run very well. He’s accurate and has a great feel for pressure in the pocket. He’s exactly what we need (after Nico)

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I’m telling y’all I think he will push Nico when he gets on campus next year. I also think we take a transfer QB via the portal, or via a graduate transfer.
I just want a QB who's a gamer. Hooker didn't have the physical gifts of some, but he has such an incredible feel for the position and the game. Plenty of 5-stars don't have that, plenty of 3-stars do, you just never know till the lights turn on. I get the feeling Nico/Merk both have it.

I just want a QB who's a gamer. Hooker didn't have the physical gifts of some, but he has such an incredible feel for the position and the game. Plenty of 5-stars don't have that, plenty of 3-stars do, you just never know till the lights turn on. I get the feeling Nico/Merk both have it.
Yeah I believe based off what I’ve seen, that both Nico and Merk have that awareness and feel.

I’m telling y’all I think he will push Nico when he gets on campus next year. I also think we take a transfer QB via the portal, or via a graduate transfer.
How are you going to convince a portal QB to come here and sit the bench? Merk isn’t gonna push Nico for the starting job. If he does, then Nico isn’t the QB we thought he was.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I don’t see any way you get a transfer guy that is looking for a place to start. Not saying Nico couldn’t be beat out (I have no idea), but a grad level transfer isn’t coming knowing he’s sitting there.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I don’t see any way you get a transfer guy that is looking for a place to start. Not saying Nico couldn’t be beat out (I have no idea), but a grad level transfer isn’t coming knowing he’s sitting there.
eh you find the guy who just isn't ready to hang up the cleats. maybe wants to be a coach in the future, and looking for a soft place to land. maybe someone who has some injury history, who knows he won't be a full timer, but could fill in in spots. probably someone looking for their third school

eh you find the guy who just isn't ready to hang up the cleats. maybe wants to be a coach in the future, and looking for a soft place to land. maybe someone who has some injury history, who knows he won't be a full timer, but could fill in in spots. probably someone looking for their third school
Easier said than done

VN Store

Back